Hacking Has anyone ever had trouble getting a game to load?

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case specifically, A Link Between Worlds will not work as a .cia/eShop title. I can load up Classic mode and run the retail cart, and it will run just fine. But while in Gateway mode, the .cia won't start, and it will hang at the "Nintendo 3DS" logo until I hold the power button. It doesn't matter if it is a .cia I convert myself or if I get it from elsewhere - both will freeze, regardless of which region the game is from too. Loading the game from BigBlueMenu will also freeze the system.

I've also had issues with Pokemon Rumble Blast, as it has similar behavior (retail cart in Classic mode works, .cia in Gateway mode doesn't), but it will instead kick me back to the Home menu and force me to reboot instead of outright freezing the entire system.

I have a EUR New3DS - this happens on both 9.0 and 9.4 emuNAND, so I don't think the version is relevant to the issue.

Has anyone else run into this?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my case specifically, A Link Between Worlds will not work as a .cia/eShop title. I can load up Classic mode and run the retail cart, and it will run just fine. But while in Gateway mode, the .cia won't start, and it will hang at the "Nintendo 3DS" logo until I hold the power button. It doesn't matter if it is a .cia I convert myself or if I get it from elsewhere - both will freeze, regardless of which region the game is from too. Loading the game from BigBlueMenu will also freeze the system.

I've also had issues with Pokemon Rumble Blast, as it has similar behavior (retail cart in Classic mode works, .cia in Gateway mode doesn't), but it will instead kick me back to the Home menu and force me to reboot instead of outright freezing the entire system.

I have a EUR New3DS - this happens on both 9.0 and 9.4 emuNAND, so I don't think the version is relevant to the issue.

I have heard of similar issues and they sometimes are blamed on fragmentation errors, but that is usually with roms on the GW and not cia. I assume you are using two different mSD cards with the two emunands? Would be a weird coincidence that both cards had file system issues, unless your card reader on the PC is acting flakey. That has happened to me.

One of my boys is running it as a rom. Have you tried that to see what happens as a .3ds?

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard of similar issues and they sometimes are blamed on fragmentation errors, but that is usually with roms on the GW and not cia. I assume you are using two different mSD cards with the two emunands? Would be a weird coincidence that both cards had file system issues, unless your card reader on the PC is acting flakey. That has happened to me.

One of my boys is running it as a rom. Have you tried that to see what happens as a .3ds?
It runs, just like the cartridge does. All of my issues seem to be due to the game being a .cia. My card shouldn't have any fragmentation errors; I know this happens to an unlucky few, but bought the best I could get - PNY 64GB Class 10/UHS-1. I would understand that being an issue for the cheaper cards, as I had an old crappy class 2 SD card completely fry on me while I was using it in my old 3DS.

As for the card reader, I don't use a USB/SD reader, but rather one built into my computer. I use that to directly read/write from my microSD. I haven't had any issues with it in the past, so I don't currently have a reason to suspect something is wrong with it (on top of other games working 100% fine).
In addition to what thorasgar said, did you make the .cia yourself?
Yes. I have explained that this issue will occur on .cias I have created myself, using a few different conversion methods, as well as a .cia obtained online. Seeing as all of the .cias for this particular title do not run, but other games I have installed do not give me issues, I highly doubt that anything is wrong about .cias themselves or the way they have been converted. I suspect some other random issue on the system is preventing it from running.

the cia you are using are most likely broken.
I have used multiple .cias, including a publicly available one. I doubt the latter would have anything wrong with it, as the bad .cia would have been pulled long ago and replaced with a working one.

Is there anyone with a New 3DS that would be able to test and confirm that this game will work as an eShop title? Worst-case scenario, I'll reformat my entire card, check every last sector to ensure nothing is wrong with it, and set up emuNAND once more. But before I do that, I really want to know if this is an issue specific to the New 3DS.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope I can get this figured out soon.

M tha MaN

Trophies
Website
www.psxtools.de
XP
Country
Germany
Same here with ALBW on a 2DS with SysNAND 9.2.0 and EmuNAND from 9.2.0 to 10.6.0 and 10.7.0.

Reformatting the SD didn't help. Other CIA games work and even ALBW CIA works on a other 3DS.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The two games you are having problems with work fine for me as cia games so must be something wrong with your setup either on the sd card or system

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They didn't quote me. I don't get notifications (much less respond to a post this old) unless I'm quoted.
Ok but I also don't always look at the dates that something was posted if it's on the first page here it tends to be a new thread not my fault someone else commented on your thread and it then showed up on the first page.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, thx