Hacking Have you been banned? If so, post here. Wanna see if we can find the source of the problem.

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My theory is they have banned 2 popular names in the hacking scene as a warning for everyone else. Nintendo realise they can't do anything to stop the Switch being hacked on the current hardwre so they are trying to cripple it as much as possible so users are forced to buy a new switch. However I think Nintendo are waiting for the new Mariko revision to be in production before they start implementing ban waves so people are made to purchase the new Switch version.

Personally I don't care about online play at all so doesnt bother me the slightest.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Error 2124-4007 = Nintendo account suspension/ban.
So no, it wasn't CDN-related, he said he could still update games which means his cert is still auth'd.
Pretty sure its CDN related.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-22-18-39-24.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-22-18-39-24.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 412

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
Love that a ban stops you from accessing the eshop, thus preventing you potentially buying games in the future. It's almost like Nintendo doesn't want your money.

Ban from online gaming and trading sure, but not allowing you to buy games is rediculous.
Nintendo is playing 4D chess. They don't want you buying just games. They know people will buy a whole new console, and games on top of that probably. :creep:

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My theory is they have banned 2 popular names in the hacking scene as a warning for everyone else. Nintendo realise they can't do anything to stop the Switch being hacked on the current hardwre so they are trying to cripple it as much as possible so users are forced to buy a new switch. However I think Nintendo are waiting for the new Mariko revision to be in production before they start implementing ban waves so people are made to purchase the new Switch version.

Personally I don't care about online play at all so doesnt bother me the slightest.
Same opinion here... I think nintendo won't start the ban wave right away and just keep banning 1 or 2 for now to keep scarying, they will let everything get released and let everyone go online thinking yeah hacking and online is safe and then BOOM banwave on millions...

At least that's how M$ likes it, they specially wait for a new triple A to come out to then start the ban hammer again LOL and M$ specially loved ppl playing online games before they even came out even when it was the original game lol, though I think some could get unbanned as they were reviewers and went online before the right time, while others probably had stolen games from factory, like a few that got caught with their cars full of games stolen and had to pay millions on court.

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: achandab

TAUSENN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo is playing 4D chess. They don't want you buying just games. They know people will buy a whole new console, and games on top of that probably. :creep:
And when they open it up it will be a mariko, stealthily launched and sent to stores in the middle of the night.

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm pretty noob to this whole CDN thing. Would using TX mod chip and OS trigger any flags with Nintendo related to CDN? Are we still safe to use it even offline?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty noob to this whole CDN thing. Would using TX mod chip and OS trigger any flags with Nintendo related to CDN? Are we still safe to use it even offline?

They were accessing the CDN from their PC's using their Switch's personal certificate. If you're noob to it all you probably are fine considering this includes dumping your NAND, extracting your certificate, and using an applicable CDN program on your PC to gain access to it. Also, this is why TX suggests staying in offline mode until they can research more and see if their product can cause potential bans in the future.

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
I have not been banned but I think most bans will be because of downloading unauthorized content from CDN servers, It's impossible to download anything from Nintendo Switch CDN servers without them knowing what certificate is downloading the files, no matter how hard you try to spoof your console hardware ID or OS version, it's f*king useless because we still need a private certificate from a console, and that certificate is only allowed to download what nintendo wants it to download, that's why Nintendo is using this system, they are tired of letting random people download games from their servers for free and they will ban every certificate that tries to do it, now or in a year, and once they ban a certificate... bye bye. the only safe way is to use a certificate from a friend (will be banned anyway) or a secret certificate that has access to every file in the CDN servers but in the end it could be banned as well because mass use. Also forget about generating custom certificates, they are pre created by Nintendo. Right now the worst thing we can do is download anything that our certificates "don't own", it's like stealing from a supermarket full of cameras, security guys will see us and will report us to the police. The only ultra safe thing we can do is download what we have already downloaded with our consoles like demos, system updates or updates from games that we own, purchased games from eshop or updates for cartridges that have been already played in our cosoles but wait, there's more, all cartridges have an unique ID and nintendo knows what cartridge we are trying to download the update for, so if magically hundreds of consoles try to download updates for the same cartridge at the same time or a cartridge with a wrong ID, they could easily flag and ban our certs.

