Guide to: Converting PS1 games for PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Jamstruth, Jan 28, 2010.

1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Sometimes you have to use the Euro version instead of the USA version. Besides the extra languages, there is barely any difference in most cases, anyway.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

After successful converted these Adventures (EDIT:"Aztec - Der Fluch der Azteken SLES-03052" works now).
    NOTE:

I have noticed one thing:

NONE of them are running on higher POPSloader Version then 5.51.

On 6.00 and higher I get Black Screen(s) and no change to get back (the HOME Button has no longer a function at this point).I only can hold the POWER Button and turn the PSP off.

-
    maybe because these are GERMAN only versions ?
    - maybe of the CFW ? 6.61 PRO C2 permant.
    - maybe of the "custom" Add ons ? I put in every game an ICON/BACKGROUND/INFORMATION Picture.The games work without any issues.I do not get errors on converting with PSX2PSP v1.4.2.

And I do not think it is game relevant because screen size adjustment and disc change works.
    Only on very low versions of POPSloader I got issues.

Thank you for reading.:)

Last edited by alexander1970, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    I am trying this I have the original CD back from 2002 christmas. When I try to play the European version after the language selection screen the game goes black.
    I can access the PSP pops menu leave the game and reset it but I can't start a new game. I used img burn to create the CD image.

4. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Actually there is a significant difference. Almost all PAL games of that generation are only 50Hz which means they run around 17% slower than the US version. A lot also have large borders at the top and bottom due to the resolution difference between pal and ntsc.

5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Yeah but in the PSP is barely noticeable. And the fact the PAL games are slower helps the PSP to run them better.

Some games strain the Playstation hardware hence why you have to use the PAL version for the PSP.

For example, using Digimon World 2003 instead of Digimon World 3.

And some games just can't run on the PSP like Discworld Noir.
    That's your problem, just download the iso from somewhere online and it should work since the original game has copy protection.

Also don't use the USA version on the PSP since the PSP hardware can't handle it.

Last edited by raxadian, Aug 14, 2019
  6. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    So the solution was to use this guide

7. Tag365

Tag365 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2018
    United States
    I have problems with PSX2PSP... I'm trying to convert Punky Skunk, Breath of Fire III, and Breath of Fire IV to run on my PSP. But, all three games are multi-track games (not multi-disc games).

The music in Punky Skunk doesn't play unless you have more than the first data track. I'm not even going to try to play Breath of Fire III and IV unless I can have both tracks in the PBP EBOOT file so I can play the game properly. I worry about having to use plugins to transfer PSP PS1 saves because I might not be able to continue the games because Breath of Fire III/IV can't access its second data track.

I can't select more than one BIN file for a disc with PSX2PSP or select a CUE file, so I tried to convert the 22 bin files for Punky Skunk into a single BIN file but the game didn't play the music properly, which tells me that it didn't properly combine all the BIN files so that the game can play the music tracks stored on the extra data tracks. I'm not going to try the other games, and I want help on this.

I was trying to use PopStation but an error "Run-time error '76': Path not found" occurs and the program exits when I use the GUI to attempt to create a PBP EBOOT file using the CUE file. Is there any way to fix this?

8. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    While I'm sure there is a solution I could never get the multi track games to convert properly. I either got the same as you where the music was simply missing. Or if I tried to convert them to a single track the audio was out of sync and glitchy. I just ended up giving up playing them on the PSP/Vita and played those few games emulated on PC instead.

9. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria

You can try to use the following Steps (it is maybe something unusual).
    I used this on Tomb Raider (it has 57 Tracks/.bin files) and many others.
    There is NO WARRANTY that this Method works on ALL PSX Games !!.

- Mount the .cue file from your Multi Track Game into the Virtual Drive from Alcohol 120%
    - use ImgBurn to make .bin/.cue Files from it.
    - use PSX2PSP (I suggest to use NO COMPRESSION,you will get Audio Issues/Stuttering for sure !!)
    - copy the created Folder to your PSP
    - when you start the Game please immediatley hold the "R" Shoulder Button to get into the POPSloader Configuration Screen and choose v5.51 (higher Versions do not work !)

Good Luck.
    Thank you.:)

10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    For anyone having issues with psx2psp, you can use a program called popstation gui instead.

11. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria

Thank you for this Information.:yay:
    A great Tool for Converting.
    Can you please tell us the latest Release ?
    I have Version 3.00 Beta.

Thank you.:)

Personal Note:

cvskid likes this.
  12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Yep, that is the newest version of popstation gui. It hasn't had an update in a long time but that's probably because it works fine as is.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted