Hackers release playable PC builds of Pokémon Legends Arceus and more following Game Freak gigaleak

ca-times.brightspotcdn.jpg

We recently reported that Game Freak suffered a security breach which led to a huge amount of confidential data being leaked such as game source codes and internal design documents.

During the cyber attack, the hackers also obtained native PC builds of Pokémon Legends Arceus as well as builds of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl.

Now these official PC versions of the games have been cracked and are available to find online meaning they can be played on PC without the need for emulation though it seems compatibility may be an isuse with specific Nvidia cards and drivers being required.

The builds of Pokémon BDSP appear to be close to final debug builds, and Pokémon Legends Arceus is an early prototype build. These PC editions, made during internal testing and development of the games were most likely never intended to be publically released on PC and their releases are sure to further infuriate Nintendo and Game Freak who have already seen so much data leak.

Please remember that sharing copyrighted content or links to where it can be found even through PMs is against the GBAtemp ToS and your posts and accounts can/will be immediately terminated without warning if you do not follow our Terms and Rules.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If this is true : https://x.com/CentroLeaks/status/1846951578722328771

Then I don't know how it didn't happen sooner.
I mean, we knew that GameFreak were just blatantly incompetent when it comes to making functional games, but idk why I didn't even expect something like that to ever happen ... I don't think we realize the sheer amount of pure incompetence that runs rampant is so many companies. You would think that they would keep their secrets locked behind at least decent security.
But a chmod 777 ? One of the first rules you learn when studying IT is giving the smallest privilege required, and nothing requires full access.

Even when building a home lab or building ephemeral stuff on my VPS, I cringe and can't feel satisfied when using root or 777. And they're using that on their servers ?????? That's just crazy

Idk, sometimes I struggle a bit with impostor syndrome, feeling like I must absolutely master things in order to feel at least competent and confident about what I'm doing, would probably be so much worse if it involved such important data. But after that, and even the crowdstrike incident for that matter .... makes me think that some people should feel that syndrome and maybe revise their stuff before working again.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is actually badass, so they have all the tools needed to port Switch games to PC but it would never happen for as long as Nintendo have success in the game consoles market.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about non-Pokémon games? Is there something for, let's say, Drill Dozer or Pulseman (yes, the one in my profile picture)?
The gigaleak was from Game Freak, so I'd wager probably not unless Game Freak also had a hand in producing those games.
Even if they did, Pokemon will undoubtedly remain front and center in discussions and news.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If this is true : https://x.com/CentroLeaks/status/1846951578722328771

Then I don't know how it didn't happen sooner.
I mean, we knew that GameFreak were just blatantly incompetent when it comes to making functional games, but idk why I didn't even expect something like that to ever happen ... I don't think we realize the sheer amount of pure incompetence that runs rampant is so many companies. You would think that they would keep their secrets locked behind at least decent security.
But a chmod 777 ? One of the first rules you learn when studying IT is giving the smallest privilege required, and nothing requires full access.

Even when building a home lab or building ephemeral stuff on my VPS, I cringe and can't feel satisfied when using root or 777. And they're using that on their servers ?????? That's just crazy

Idk, sometimes I struggle a bit with impostor syndrome, feeling like I must absolutely master things in order to feel at least competent and confident about what I'm doing, would probably be so much worse if it involved such important data. But after that, and even the crowdstrike incident for that matter .... makes me think that some people should feel that syndrome and maybe revise their stuff before working again.
Sounds plausible enough, but doesn't explain how that gitlab config file ended up in the hands of an unauthorized person. Only someone who already has some level of access to internal servers would have access to that. So it would still have to be an inside job.
Post automatically merged:

The gigaleak was from Game Freak, so I'd wager probably not unless Game Freak also had a hand in producing those games.
Even if they did, Pokemon will undoubtedly remain front and center in discussions and news.
Little Town Hero then :P

SDA

Neo Tokyo, HERE I COME!
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
These two games WERE made by Game Freak, yes. Pulseman was on the Sega Genesis.

Reactions: Vorde and 4d1xlaan

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, did this game use a well-established engine? What language was it written in? Were all the build tools included in the leak as well?

oh i'm fucking loving the ramifications from taking down RYU keep them fucking coming!
You can't seriously believe that none of this would have happened if they'd just left "RYU" alone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Used to have one ages but then I moved to a PSP. :P +2