Remember, no certificate = no download, so better wait for other heroes to download the files and upload them to another servers so we can download them safely.

I'd also go one step further. Looking into the cart dumps by BBB, they've "proper'ed" all their old releases prior to December 20th 2017, when they noticed that there is a Cart Certificate at 0x2000 - 0x2200. Ask yourself a simple question: Why go back and re-release all these dumps if the Cart Cert isn't unique per cart ? If every cart copy of Breath of the Wild has the exact same certificate, then there's no way of knowing which release BBB did, compared to anyone else's cart. My guess is that they've dumped a game from multiple different carts and realised there is a cart unique certificate. All BBB released now come with this area filled with "blank" info (FF's).

So, why would Nintendo do this ? To keep track of dumped carts / games. It's pure speculation, but I'd guess that this cart cert may be stored by the console and then possibly reported back to Nintendo. If multiple copies of the same game are seen to be running simultaneously, then you may well expect to be banned as well. Isn't this what happened with the 3DS and the Sky3DS cart, playing certain roms ?

To be honest, I'm surprised Nintendo jumped on banning people so soon. I would have thought it best to wait a few months, give people a false sense of security, then ban a heap of people simultaneously. The next 6 months are going to be interesting.

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They were accessing the CDN from their PC's using their Switch's personal certificate. If you're noob to it all you probably are fine considering this includes dumping your NAND, extracting your certificate, and using an applicable CDN program on your PC to gain access to it. Also, this is why TX suggests staying in offline mode until they can research more and see if their product can cause potential bans in the future.

Cheers bud, all i wanted to hear. Thanks!

Reactions: Maximilious

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Playing offline should not result in bans since the only way Nintendo can know that you've modified your switch is when you go online. But to be honest at this point no one can tell you with 100% confidence what will trigger or not a ban. Safest bet is to watch the scene as more is discovered.

Last edited by lukhart,
Reactions: achandab

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a way to check your system for ban if you don't own Splatoon 2?

I remember trying to get CDN working at one point, but never succeeded (didn't care enough to get it working).

goonbag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd also go one step further. Looking into the cart dumps by BBB, they've "proper'ed" all their old releases prior to December 20th 2017, when they noticed that there is a Cart Certificate at 0x2000 - 0x2200. Ask yourself a simple question: Why go back and re-release all these dumps if the Cart Cert isn't unique per cart ? If every cart copy of Breath of the Wild has the exact same certificate, then there's no way of knowing which release BBB did, compared to anyone else's cart. My guess is that they've dumped a game from multiple different carts and realised there is a cart unique certificate. All BBB released now come with this area filled with "blank" info (FF's).

So, why would Nintendo do this ? To keep track of dumped carts / games. It's pure speculation, but I'd guess that this cart cert may be stored by the console and then possibly reported back to Nintendo.
It's definitely sent back to Nintendo if you register your cart for My Nintendo points (and how else would that work unless each cart had a unique number?)

Reactions: TAUSENN

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
It's definitely sent back to Nintendo if you register your cart for My Nintendo points (and how else would that work unless each cart had a unique number?)

3DS Games previously had a card insert in the packaging with a unique code printed on them. You entered that code into the My Nintendo website to activate the product. I only have a few eShop games at the moment, so I don't know whether this is still the case. I'm loathe to spend the excessive prices we Australians are expected to pay for a lot of the ports, which can be picked up on Steam for significantly less that the Switch versions.

myunholysins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When people are getting banned is it just their nintendo ID? So couldnt they just restore the Nintendo switch and make a new account. Or is it the nintendo switch system being banned as a whole by some kind of unique ID, like a serial number.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This time I don't think those codes cards come anymore... they are built-in the flashcard you have to send it from the console to nintendo to get rewards, nintendo really thought on everything LOL...

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also go one step further. Looking into the cart dumps by BBB, they've "proper'ed" all their old releases prior to December 20th 2017, when they noticed that there is a Cart Certificate at 0x2000 - 0x2200. Ask yourself a simple question: Why go back and re-release all these dumps if the Cart Cert isn't unique per cart ?
The earlier releases were in a different, less complete format, that contained the filesystem of the game but not a whole cart dump (and not the cart certificate). The proper re-releases were in the complete (except for removed cart certificate) dump format they've been using since.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E