Hackers Can Unlock Doors Start Some Cars Via....SMS!

Hydreigon

Isn't that DELICIOUS!?
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope they don't find a way to remotely control your car. That would suck.
blink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what? Unlocking and starting cars using a Sega Master System?!
tongue.gif

But seriously, ever since I first saw those ads on TV where someone starts a car using their cell phone, I thought to myself, "I don't want that. I can see it being hacked and your car getting stolen." It appears I was right in that thinking.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't really affect me because I'm driving a very basic car (2010 Honda Civic DX-VP). The car doesn't even have a remote controller. Everything is key based. It does have immobilizer which I purposely tested with another 2010 Civic's key and engine does not start at all.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Doesn't really affect me because I'm driving a very basic car (2010 Honda Civic DX-VP). The car doesn't even have a remote controller. Everything is key based. It does have immobilizer which I purposely tested with another 2010 Civic's key and engine does not start at all.
You only need to get within a foot or two of the key to clone your keys chip. Still need to break the locks though...

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
And that's why technology doesn't have to take over 100% of our lives.

jonesman99 said:
Next, hackers will find a way to shut off old people's pacemakers... Mark my words.
I think that's pretty damn easy to do.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
trumpet-205 said:
You only need to get within a foot or two of the key to clone your keys chip. Still need to break the locks though...

Not sure about the key cloning part. But a lot of cars made in the last 10 to 15 years have those chips in the key but even if it could be cloned you would still need the key cut to match the locks and the ignition. Most cars that have the remote start feature in them with shut off if you but the car in drive or reverse, thats another anti-theft feature.

@trumpet- Just because a key from another car would not start your car does not mean it has that immobilizer thing. Thats kinda like saying your house has that feature since your neighbors key would not open your door. I am pretty sure your car does have it just that your proof that it does is wrong. To test if you do or not get a key cut to match your key and see if it will start your car.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^^ Why would you need a key cut? Old school hotwiring still works if you can get around the immobiliser. Cloning the chip would do that. The physical locks on cars are frankly shit too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
steveo1978 said:
cwstjdenobs said:
trumpet-205 said:

Not sure about the key cloning part. But a lot of cars made in the last 10 to 15 years have those chips in the key but even if it could be cloned you would still need the key cut to match the locks and the ignition. Most cars that have the remote start feature in them with shut off if you but the car in drive or reverse, thats another anti-theft feature.

@trumpet- Just because a key from another car would not start your car does not mean it has that immobilizer thing. Thats kinda like saying your house has that feature since your neighbors key would not open your door. I am pretty sure your car does have it just that your proof that it does is wrong. To test if you do or not get a key cut to match your key and see if it will start your car.

Now I would like to consider myself reasonably well versed in matters of locks, electronic security and to some extent car security but last time I was around when the car keys guy dropped by the garage it was a somewhat eye opening experience (and this is with European and Asian cars which are usually considered a cut above most US stuff). It was only made more amusing when one of the main dealers got onto a nice rant about people like him (new keys are a big earner for dealers owing to the somewhat ridiculous profit margins).

Back on topic I probably should have mentioned it when I first went but assuming it is not a protocol problem I would have hoped we had this problem sorted- see why replay attacks on remote locking are not feasible or if you prefer resyncing your key fob part of the car's manual.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It sure as hell won't affect me at all, I sport a frickin '95 Toyota Cressida. Last model released by the great company Cressida
wink.gif
(Ofcourse I was 5 back then, dad bought the car, it officially became mine only last year) To this day, I love it. Don't plan on changing anytime soon, though my dream is to buy an Audi R8. After I get a job and all that is. (It'll be cheap by then, considering if it still exists in that timeline lol)

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
steveo1978 said:
Oh it does have immobilizer. It said so with a big sticker on the windows and several mentioning on the owners manual. There is a big green indicator on the dashboard.

Believe me, the key I borrowed and tested with is physically same as my car key. As soon as I pop that key into ignition green indicator lit up and car engine would not start. Door also would not open with the key I borrowed. Transmission (auto) is also locked. Pressing on the brake pedal would not release it.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
^^ Why would you need a key cut? Old school hotwiring still works if you can get around the immobiliser. Cloning the chip would do that. The physical locks on cars are frankly shit too.

LoL been watching movies much. The old school hotwiring you refer to does not work. Most cars have a steering will lock on them so instead of just hotwiring you would actually have to damage the ignition switch in a way that it can be turned and start the car plus release the steering will lock.

@trumpet-205 - I doubt very seriously that they have two cars sitting on the same sales lot that have keys that are cut exactly the same. I also have never heard of the door locks needing a chip in the key to unlock the door so if 2 keys that are an exact physical match then they will unlock the same doors.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
steveo1978 said:
@trumpet-205 - I doubt very seriously that they have two cars sitting on the same sales lot that have keys that are cut exactly the same. I also have never heard of the door locks needing a chip in the key to unlock the door so if 2 keys that are an exact physical match then they will unlock the same doors.
They are cut exactly the same. Sadly, I return the key back to the dealership so I can't take a picture. What I'm told by my friend who works at the dealership is that sometimes two cars share the same cut.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
steveo1978 said:
cwstjdenobs said:

LoL been watching movies much. The old school hotwiring you refer to does not work. Most cars have a steering will lock on them so instead of just hotwiring you would actually have to damage the ignition switch in a way that it can be turned and start the car plus release the steering will lock.

And I already mentioned breaking locks. And lol, no I haven't being watching movies much, I helped someone do this to a recent Astra. You don't need to turn anything, just wire up the right wires and have the chip near the transceiver.

EDIT: This was not with a cloned chip. The ignition barrel was fucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-