Hardware Help me find a new PC

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. It would seem my motherboard on my PC has decided to go bad and if I can't get it going again, I'll be needing a new PC. I built this one from scratch 10 years ago as a gaming PC for about $1000. However, PC parts have advanced a ton and I have not kept up with it all. I don't really game much on my PC anymore. Once I got a Xbox 360 and now a PS4, I've never really gone back except for the random game or two. However, I do Photoshop image editing and some video editing, so I still want something decent. At least as good as I have now. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500 on a new computer.

Here's what I currently have:
Mobo: nvidia nforce 590 sli
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 something or other (I don't recall the number that came after that, I'm thinking 5000 something)
RAM: 4 x 1 GB DDR2
GPU: nvidia GeForce 8600 gt
HDD: 2 x 500 GBs

Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm hoping to just buy a preassembled PC.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here you go, I tried to keep it in a sweet spot between 500 and 1k. For video editing and photoshop this build will do quite well since I own most of these parts. The only downside is that I didnt include a GPU since you said youre not into PC gaming anymore but the built in iGPU should give you some decent performance at 720p. Plus the Procesor can be easily OCd to 4.3-4.4 with this cooler. On top of that youve got a badass mobo that overclocks like a beast and IMHO the best case that was ever made! And seeing you already own 2x500 gb HDDs you can replace the 1 TB HDD with a 840 evo SSD - that should give you an enormous speed boost!

P.S. pre assembled PCs usually cost more than theyre worth so I would suggest that you buy the parts separately and build it yourself!

alphaomegacode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went over your $500 budget, but you will be good to go for quite some time. Definitely able to overclock and more than handle your video editing. Hell, if you decide to go back in to PC gaming you will be set. The Witcher 3 maybe? Hope my link works...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sbr4mG

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The fact that you have an old broken desktop suggests to me you can reuse your case and probably PSU as well (if you can get away without a high-end dGPU).

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I have some more research to do, but I'll take your suggestions into consideration for the level I should aim for power wise. I just wish my old PC hadn't died. Then this wouldn't even be an issue :(

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.