Hardware help on broken usb

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my usb wont show on my computer anymore so I decided see if it works on other computers I tried on other computers but it doesn't work. I've checked disk management and when I changed the drive letter and path to Z, the usb drive shows up on my computer but then when i click on it, it just say "please insert a disk into removable disk (Z:)

ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my usb wont show on my computer anymore so I decided see if it works on other computers I tried on other computers but it doesn't work. I've checked disk management and when I changed the drive letter and path to Z, the usb drive shows up on my computer but then when i click on it, it just say "please insert a disk into removable disk (Z:)
If you tested the Usb drive on other computers and it wouldn't work or If you check on disk management and it does not pop up under volume then your Usb drive is possibly dead. Just changing the letter of the drive or path isn't going to help. Make sure the drivers are properly installed Under device manager, Universal serial bus connector. As you plug in the usb drive it should pop up on there as Mass storage if it is a storage device. You should also mention what type of usb device such an as external usb hard drive, Internal via HDD enclosure, Pen Drive, Micro Sd via Usb adapter. They each have their own way of solution.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same problem. My very first USB flash drive that I got, a 4 GB Lexar Firefly, died on me one night, though you won't believe how.

That night, I was backing up all of my old USBs that I found in a basket, which was well sheltered from heat, moisture and light. I took them all out and thought to myself, "gee, it would REALLY suck if any of these USBs died on me. Who knows what I have on them?" So one by one, I plugged them into my laptop and backed them all up. When I got to the last USB, my Lexar Firefly, I inserted it and browsed it for a few seconds. Holy shit, all these old folders of music and homework from 6-7 years ago! Good times... I back out, hit copy, then paste onto my Desktop. After a few seconds it tells me to insert it. So I'm like "wtf? It's already in!" So I try opening it. It was empty. I eject it, wait for it to say it's safe to remove, and then remove it. When I reinserted it, it said there was an error reading it. After trying a bit more, eventuallly it just stopped showing up.

How ironic is it for my USB to die on me when I intended to back it up to PREVENT such a thing from causing me any trouble in the first place? :glare:

Is there any fix for a physically dead USB? I refuse to pay $30 to someone else to fix it for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche