Hacking Haven't updated my Gateway for almost 2.5 years - not sure how to proceed

Rockstead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should be able to just follow this guide. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
If you're not going to use cheats, you may as well get rid of your Gateway card. It's outdated and unsafe, and Luma3DS with A9LH can do almost everything it can do and more.

Thank you, will that guide also show me how to backup my saves and such when moving over from Gateway to this solution?

Reactions: GalladeGuy

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, clear as mud guys :)

I thought I was confused going in, now I'm even more lost.
Ignore what everyone else said. Many of them don't have a Gateway, and don't know what they're talking about.

The bare minimum you need to do to upgrade is replace the launcher.dat on the root of your 3DS's SD card with the latest one (3.7.2) on Gateway's website.. If you're unsure of the steps, use the quick-start guide included in the download.

I recommend going a step further and installing A9LH. To do so, first follow Plailect's guide (moving emunand is optional), then follow this guide to get the Gateway card working again.

If you're not going to use cheats, you may as well get rid of your Gateway card. It's outdated and unsafe, and Luma3DS with A9LH can do almost everything it can do and more.
You're a little late to the party. I've already had a discussion about why there's no point in a Gateway owner abandoning Gateway.

There is no need to get rid of the Gateway card. It can do things free CFW cannot.

user-friendly cheats and running *.3DS ROMs.
(and many more quotes about why running 3DS ROMs is useful)

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignore what everyone else said. Many of them don't have a Gateway, and don't know what they're talking about.

The bare minimum you need to do to upgrade is replace the launcher.dat on the root of your 3DS's SD card with the latest one (3.7.2) on Gateway's website.. If you're unsure of the steps, use the quick-start guide included in the download.

I recommend going a step further and installing A9LH. To do so, first follow Plailect's guide (moving emunand is optional), then follow this guide to get the Gateway card working again.

You're a little late to the party. I've already had a discussion about why there's no point in a Gateway owner abandoning Gateway.

@Rockstead Please don't listen to this guy. Gateway cards are without a doubt inferior. The only advantage it has, .3DS support, is completely useless.

chaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yikes, clear as mud guys :)

I thought I was confused going in, now I'm even more lost.
It's actually very straight forward. I was in a very similar position a couple of weeks ago. I had an O3DS XL on v9.20 firmware, and a Gateway that hadn't been looked at for some time. I had never used emunand (I didn't even know what that was!), so couldn't run newer games that required later firmware. After looking on the Gateway website for any updates, I came across the option to install Gateway fast boot (which avoids relying on browser hacks to run the Gateway launcher), and took the plunge. It worked absolutely fine, but as others have commented, it then effectively locks you into having the gateway card inserted to start up the DS.

With a bit further reading, I realised that I should have followed the Plailect guide and installed the stock A9LH and NOT the one installed with the Gateway fast boot. I therefore reflashed my DS back to original firmware using the link I supplied above, and then followed the Plailect guide. I haven't looked back since. I now run LumaDS CFW, and can also run Gateway by holding dpad down button on boot (it's called chain loading, and is part of the CFW).

Reactions: Garou

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I do have gateway, and for someone like op who obviously isn't doing rom hacks, or doesn't have a deep understanding of how the hax work, the gw is not only useless, its potentially dangerous.

Last edited by WeedZ,
Reactions: GalladeGuy

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://scmods.com/gw_guide/GWFB-1.0.pdf It's literally in the presetup section.
Pre-Setup
This is a potentially dangerous operation, please be sure you understand the risks before continuing and be sure to have your 3DS plugged into the outlet during the entire procedure.
Step 1:
Copy the contents of the “Red Card uSD” to the MicroSD card inside your GatewayRed Cart, which will be just the “Gateway_TM.3ds” file.

Step 2:
Copy the contents of the “Console” portion of the .zip to your internal SD Card:

Step 3:
Make sure you have a WiFi connection configured and working with NO blocking features enabled (i.e. TubeHax DNS).
Then it goes to the o3ds/n3ds install buttons.
NO MENTION OF BACKUP YOUR NAND!

Last edited by xtheman,

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pre-Setup
This is a potentially dangerous operation, please be sure you understand the risks before continuing and be sure to have your 3DS plugged into the outlet during the entire procedure.
Step 1:
Copy the contents of the “Red Card uSD” to the MicroSD card inside your GatewayRed Cart, which will be just the “Gateway_TM.3ds” file.

Step 2:
Copy the contents of the “Console” portion of the .zip to your internal SD Card:

Step 3:
Make sure you have a WiFi connection configured and working with NO blocking features enabled (i.e. TubeHax DNS).
Then it goes to the o3ds/n3ds install buttons.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 149

chaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure a backup NAND.bin file is automatically generated as part of the Gateway time machine downgrade process. It's how the Gateway downgrade gets you back from v2.1 to your original firmware version. This backup file doesn't get deleted when the downgrade / fast boot installation process is finished.

Edit - ok the post above indicates that you need to manually generate the NAND.bin file. I couldn't quite remember.

Last edited by chaser,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
The only advantage it has, .3DS support, is completely useless.
Saying that it's "completely useless" is incorrect. What's more correct is to say that you have no use for it. Here are 3 uses.
  • Saves not being locked to the console (not applicable for those with only 1 console)
  • The wait for CIA installation not being required
  • Extra storage space (2 microSDs has more storage potential than 1).

This means that it's not "completely useless". Whether or not any of these apply to the OP is a different question, and I don't know if the OP has mentioned whether or not any of these are important. Regardless, these come at no extra cost to Gateway owners.

ts potentially dangerous.
How so? The only thing that comes to mind is updating in sysNAND, which they don't officially support. (And don't say their private beta is unsafe. Any private beta touching sysNAND is considered unsafe.)

It's not part of pre-setup, it's part of the actual setup.

Gateway actually requires the presence of a NAND.bin before installing Fastboot (as in it won't let you install their A9LH implementation without one). It will, however, let you downgrade without one, but since this is a private beta, no one has any business using it at all without already having a NAND backup.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying that it's "completely useless" is incorrect. What's more correct is to say that you have no use for it. Here are 3 uses.
  • Saves not being locked to the console (not applicable for those with only 1 console)
  • The wait for CIA installation not being required
  • Extra storage space (2 microSDs has more storage potential than 1).
Even if saves are not console locked they still are unlikely to be used on a different console.
Most update to date cfw users use FreeShop which install games as quickly as the eShop.
Extra storage cost more money.
Also .3ds roms take up more data then .cia roms.

It's not part of pre-setup, it's part of the actual setup.

Gateway actually requires the presence of a NAND.bin before installing Fastboot (as in it won't let you install their A9LH implementation without one). It will, however, let you downgrade without one, but since this is a private beta, no one has any business using it at all without already having a NAND backup.

Once fastboot is installed user might delete NAND backup on accident and they are screwed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I disagree. I was able to remove the Gateway Fast Boot (their A9LH implementation) by simply using the Gateway Launcher to reflash the NAND.bin that was backed up as part of the Time Machine downgrade process. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-restoring-nand-without-hardware-method.378259/
No, not really. For one, from past experiences, Gateways Time Machine (for me at least) has proven more fruitful results than that of PlaiSys. I can't say the same for everyone, however.

Also, it's not hard to remove Fastboot at all. If you follow the guide, you'll be prompted to make a backup before starting anything. If you wanna get rid of Fastboot, simply restore that NAND backup with Gateway's menu. The same goes for bricks with Fastboot installed.

Of course, it's still not something I'd recommend, as it's still in beta phase, and Gateway isn't developed far enough (no GBA or DS/DSiWare) for people to be locked to their CFW primarily.
Fari enough, I don't have past experance with them, so I am going by what I have read.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How so? The only thing that comes to mind is updating in sysNAND, which they don't officially support. (And don't say their private beta is unsafe. Any private beta touching sysNAND is considered unsafe.)
aside from the brick code that they are so known for you have their unstable software.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's perfectly fine to use Gateway in just SysNAND with no EmuNAND - I've been doing this for months. They discourage it because updating in SysNAND will cause a brick due to them not implementing FIRM protection. So don't do it.

Jasin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I am kind of in the same boat. I have a gateway for my new 3dsxl. I'm on sysnand 9.02 and emunand 10.something. I'm a little more confused from all the back and forth debate. I only use it when I fly out for work.

Just a few dumb questions. When a new update comes out I can wait for gateway to support it and then update emunand while leaving sysnand safe.

With the cfw everyone is talking about its just sysnand right? You are able to update directly but what would happen if they find a way to block this? How would you roll back?

I've read people talking about downgrading to 2.0 but new 3ds came with 9, that's safe to do?

Only other question. If one were to buy a new 3ds today is there a certain serial number you need to have or can you downgrade any?

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    some bluray rips are kinda crappy, remuxes are a more safe bet, but i usually don't have trouble finding a good rip, there are certain groups to avoid and some to look out for
    @RedColoredStars netflix really is bad quality but some of the other streaming services aren't too bad. i think i've had good quality from disney+
    amazon seems decent enough
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Piracy is free, but my usenet subscription and the NASes I built to hold everything aren't :tpi: :rofl2:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol choosing disney+ over Netflix of course they cap tier quality per subscription
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    hi peepls
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, All software should be free use tbh
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Throw in a ad or two I don't care as long as I can use it
    indeed
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No ads please I'll pay for the software (or pirate it) 😭
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If it means full use and not locked down features give me the ad
    k3n why does it say you are the village idiot lmaoooo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because I'm the village idiot
    +1
    ah I see have a nice day lmao
    gba temp is a small village of idiots its great
    I love it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I haven't been upgraded to village hoe yet
    thats a shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's one of the finest honors at temp
  • Vulpeka @ Vulpeka:
    I was here in 2008
    says you joined 2009
  • Vulpeka @ Vulpeka:
    Yeah
    after i got my acecard i joined
  • Vulpeka @ Vulpeka:
    Lurking
  • Vulpeka @ Vulpeka:
    At least we are busier than gamefaqs
    this place def has enough people on it that it feelscozy
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: this place def has enough people on it that it feelscozy