Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to call attention to SquirrelKiev who was banned back in May and only used homebrew. The important part here is he is nowhere near the first and will most certainly not be the last. While bans for the most part have dramatically stopped occurring, mostly due to emuMMC, they can still occur regardless of what tools you use. And if you would like to respond with a rebuttal, please read all of the following bullet points before posting:
  • This is NOT a statement that any usage of CFW/homebrew WILL ban you. As explained in the first post, any usage of CFW/homebrew CAN ban you. I am not here to argue statistical chances but only to bring light that it is a possibility
  • Your own personal experiences or of those you know do not invalidate the experiences of others. Everyone is not treated the same by Nintendo
  • Accusations of lying is not a valid argument. Without solid evidence to refute someone's statement, it is considered truthful. Taking into account both the Truth-default theory and Occam's Razor, the truth is the best conclusion to believe

MarioSonicU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I just got my console banned. Got the 2181 error today on my sysnand. Don't know why though, Could it be because I used mods online (visual mods, not gameplay altering ones)? Cuase I never installed any pirated content.

• Sad
Reactions: Blythe93

belliq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I just got my console banned. Got the 2181 error today on my sysnand. Don't know why though, Could it be because I used mods online (visual mods, not gameplay altering ones)? Cuase I never installed any pirated content.
There are a limited number of mods in a limited number of games that are safe to use, usually visual mods don't bring a ban so this is interesting. Would you mind listing specifically what you were using so others can avoid it in the future?

Sara_06515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a limited number of mods in a limited number of games that are safe to use, usually visual mods don't bring a ban so this is interesting. Would you mind listing specifically what you were using so others can avoid it in the future?
I'm also very curious about which game(s) and mods were used for this ban to happen.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The question is for @MarioSonicU. I, too, am waiting for their response. The user seems to not be bothered about leaving people hanging.

Looking at their post history, they have had some issues with Xenoverse 2 reshades breaking their game. I don't know what visual mods are "safe", but it looks like the process for modding Xenoverse 2 was pretty invasive.

Last edited by tabzer,

eddz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd like to call attention to SquirrelKiev who was banned back in May and only used homebrew. The important part here is he is nowhere near the first and will most certainly not be the last. While bans for the most part have dramatically stopped occurring, mostly due to emuMMC, they can still occur regardless of what tools you use. And if you would like to respond with a rebuttal, please read all of the following bullet points before posting:
  • This is NOT a statement that any usage of CFW/homebrew WILL ban you. As explained in the first post, any usage of CFW/homebrew CAN ban you. I am not here to argue statistical chances but only to bring light that it is a possibility
  • Your own personal experiences or of those you know do not invalidate the experiences of others. Everyone is not treated the same by Nintendo
  • Accusations of lying is not a valid argument. Without solid evidence to refute someone's statement, it is considered truthful. Taking into account both the Truth-default theory and Occam's Razor, the truth is the best conclusion to believe
Doesn't booting into CFW on emunand (ie. Atmosphere) remove your serial number? If so, then how can you get banned if Nintendo don't see the serial number of your Switch to ban it?
Even if they ban your account, can't you create a new account and keep using the same Switch?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Doesn't booting into CFW on emunand (ie. Atmosphere) remove your serial number? If so, then how can you get banned if Nintendo don't see the serial number of your Switch to ban it?

AFAIK, you currently have to take additional steps to remove your serial number. Many people who are getting banned are not using CFW with emunand/emumcc, but using the CFW with hacks/mods and not protecting themselves. Many people want to try getting away with playing online, cheating, etc with TOS breaking methods.

Even if they ban your account, can't you create a new account and keep using the same Switch?

If they ban the account, yes. But from what I've seen, they ban the switch. If we could find a way to generate legitimate serial numbers/console IDs, it might be a path to getting around the bans.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but Occam's razor says those people simply don't realize what they did, but it was more than simply running homebrew. If running sysnand in cfw mode, any sysmodules you have setup for emummc, are still running in sysnand if you're in cfw mode. Tinfoil is homebrew, and not necessarily an .nsp, but it still installs itself to the home screen when you run it, and WILL ban you the next time you open the e-shop. incognito messes with your prodinfo. Opening OFW even once while incognito is active can trigger a log, since Atmosphere isn't intercepting the err reports.

Mods, cheats, installing any kind of fake ticket (you've done that if you see it on your home screen), and perhaps certain sysmodules while online. That's what gets you banned.

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. But you can prove that something does exist, or did happen. So point me to the homebrew that caused a ban. I have no problem trying it on my not-banned OLED. It's not about lying, it's about ignorance.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

eddz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
AFAIK, you currently have to take additional steps to remove your serial number.

What are those steps? From what I see using HATS package out of the box will do the DNS blocks in Atmosphere (hosts files) and the serial number is removed rom the Settings menu. Is that enough? That doesn't include Incognito.

If I install Incognito could I stil boot into sysnand OFW and play online (without any hacked/pirated games/cheats/etc)?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
What are those steps? From what I see using HATS package out of the box will do the DNS blocks in Atmosphere (hosts files) and the serial number is removed rom the Settings menu. Is that enough? That doesn't include Incognito.

If I install Incognito could I stil boot into sysnand OFW and play online (without any hacked/pirated games/cheats/etc)?
if you want to remove your console serial, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONNECT TO NETWORK with out setting you DNS, using 90DNS and/or Atmosphère's DNSMiTM.

Once you setup DNS you can boot your (Emu)Nand.

Reactions: BigOnYa

eddz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you want to remove your console serial, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONNECT TO NETWORK with out setting you DNS, using 90DNS and/or Atmosphère's DNSMiTM.

Once you setup DNS you can boot your (Emu)Nand.

My plan here is:

1) Boot into emunand CFW with pirated games along with DNS blocking and Incognito (I see that Atmosphere config can do this too, so incognito isn't really needed... but the result is the same with PRODINFO is blocked/blanked). I also will be going online to use things like Tinfoil or Homebrew etc. I know I can't play online games or use the Nintendo eShop here.
[EDIT: Looks like Atmosphere PRODINFO blanking is broken, just an FYI that Incognito is needed to do this still]

I also want to be able to:

2) Boot into sysnand OFW with bought games. Get online to play online and use the eShop. I don't plan to do anything piratey on sysnand OFW. I won't be using Incognito on sysnand.

Would this plan work? Is there anything I need to do to protect myself from a ban whilst online in emunand CFW?

Last edited by eddz,
Reactions: tabzer and impeeza

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My plan here is:

1) Boot into emunand CFW with pirated games along with DNS blocking and Incognito (I see that Atmosphere config can do this too, so incognito isn't really needed... but the result is the same PRODINFO is blocked/blanked). I also will be going online to use things like Tinfoil or Homebrew etc. I know I can't play online games or use the Nintendo eShop here.

I also want to be able to:

2) Boot into sysnand OFW with bought games. Get online to play online and use the eShop. I don't plan to do anything piratey on sysnand OFW.

Would this plan work? Is there anything I need to do to protect myself from a ban whilst online in emunand CFW?
Yes, that's how most people been doing it for years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps