Gaming GTA on the DS ? Maybe if you help me ;)

• Thread starter pasc
  • Start date
  • Views 12,077
  • Replies 177

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Realistic, gritty 3d games just look a muddy mess on the DS anyway. Because it's a real portable system which benifits from games devloped for handhelds and is not, as the PSPs name suggests, mearly a semi-portable home console.

We'd end up with a GTA without the vast world, without the voice acting, without the extensive radio playlist. If you want to play games like GTA, which are unsuited to handheld gaming in the first place, on the bus, get a PSP.

Did anyone mention that online petitions aren't worth the paper they're not printed on?

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes one person can change a little part of the gaming world (not very often) but he has hope and that's good.

Not with those methodes, you can't...

GTA on the DS... Yes, it could be awesome. However, a half assed GTA like the GBA version would not be worth it.

... Sriously OrR, the GTA GBA game was awesome, it was like GTA 1 and 2, with worse grafix. But it had a *decent* story, fun gameplay, good missions, cheats, and lots of weapons. What was so bad about it?

Anyway, GTA DS... only if it coincides with a release of GTA wii.
And has linkage.

P

pasc

OP
@sinkhead: Ok, if you could help me to get such a Wiki I would be very happy. The old Wiki I made got already deletet... ;(.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What was my problem with GTA GBA? Well, a few things. I couldn't stand the horrible framerate. I don't really like top down GTAs anyway. And at the same time Payback came out which played so much nicer with the rotating camera.
Realistic, gritty 3d games just look a muddy mess on the DS anyway. Because it's a real portable system which benifits from games devloped for handhelds and is not, as the PSPs name suggests, mearly a semi-portable home console.

We'd end up with a GTA without the vast world, without the voice acting, without the extensive radio playlist. If you want to play games like GTA, which are unsuited to handheld gaming in the first place, on the bus, get a PSP.

Did anyone mention that online petitions aren't worth the paper they're not printed on?
GTA never really was a realistic game anyway. Using cell shading or similarly simple graphics would work quite well with it. A DS GTA certainly would not get as big as San Andreas but it wouldn't need to. Short distances are a good thing in a handheld game. A full town with some landscape should be entirely possible, though. Ports of the original GTA 3 series games are unsuited for handheld gaming, that's true. That's the problem with the PSP versions. However, a GTA especially designed for a handheld can still work very well. Radio stations and voice acting, now there is a problem. But there is also a solution: Make the game a DS/GBA cart combo and sell it for 10$ more than a usual DS game.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to start a "Don't bring GTA to the DS" wiki and petition. Who wants in?
laugh.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA GTA was a decent game, but most of the missions were samey, too much fetch and deliver. I wanted to stalk someone to their hideout, bomb places, assassinate more, do more deals. Also felt that there wasn't anything to do that I didn't HAVE to do, like in GTA 1 you could spend ages nicking vehicles and then sell them on.

I'd love to see GTA 2 style game on the DS and seeing there's one on the PS why not DS? Something with a lot more freedom than the gba one. If we goto 3D territory we could have y mess that GBA Driv3r game gave us, also 3rd person games don't play too well on DS. So they stick to overhead.

Any way, good luck with the Wiki.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Realistic, gritty 3d games just look a muddy mess on the DS anyway. Because it's a real portable system which benifits from games devloped for handhelds and is not, as the PSPs name suggests, mearly a semi-portable home console.

We'd end up with a GTA without the vast world, without the voice acting, without the extensive radio playlist. If you want to play games like GTA, which are unsuited to handheld gaming in the first place, on the bus, get a PSP.

I haven't followed everything in this thread, but this brings some interesting things to mind.

There are many talented programmers lurking around this board ... let's start developing this! I wish I was a talented programmer, but I can assist, and I want to in any way I can.

A storyline like GTA is not hard to develop, and unique elements to the gameplay would easily make it far enough from GTA that it's not infringement. A complete world-map could be created, and most flash-carts have enough space to load at least a few MP3's ... that could be built into a radio/jukebox function within the game itself.

Now all you'd need is to find a 3D engine that would support it, and I believe devKitPro will ... I could be wrong. If not, that's the first obstacle to tackle.

Cell-shading sounds fantastic in this sort of game.

My vote is those who are truly interested should spearhead a homebrew development ... not that I know the first thing about that, but I'll help!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Although I prefer the first two GTA games, a GTA3 spinoff could work, if they overdo the cell shading and make the whole thing look comicky, instead of trying to get out of textures what mere textures alone can't give. Look at Driv3r GBA. It was boxy and bad. Something more graphic-novel-look would work much better, and would help hide any imperfections and rough edges of 3D on the DS (because you can't really have anti-aliasing on such a low resolution).

But in the end, it's up to Rockstar to decide what they think is possible and what isn't.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, feel free to create a website on the RomNet Wiki
Just make sure all pages relating to GTADS begin with GTADS, for example you could have a page called GTADS_Items or GTADS_Summary
Also, feel free to use it for uploading or anything like that

- Sam

EDIT: If this does end up being a homebrew project, ask Dual Screen Radio and Homebrewcast if you can use them on the radio, on certain channels =P

P

pasc

OP
@sinkhead:

Ill do it as fast as I can. Thanks for helping me that lot ! If more people would be like you the world be a lot friendlier.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The feature I liked the most in Payback was the multiplayer. You had a whole city to run and drive around, and the mission was to hunt the others down. That's the thing the GTA lacks. Add an online multiplayer mode, and the game would be a rampant success.

Also, building on what OrR said, a DS/GBA cartrige combo would be ideal. The GBA cartrige could be over 32MB, especially when you run DS code from them, as all our lovely Slot2 flashcards have taught us
happy.gif
. And if you add some flash memory to the GBA cratrige, whenever you go online, the game could update the radio program with new content, so you don't get repetitive program.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually that online connectivity idea is pretty awesome. You could select content to get or content could be exchanged automatically in the background... 256MB of flash storage should be possible and would certainly be enough for quite a music collection in DS quality.

P

pasc

OP
@sinkhead:

Ok, I edited the first post. Additionally I Edited the Funshop Section in the wiki. Thank you very much for giving me/us the chance to use your wiki.

@OrR: Wow ! Some days before I thought exact the same like you, with that Gbaslot Combo .
Thank you for your good Ideas and helping me out so much too !

@the one ho had that homebrew gta Idea (sorry, forgot your name while reading that thread):
This sounds good ! I think we should start this and do it parallel to our GTA Persuading tactic, I know one who´s good in Cellshading 3D: Payk, but better ask him if he finished his RPGmaker. If you need (nonprogrammer exept Java & Html) help, I´m in !

P

pas

OP
@sinkhead: WTF !? Some Bastards spamed th wiki
cry.gif
could you please fix that (Just copy the stuff from my old site) ? We should Backup the Page so we can restor it everytime..... Such retarded Junkies
dry.gif
Who do they think they are ? I think I know who was it..... THAT GUY FROM M3ADAPTER WHO SAID I SHOULD STOP THE PROJEKT !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...