Have you ever had to stop playing a game due to being too unlucky?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there's no such thing as LUCK. it was created by humans it doesn't actually exist!
Theoretically no such thing as true randomness exists in a normal working computer.
In practice (pseudo-) random numbers generators are sufficient to simulate true randomness. Unless you are playing with the merciless precision of TAS-Bot, hand-eye-coordination isn't enough to make a game react always the same.

Where is the skill when trying to catch Pokémon? You can vastly increase odds by draining HP, inflicting status ailments and using different Pokéballs, but you can't be sure to press the button in the correct millisecond for a guaranteed victory (=catch).
======

What I always wondered is if some games have an RNG value determined at start to modify odds in game for the following session. Sometimes I get the feeling Mario Kart Wii for example will constantly spam the player with the blue shell, the [POW], the lightning ⚡, one after another in almost every race; to the point where it becomes ridiculous to believe this is "bad luck" in each race. That is the point where I stop playing Mario Kart Wii. Other times the opponents aren't as lucky and the player actually gets a chance.

Reactions: mrgone

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country
MANY games, especially newer games, fiddle with the percentages they give the player.
If in X-com they tell you there is a 90% chance to hit with a shot, it's likely more like 96%. This is done to "cheat" the player into having a better time. People love then they beat the odds and hit on that 10% chance shot, but they can immediately start to think that the game cheats if they miss a 90% shot. Therefore, they make that risk of missing smaller than it seems.

This is a very common thing in game development. I'm sure you can find videoes about it on YT.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If in X-com they tell you there is a 90% chance to hit with a shot, it's likely more like 96%. This is done to "cheat" the player into having a better time. People love then they beat the odds and hit on that 10% chance shot, but they can immediately start to think that the game cheats if they miss a 90% shot. Therefore, they make that risk of missing smaller than it seems.
90% chance to hit in XCOM feels more like a 100% chance, but a 99% chance to hit feels more like a 50% chance. :D

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country
90% chance to hit in XCOM feels more like a 100% chance, but a 99% chance to hit feels more like a 50% chance. :D
heh. I don't know specifics of Xcom. I just used it as an example, because I remember it directly displays percentages.
However, the cheating is not only done in games that deal in explicit percentages.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Me and metroid dread, sitting on the final boss, cant for the life of me finnish it, have had to put it down for fear of yeeting the switch across the room
Ah yeah, he's a doozy. Using the storm missiles really helps chip him down. Patience gets you everywhere!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting premise for a thread. That said not unless you count the few times I play online games that all but require serious teamwork and get teamed up with morons that want to do the one man action film thing but lack anything like the skills to do it, and then repeatedly fail at it.

dudeguy2022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only time that I've quit a game from being too unlucky is dark souls remastered because I only got titanite chunks from the black knights

Reactions: AncientBoi

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually me any time I play Mario Kart or Mario Party. Yet I still play them.
I swear, the dice rolls in Mario Party are rigged.
100% the dice rolls are rigged. The other day myself and the boyfriend were playing Mario party 6 set at twenty turns. Every single turn I rolled a 1. How the fuck is it possible to roll 1 twenty times in a row. It had to be rigged :rofl2:

I didn't even do one lap of the frigging game board lol.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
100% the dice rolls are rigged. The other day myself and the boyfriend were playing Mario party 6 set at twenty turns. Every single turn I rolled a 1. How the fuck is it possible to roll 1 twenty times in a row. It had to be rigged :rofl2:

It seems like if I get a high roll on the roll to see who goes first, every dice roll after that will be a 1-3. It never fails.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't abandoned a game over bad luck, but I have eschewed specific parts of certain games that were almost entirely luck-dependent. It simply isn't fun to repeat something over and over and over with no reward, wasting potentially hours on what is literally the luck of the draw.

Stand-outs include trying to farm for lottery winnings on the early Dragon Quest games (looking dead at you, Dragon Quest II), rare drops like the Crissaegrim from Symphony of the Night, and trying to get all of the more rare capsules from the original DBZ Budokai.

For the latter, I simply gave up trying to get anything randomly and had to bruteforce it by buying the maximum number of literally every other capsule for sale in the game, just to get to the better stuff. Not fun.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is a great video series about determining the luck in the games by Zoomzike. He has covered Mario Party 1-7. In 1-3 the dice rolls are per-determined.

Last edited by Ryab,

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kind of. Once played a peach in melee that pulled 2 bob-ombs (0.26% chance) in a row. Then right after he pulled a beam sword (0.13% chance).
I was on my last stock, he still had three. Sometimes you just gotta accept your fate and take the L.
I've also had some terrible boss RNG with Allwise in Arc Rise Fantasia for Wii. I remember the fight approaching the 2hr mark because he kept healing himself and then got into a softlock because of a bug in the game. I still beat him in the end, but I definitely took a long break from the game before I did lol.

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a great question! In the age of F2P Gachas; I'm guessing many have quit due to bad luck. Myself included. Still playing World Flipper though! After 2 years! But was just about to quit this week when a meta unit rolled and now I'm hooked back in for awhile lol

Chambers09

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
in terms of passing games, I’m definitely much luckier, but I still often stop playing, if I lose interest once, I don’t torture myself anymore

McLeanParsons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as funny as it may be, but this is minecraft, I just spent a bunch of hours digging, extracting resources, and I just died with all my things far from the point of rebirth, and couldn't find things, and stopped playing because I spent 5-6 hours on it, after that I came back and created a new world, and so again and again, therefore, I have not yet passed vanilla, only with mods I successfully passed the game

• Wow
Reactions: dudeguy2022

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head