Gaming Guitar Hero 3 songs skip after SSBB update

markusf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else have a problem with guitar hero 3, where the songs go out of sync or just skip?
I made another copy of the iso, but I still have the same problem.
My original disc is in the mail getting replaced, so i can't test with it.

There was no problem with the song before i started to play SSBB.
I mainly have the problem with the song "Hier Kommt Alex" in the bonus section.

Thanks

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I played with a copy for a couple month without any problems, then finally found the game and bought it just before Christmas. I continued playing the copy since i wanted to keep the game shrink wrapped but at some point, my copy started skipping. It started mostly in Barracuda and Hit me with your best shot. I thought it was my copy, but it looked physically perfect so i asked a friend to bring his copy. His copy, almost brand new too was even worst! It was getting out of sync in any songs.

So i opened my original and it works just fine. Last week, i send my mono original to be replaced and played with my old copy and it was still going out of sync in "Barracuda" and "HMWYBS"

I never witnessed any problems with other games i played copies on my wii but GH3 just seem weird. So you're definitly not alone.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the out of sync problem and I didn't notice it till after the Brawl update too... but I hadn't played the backup (stereo) version before I played Brawl. My replacement disc is on its way back, so I'm not really concerned, except for the fact that I've tracked down three custom discs that I really want to play (custom, GHI and GHII) and will be bummed out if they get out of sync.

For the record, I'm also using a YAOSM 2.0 chip, but I've had other problems with most burned games in my Wii (as in they stop reading the disc, so I have to pop it out and put it back in to get it going again).

Sagadon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having the same problem. I can sometimes reboot the Wii to get the song to work, but it's happening more and more the higher my level.

WiiKey: Update 1.9g
WiiOS: 3.1U

If I re-try the song, it seems to skip the exact same way. When I reboot, the song will tend to skip differently. Still, it will skip the same every time I restart the song. I've tried the practice, and it did not skip at all during the same portion of the song. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening here?

My best guess would be that the WiiKey's decoding is interferring with the way GH3 is reading the songs. I'm just pulling that out of my ass thou.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is a SSBB update. It is the fact that your laser had to adjust to read a Dual Layer disk vs. a single layer disk. This can definately cause skipping, as it is confused. An original copy can sometimes make it easier on the drive, but copies really can do damage. The other question to ask is how long have you spent playing SSBB. If you spent a bit of time with it, your laser is out of wack most likely.

Some of the things to consider is:
1- Dual Layer disks use different dyes then Single Layer
2- Different Brands between the 2 media
3- Burn speed is different if you followed the directions - SSBB 1x, other games 6x

Try putting in another single layer game and let it run for a while. Make sure it is the same burn speed and media as your GH customs. Then try GH again. See what happens then.

Also, if it is a song, it could be where the song is read on the DVD burn. Really a lot of factors. I don't think the SSBB is the culprit. I know this happen to people with rythm games on the PS2.

Now for my question, how can I tell if something is out of sync. Is it obvious delay, or just very minimal where you feel like you hit the correct note, but it doesn't register. Because I sometimes have that. It could be because I missed the note, but when I focus on hitting the next note, it always registers correctly. So do you mean in heavy areas it doesn't register, or all the way through.

The other problem I was having, only on Bobitos version was that the wiimote was not making the note miss sound. Could this be an issue of skipping? Bobitos, on your version, do you have it that the remote makes a noise when you make a mistake?

Sagadon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never played SSBB, so it definitely is not related. I'll try re-burning the game on my Verbatim DVD-R Media at 1x instead of the usual 4x to see if that fixes the problem. I've been debating on whether or not to modify my WiiKey install so that I can easily remove the chip to see if it still happens with the original Wii Guitar Hero 3 disc.

As for how it sounds, the song will skip at one point, and then be one bar behind. You'll play the note, which you can successfully hit, and then one bar later, the note will be played in the music. It's not always one bar either. Sometimes I'm playing 8-10 seconds ahead of the music. One thing that is consistent though, is that the music is always on beat with the tabs. That's what I find strange. In the code, they know it's out of sync, and someone did a check that lines up the music with the note display. I would have guessed that if it got out of sync at all, that the beat would most likely be different from what you had to play, but the beat still goes. I usually finish the songs, but get a lower score because I'm not 'rocking out as hard'. *rocking pose*

I've noticed the Wiimote sometimes stops making the note miss noise, but will start up again later in any song. This may be a GH bug that doesn't seem to affect the playing of the game.

jdog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guitar hero started getting out of sync before i even put in a mod chip, i think it is a programming error!!! i ahvent tried it since i put in my mod chip i will check it tonight

Sagadon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I burned at 1x (ImgBurn forced it to 2.4x), and the problem is even worse. The game freezes during the career menu if I go too quickly, and the skipping seems about the same. If it skipped on the Wii before you even installed a chip, then that rules that out. Maybe they'll fix the problems with the Aerosmith release...

Sagadon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Burned at the slowest speed (selected 1x, it burned at 2.4x). Seems to have solved the problem. It's a little deceptive because the GH3 appears to freeze for about 20 seconds during the loading. Even when a song is off by half a bar to begin with, retrying the song will get it in sync. Works like a charm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: knuckles vs broly could also be a good one tbh +1