how do i get the new media player on a lower version of windows 10?

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want the new media player (if you don't know which one i'm talking about, here's this: https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9WZDNCRFJ3PT?hl=en-us&gl=US) for my windows 10 computer. this one replaces groove music on higher versions of windows 10. but mine doesn't have wifi to update to that higher version. how do i get it? i've tried putting the media player shortcut on a usb stick from a computer with that version, but when i connected it to my computer, the LNK file just turned into a shortcut for groove music. and even you can't copy the target type, which makes it even more impossible. help me, please.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There should be a feature called "Additional Windows Characteristics" that will let you turn on/off some Windows Apps such as Paint, Microsoft Explorer, Edge, Windows Media Player, 3D Builder, etc.

Just click on the Start Button or the Taskbar Searchbar and type "Characteristics" and the option should appear.

You don't need internet to install/uninstall these options.

Additionally, the Settings window (the gear icon) should let you associate what program to use for each type file. It's in the "Apps" option.

Thn there's this third option in which you right click the media file you want to open with Window's Media Player and choose Properties, then "Open With" and select Windows Media Player.

Reactions: BigOnYa

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but mine doesn't have wifi to update to that higher version. how do i get it?
How about an offline upgrade to latest Windows 10 version? Media Creation Tool should provide a bootable SD/USB Stick/DVD.

:!: Backup your data before any upgrade/modification! :!:

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can try pasting the link for it into this website to generate an appx for it, an appx file is basically the windows equivalent of an APK or IPK

you might have to turn on developer mode in windows to allow it to install third party applications

Micolash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can try installing it via winget ui.
iu

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but mine doesn't have wifi to update to that higher version.

Well either fix your wifi card, or buy a usb wifi dongle and get the driver for that.

i've tried putting the media player shortcut on a usb stick from a computer with that version, but when i connected it to my computer, the LNK file just turned into a shortcut for groove music. and even you can't copy the target type, which makes it even more impossible. help me, please.

Of course that ain't going to work, it is just a shortcut.

Reactions: JuanMena

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why on Earth would anyone want to use Windows Media Player when other far superior options exist?

https://potplayer.daum.net/
https://www.videolan.org/
It's all about choice.
When I was a bit younger, I thought the same way, but now, I realize most folks dont use technology like I do so they go for the smoothest option of use.
To say, some folks use the fire of the fox with the blocking of the uorigin, but if you rearrange the words and tell a normal person that and have a better experience?, they will ignore that and just want to use iphone like apps, especially when it comes to a desktop/computer environment.

Its crazy in my head but I understand better now :(

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's all about choice.
When I was a bit younger, I thought the same way, but now, I realize most folks dont use technology like I do so they go for the smoothest option of use.
To say, some folks use the fire of the fox with the blocking of the uorigin, but if you rearrange the words and tell a normal person that and have a better experience?, they will ignore that and just want to use iphone like apps, especially when it comes to a desktop/computer environment.

Its crazy in my head but I understand better now :(

First off, we're not talking about Firefox, ublock origin, or iphones. Secondly, you're right. It is about choice. But I'm asking WHY a person would choose to go with a worse performing & less capable media player over better options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto