HaxxStation: DS Download Station exploit

13 years.

The original DS was released in 2004, and to this day, no hax for Download Play had been made.

Until now.

Gericom found an exploit in DS Download Station, allowing us to run any homebrew we'd like over DS download play.

Source code for dspatch: https://github.com/Gericom/dspatch

Enjoy!

Credits:
Exploit: shutterbug2000, Gericom, and Apache Thunder
Graphics: Jaames, Robz8

And if you want to load unsupported flashcarts on a DSi:

Yes.
Here's Apache Thunder's flashcard launchers edited for HaxxStation. @shutterbug2000 should put this in the first post.
https://www.odrive.com/s/23b9f39c-ae15-4c1b-8ff7-64344fa6f2d2-5939fc7f

Attachments

• dspatch.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,279
  • dspatchv1.1.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,721
Last edited by shutterbug2000,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just as a little update to the wii thing, I've spent the last few days REing the ds download station to get an idea of whats going on and now that things are a bit more documented in it I wrote a series of ARM9 patches that allowed me to dump all the data the station sends out onto my gba ram expansion, to accompany that patch I wrote a little program that executed right when I soft reset my flashcart, that then dumped the contents of the ram onto my flashcart sd so now I have a full send cycle worth of data to go through, probably will take me quite a bit but hey, progress :)

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a little update to the wii thing, I've spent the last few days REing the ds download station to get an idea of whats going on and now that things are a bit more documented in it I wrote a series of ARM9 patches that allowed me to dump all the data the station sends out onto my gba ram expansion, to accompany that patch I wrote a little program that executed right when I soft reset my flashcart, that then dumped the contents of the ram onto my flashcart sd so now I have a full send cycle worth of data to go through, probably will take me quite a bit but hey, progress :)
So if what you're doing is essentially making a reimplementation of the Download Station, would that mean we can theoretically make a version of HaxxStation for the DS as a standalone homebrew rather than needing a Download Station ROM?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if what you're doing is essentially making a reimplementation of the Download Station, would that mean we can theoretically make a version of HaxxStation for the DS as a standalone homebrew rather than needing a Download Station ROM?
you will still require the rom because it contains the station client signed by nintendo, thats the entry point to all this.

D

Deleted User

Question about the flashcart Launchers: Are those only to load a flashcart in slot-1? or is there more I don't know?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After countless hours trying to get the wii thing any further I decided yesterday to write a patch for the station client to dump its send/receive buffers and realized that while the first bit of menu data always was received fine, no blocks at all afterwards came in and it sat there waiting forever even though I send the exact same data as the station server. Now I've spent a silly amount of time trying all sorts of combinations, buffers, wireless settings and FINALLY found what was causing it: a single byte not being set when sending the next data block, thus the wireless driver thought it always was old data and ignored it :rolleyes:
yep, this was received directly from my wii.
HNI_0051.jpg
Now I just hope sending actual ROMs goes smoothly, if not I can always go debug crazy again, these patches go quite in depth. If I get that done then the idea of sending unsigned DS ROMs to any DS via a wii/wiiu should be fully realized.

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
After countless hours trying to get the wii thing any further I decided yesterday to write a patch for the station client to dump its send/receive buffers and realized that while the first bit of menu data always was received fine, no blocks at all afterwards came in and it sat there waiting forever even though I send the exact same data as the station server. Now I've spent a silly amount of time trying all sorts of combinations, buffers, wireless settings and FINALLY found what was causing it: a single byte not being set when sending the next data block, thus the wireless driver thought it always was old data and ignored it :rolleyes:
yep, this was received directly from my wii.
HNI_0051.jpg
Now I just hope sending actual ROMs goes smoothly, if not I can always go debug crazy again, these patches go quite in depth. If I get that done then the idea of sending unsigned DS ROMs to any DS via a wii/wiiu should be fully realized.

Amazing ! :bow::bow:

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, some more updates following up the menu stuff from yesterday.
Sending over files is just the same as sending over that menu data so that part was quite easy, the REAL problem though is consistency, sending things to the ds bios itself never was a problem thanks to it sending a "OK" response with the package number inside so you were sure to never miss a package.
The download station client on the other hand NEVER sends out any "OK" response or package number, meaning yesterday in the span of probably 6 hours trying to get a game sent I was able to get the tetris ds demo sent over like, twice. Oh and that was with sending one package up to 10 times, made each send take a good 10 minutes and still nearly always had it fail with 99.xx% being received, thanks wii wifi chip for being so inconsistent.
Now today I started implementing several indirect checks such as making sure after each send I get a "keep alive" message from the ds as well as a vsync happening and making sure the wii itself did not give me any error directly after sending a package, with all those changes I now pushed down each package to only be sent 3 times, pushing down send time of tetris ds to 3 minutes and over the span of the last 25 minutes of testing this with 3 different ds systems I was able to send over the demo 6 times so I think I am on the right track, hopefully I can somehow make it faster still by at least a little bit, though I fear it will just end up taking quite a bit to send over things and I cant do anything about it because the wii wifi chip is just not as good as the ds ones for this type of stuff.

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Sending over files is just the same as sending over that menu data so that part was quite easy, the REAL problem though is consistency, sending things to the ds bios itself never was a problem thanks to it sending a "OK" response with the package number inside so you were sure to never miss a package.
The download station client on the other hand NEVER sends out any "OK" response or package number, meaning yesterday in the span of probably 6 hours trying to get a game sent I was able to get the tetris ds demo sent over like, twice. Oh and that was with sending one package up to 10 times, made each send take a good 10 minutes and still nearly always had it fail with 99.xx% being received, thanks wii wifi chip for being so inconsistent.
Now today I started implementing several indirect checks such as making sure after each send I get a "keep alive" message from the ds as well as a vsync happening and making sure the wii itself did not give me any error directly after sending a package, with all those changes I now pushed down each package to only be sent 3 times, pushing down send time of tetris ds to 3 minutes and over the span of the last 25 minutes of testing this with 3 different ds systems I was able to send over the demo 6 times so I think I am on the right track, hopefully I can somehow make it faster still by at least a little bit, though I fear it will just end up taking quite a bit to send over things and I cant do anything about it because the wii wifi chip is just not as good as the ds ones for this type of stuff.

one word: amazig!
Thanks Fix64 for this news!

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

one word: amazig!
Thanks Fix64 for this news!

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My head is broken now but I am finally done with the whole wii thing, now HaxxStation can be used directly from my little homebrew sender.
https://github.com/FIX94/wii-ds-rom-sender/releases/tag/v2.0
It may not be as fast as sending a file directly but at least it works which was hard enough.
Good sir, you understand this more than I do, what does this do and how do I make this work? Without a flashcart?

oh yeah btw that looks good.

Last edited by Luglige,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol