Gaming Guitar Hero World Tour or Rock Band?

Which one is better?

• Guitar Hero World Tour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rock Band

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Should I get GH:WT or Rock Band?
I am only planning on getting the guitar and the game.
--
1- Which one has better songs?
2- Do any of them have DLC? If so, how much does a song cost?
3- Are GH:WT and Rock Band controllers cross compatible?

I am leaning towards GH:WT so far (but that might change soon =P)

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agentgamma said:
Should I get GH:WT or Rock Band?
I am only planning on getting the guitar and the game.
--

I am leaning towards GH:WT so far (but that might change soon =P)

Wait for Rock Band 2 coming out in less than a month?

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay well here is my opinion,

I have games both with the Guitar.

Guitar Hero has a great Guitar/Bass career, The added "Open" Bass note makes the Bass career much more fun. Also the new guitar has the touch slider (which IMO is a pain to use on expert, Having to play quickly then try to slide your hand down the neck without breaking a combo is difficult).

The setlist for GH:WT for me was terrible. While there are 84 or 86 songs, I found only 1/4th of them to be fun to play. Im more into Hard Rock and Metal, But this setlist is trying to appeal to many people. So having Michael Jackson's "Beat it" and La Bamba" and country music on the game was terrible for me. It seems GH is straying off the "rock" formula. On the other hand having Metallica and Ozzy on their was a plus, but overall I found the setlist to be lacking.

What's nice is it has the "create a rocker" mode. Where Rock Band 1 does not.

RB 1 has a great setlist, but you'd be better off waiting for RB2 which comes out in a month I believe.
While RB2 has like 12 less songs, it is geared around "Rock" music.
RB1 does not have DLC but I believe RB2 will.

GH:WT has DLC for 200 Wii points a song. not sure how much that is in cash though. Hope this helps

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RB2 will be released in December this year. It has DLC (will also include ALL songs previously only available for the first Rock Band on Xbox360 and PS3), create a rocker etc as well.

There are a few things you have to keep in mind:

- Which drum set do you like best? The GH:WT set is more realistic by looks, but it has quite a few bugs atm. Some people prefer the rock band drum set. I can't tell, since I've only tried the Rock Band drum set. It makes a lot of noise though, but this can easily be reduced by pads.

- Which track list do you like best? Keep in mind that with Rock Band, the 3 track packs AND Rock Band 2 next month, you'll have way more songs. Then again, if you prefer playing guitar over everything else, you might want to have a look into Guitar Hero 3. This game has many custom version floating around the internet. If you have a Wii capable of running these, you might want to think twice.

Rock Band 2 will have everything Guitar Hero has, MINUS the studio and Mii Freeplay (as far as I know).

The Rock Band instruments have had a big price reduction last week though, so yeah. In the end you'll have to figure out which one suits you best.

EDIT: To answer your questions directly:

Your opinion matters most here. These are the tracks for
ROCK BAND:
Original Rock Band track: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band
Rock Band track packs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_Track_Packs
DLC (available after the release of RB2): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downl...ock_Band_series
Rock Band 2 tracks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band_2

GUITAR HERO:
Guitar Hero World Tour tracklist + DLC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs...Hero_World_Tour
Guitar Hero III (exclude the DLC songs, those will remain unavailable for Wii): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs...Guitar_Hero_III
For custom versions, browse google, torrents and newsgroups

Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 both have DLC. Rock Band one does not. I don't know how much they'll cost, but according to the person above, they're approx 200 wii points.

Unfortunately, no. Not on the Wii.

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crezwell said:
The GH guitar will be compatible with RB2, but isnt with RB1. Still not announced if GHWT Drums will work on RB2 tho...

It is been long known that NON of the Guitar Hero instruments will be compatible with Rock Band and Rock Band 2 on the wii. It's different for the xbox360 and ps3 version though.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, i would get gh world tour (I have it) And so far, the setlist is leaning more on Fun and i guess upbeat, than its predicessors, which were more difficult and rock/metal/heavy metal. I love the setlist though, some songs you just want to sing along to (La Bamba) Some songs have a fun solo (I guess beat it, i just love raping my slider to try and hit every note) and then there are those songs that are just strumming (Byob i guess) and then theres those songs with great solos (Sweet home alabama! satch boogie, etc)
The bass includes an open note, which i think is pretty cool, since its like an extra note, i never really played it. but it looks pretty fun.
Drums, they look realistic, and are much better than rock bands in my opinion, just you may have to tamper with some of them (I had to tamper with the red pad) because for some reason, sometimes they dont respond immediately, or are super delayed.
Microphone, HORRIBLE IF YOUR A PERFECTIONIST. theres a 100%, and an FC, now an FC is possible in guitar hero WT, but to get 100, you need the exact pitch, which sucks, 90% is pretty much like the 100.

My thoughts.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sstew said:
The setlist for GH:WT for me was terrible. While there are 84 or 86 songs, I found only 1/4th of them to be fun to play. Im more into Hard Rock and Metal, But this setlist is trying to appeal to many people. So having Michael Jackson's "Beat it" and La Bamba" and country music on the game was terrible for me. It seems GH is straying off the "rock" formula. On the other hand having Metallica and Ozzy on their was a plus, but overall I found the setlist to be lacking.

What's nice is it has the "create a rocker" mode. Where Rock Band 1 does not.

RB 1 has a great setlist, but you'd be better off waiting for RB2 which comes out in a month I believe.
While RB2 has like 12 less songs, it is geared around "Rock" music.
RB1 does not have DLC but I believe RB2 will.

GH:WT has DLC for 200 Wii points a song. not sure how much that is in cash though. Hope this helps

That bit about the music is incorrect in so many ways I don't know where to begin. The music in GH:WT is ACTUALLY rock. Most of the crap in GH3 was not rock at all. Yes, there are some pop and a few Willie Nelson songs, but the vast majority of the songs are real, classic rock. The set list of the first Rock Band didn't include a lot of metal or anything of that general type of music either (nor does RB2). Most normal human-beings can't sing that unintelligible screaming nor can they play those mindless beats as fast as most of those people, therefore WT could not possibly include that as it is supposed to be for a full "band" of average people. Having only the guitar has likely distorted your view of the game as it is supposed to be for a band with a singer and drummer as well as guitar and bass, not a solo guitarist like the old GH games were.

GH:WT has the studio, Rock Band 2 does not. If that matters to you, GH is the way to go. If not, the only differences are the set lists and drum sets. They both have DLC (RB2 and WT) and RB2 instruments are compatible with GH:WT and vice versa. The set list is really your opinion, but WT has more real rock than any of the other ones, plus it has the studio and Mii Freeplay.

But, if you must get RB over GH:WT, wait for RB2 as RB does not have DLC and its instruments won't be compatible with RB2 or GH:WT. And only get one of them if you are going for the real band experience. If you just want to play guitar, get a custom GH3. It will be more interesting and challenging.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
oh yeah, i forgot to mention, the studio in guitar hero, is super confusing, it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to start actually RECORDING a song. its very cool when you learn how to use it, but when you are trying to create a really good song, having to change the notes is going to be a bitc*.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As I can see, gh:wt won.
People saying get RB2, this is Australia - games take 5 years to come out here
sleep.gif

chiroaus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have both. I prefer Rock Band. It has a better interface and is a friendlier game when playing as a whole band. As far as songs go Rock Band has twice the songs as GHWT when you consider RB 1 55 songs, RB trkpk vol I and vol II = 40 songs, AC/DC trkpk = 18 songs, then in Dec RB 2 comes out with another 84 songs. These are all songs that can be played with the full band. It will take GHWT a while to catch up with this. I think it will be a long time before WT will sell the drums separately from the whole band set up in Australia. You can buy RB drums here for $130 now. You should find someone who has rock band and give it a go before you rule it out. Star power and Run meters are where you can see them all the time not in the far corner or tucked under and to the side of the button screen. If you don't plan on getting drums go with WT but it's no different then GH3..... just a fancier guitar and buttons. RB 197 full band songs Vs GHWT 84 plus a few dlc which RB 2 will match next month. Thats my 2 cents...

crezwell

Trophies
XP
Country
Rammoth said:
crezwell said:
The GH guitar will be compatible with RB2, but isnt with RB1. Still not announced if GHWT Drums will work on RB2 tho...

It is been long known that NON of the Guitar Hero instruments will be compatible with Rock Band and Rock Band 2 on the wii. It's different for the xbox360 and ps3 version though.

I clearly remember reading that the GH guitar will be compatible with RB2 months ago, either in a GHWT preview or review. The closest i can find to confirmation now tho is Harmonix are working to get GH guitars working with RB2, i quote from ign wii review -

".... since the hardware still isn't fully confirmed to work between both games; something Rock Band 2 is trying to change by allowing the new Guitar Hero guitars to work in MTV's game."

So dont write it off without knowing the full facts, unless you can quote 100% NONE compatibility, which i dont think anyone will know until RB2 is in peoples hands.

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crezwell said:
Rammoth said:
crezwell said:

I clearly remember reading that the GH guitar will be compatible with RB2 months ago, either in a GHWT preview or review. The closest i can find to confirmation now tho is Harmonix are working to get GH guitars working with RB2, i quote from ign wii review -

".... since the hardware still isn't fully confirmed to work between both games; something Rock Band 2 is trying to change by allowing the new Guitar Hero guitars to work in MTV's game."

So dont write it off without knowing the full facts, unless you can quote 100% NONE compatibility, which i dont think anyone will know until RB2 is in peoples hands.

I'll try to find the source again, but there was an article where Neversoft says cross compatibility won't be happening as long as Harmonix keeps using USB instruments instead of Wii controllers.

Untill I find it, here's the so called "official" compatibility list from Activision's community management. You'll find that, on wii, all RB peripherals are only available to RB and all GH's to GH:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/11/official-guitar.html

*edit: I can't find it anymore. I think I read it on kotaku.com. Let's just hope you're right
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: you wanna know the worst night i had?