Homebrew Hello All. Newbie Here. Homebrew 5.4.0

Dre180

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

As stated in the title i am very new to Homebrew. I had a Wii U but had traded it in for a switch when it launched. I didn't know all that can be done modding it. I've been missing the system ever since (yeah i'm one of the few who actually likes the Wii U!) so i went ahead and bought a refurb from the Nintendo store.

I was worried it would come with 5.5.2 but that was not the case, as it came with 5.4.0. Great, however i read that it's only possible to first install Haxchi on 5.5.1. My question is - Do i keep it at 5.4 and use the browser exploit instead? Is there any way to update to 5.5.1 and not 5.5.2? i would think the system would only let me update to the latest firmware. Ultimately i would really like to be able to install Haxchi. What is the best route to go in this instance? These forums are awesome and i'm sure someone here knows this much better than I. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Zillex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello @Dre180 you were right to come here, it should be pretty safe to update to 5.5.2 as there is now an exploit for that firmware but beware the exploit is very unreliable and i'm sure there are drawbacks i can't currently think of, but yes you can get haxchi on 5.5.2. if you do decide to update make sure to use dns to block further updates or delete the update folder through ftpii u everywhere BullyWiiPlaza has a video on disabling updates through ftp, Happy Modding :)

Dre180

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello @Dre180 you were right to come here, it should be pretty safe to update to 5.5.2 as there is now an exploit for that firmware but beware the exploit is very unreliable and i'm sure there are drawbacks i can't currently think of, but yes you can get haxchi on 5.5.2. if you do decide to update make sure to use dns to block further updates or delete the update folder through ftpii u everywhere BullyWiiPlaza has a video on disabling updates through ftp, Happy Modding :)

Best will be to install Haxchi while on 5.4.0 and then update to 5.5.2 and then install CBHC. Guaranteed CFW + at coldboot.

Thank you guys for the information, it is greatly appreciated. So it IS possible to install haxchi on 5.4? I thought you had to be on 5.5.1 to do so? i'm afraid to jump to 5.5.2 only bc once i do, i cannot get back to an older FW version. Id be perfectly content sitting on a lower FW verison. My understanding however, is that 5.1.1 is the best software to have for modding purposes.

Am i still able to update to 5.1.1 through disc(ie: paper mario: color splash, assuming I've blocked updates with DNS), even if i just buy the game in October, 2017, or would it have the newer 5.5.2?

Zillex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you had a big sd card you could backup your whole wii u, but if not then i would stay on 5.4.0

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you guys for the information, it is greatly appreciated. So it IS possible to install haxchi on 5.4? I thought you had to be on 5.5.1 to do so? i'm afraid to jump to 5.5.2 only bc once i do, i cannot get back to an older FW version. Id be perfectly content sitting on a lower FW verison. My understanding however, is that 5.1.1 is the best software to have for modding purposes.

Am i still able to update to 5.1.1 through disc(ie: paper mario: color splash, assuming I've blocked updates with DNS), even if i just buy the game in October, 2017, or would it have the newer 5.5.2?

Yep, just put the HB launcher (version 1.3) on your SD card (the boot.elf NEEDS to be placed at the root of your SD card) and also Haxchi, CBHC, WUP Installer (Mod Y is better) (here it will be at wiiu/apps (two folders needs to be created here) and the HB launcher channel (you will put the channel onto a install folder that you will create)

When you're ready, launch your Wii U, you open the "Web Browser" and load this page : http://loadiine.ovh/gate.php

At the option page choose "Homebrew Launcher 1.3 (5.3.2, 5.4.0, 5.5.0, 5.5.1)"

It will normally load the Homebrew Launcher. Simply install Haxchi (Know your Game ID, or else tell me which game you've installed and the region of your console, and also you CANNOT install Haxchi on a game that is on USB, it MUST be at the NAND of your console) and then install the Homebrew Channel using WUP installer.

Then, when it's done, upgrade your console to ver 5.5.2 and then launch Haxchi, relaunch the HB launcher.
Install CBHC and you're now good to go.

Hope that it's complete. Tell me if you did not understand one part. Instead, if all runned well, enjoy your hacked Wii U !

EDIT : Ha, and if you haven't installed or buyed your game, use NNU-Patcher to connect onto the eShop.

++ EDIT : And yes, since the update is on the disc and not onto the Internet (normally ?)

Last edited by sp3off,

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you make a NAND backup you can also install RedNAND. Look here:

Depends of which Wii U he have. If he have a 8 GB Wii U, better have 16 Gb. If he have a 32 Gb Wii U, better have a 64 Gb one.

And instead of buying a new SD card, since this method is kinda being obsolete right now, better directly install Haxchi and CBHC like I've said just above your post :)

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends of which Wii U he have. If he have a 8 GB Wii U, better have 16 Gb. If he have a 32 Gb Wii U, better have a 64 Gb one.

And instead of buying a new SD card, since this method is kinda being obsolete right now, better directly install Haxchi and CBHC like I've said just above your post :)
Do I really need a 64gb sd card to make a NAND backup for a 32gb console? I want to install RedNAND so bad to get SysConfig Tool!

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do I really need a 64gb sd card to make a NAND backup for a 32gb console? I want to install RedNAND so bad to get SysConfig Tool!

Yep, or else you wouldn't have space for other things, since AFAIK it uses the SD card as a internal drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Dre180 You can use homebrew to install 5.5.1 without having to update to 5.5.2.

Or this. But you won't have Online.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, or else you wouldn't have space for other things, since AFAIK it uses the SD card as a internal drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or this. But you won't have Online.

Yes, you need a 64 gig card, it's needed to backup the files. I just had a customer drop off 4 wii u, with 4 64 gig cards, talk about a time consuming day.
And a NAND backup backs up all games on System Memory too?

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum