BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking for topic for my research paper, and i decieded on " If you have an Ipod, does that make you more prone to pirate music?"

so to get the ideas flowing, my professor told us to think of as many questions as we could about our topic.
Here are so of mine:
Why is music so easy to find for free?
Who downloads free music?
Why arent filesharing networks like limewire shut down?

you get the point. then me passed our papers around the room and people put a check mark by the best question, or wrote one of their own.

well i get mine back and theres an extra question at the bottom: Will CD-ROMs ever become obsolete?
rofl2.gif

i just looked at it like" are you serious?"

what ever. do you guys own ipods and do you pirate music( I would assume so hehe)?

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a good one to ask for your own paper:

Why are iPods so huge? I mean...are you really going to need 80GB for legal music? Or more, anyway. It's nuts. Makes me think they're catering to both the legal joes and pirates with such huge databanks to fill.

Let's do some math because I suck at it! So, 80GBs being for the sake of simplicity 80,000MB, and then assuming each song is a whole 5MB of that, and $1 per song...

$16,000 to fill that fucker. Necessary? No. People might have CDs out the ass they want to migrate. But yeah.

I've around 20GB filled on my 30, and of those... .... .......less than 30 songs are legal. XD

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can also use your iPod for video, and those files are a little larger, so....

I think the primary reason the iPod drives are so large is because it's just as cheap to make them that size for Apple as it would be to make a smaller one. Hard drives (even small ones) are pretty cheap these days. That seems to be the primary reason that you get more storage/dollar as you go higher on the chain of drives for the iPods.

CD's are already obsolete, anyways. There' something called a Super Audio CD that's better for music, already. DVD's in general are almost as cheap as CD's are despite being 7 times as large in memory capacity. DVD readers are cheaper than ever. The CD is an obsolete medium that really only continues to exist because of record companies wanting to hold on to their distribution method (which isn't necessarily bad, if they weren't so ready to sue companies with legitimate competitive tech).

A question might be "Does the prevalance of digital music threaten the existence of old-style 'physical media' distribution models."

This might, however, be outside the scope of your assignment.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Curley5959 said:
good point doomsday..
smile.gif
It makes sense. I mean...in the case of hard drives in game systems, that does kinda make sense. Some games now can be installed directly to there for whatever reasons, blah blah blah.

But come on. Do we really need so many gigs for a music player? Oh yes, and I can fill it lickety-split with music I didn't spend a cent on. =P

S

ScuberSteve

Doomsday Forte said:
Here's a good one to ask for your own paper:

Why are iPods so huge? I mean...are you really going to need 80GB for legal music? Or more, anyway. It's nuts. Makes me think they're catering to both the legal joes and pirates with such huge databanks to fill.

Let's do some math because I suck at it! So, 80GBs being for the sake of simplicity 80,000MB, and then assuming each song is a whole 5MB of that, and $1 per song...

$16,000 to fill that fucker. Necessary? No. People might have CDs out the ass they want to migrate. But yeah.

I've around 20GB filled on my 30, and of those... .... .......less than 30 songs are legal. XD
80,000MB.
One of my songs is usually at least 10MBs.
Whenever I buy music, I buy the entire album.
Usually less than $10 for over 10 tracks.
Let's average about 13 tracks for $9.
80000/10 = 8000
8000/13 = 615
615 x 9 = less than $6000.
However, video playback must be considered!
Having said that, I have about seven legally obtained albums on my iPod
smile.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha thank for the math. i could use it in my paper.

Now just for my sake, a gig isnt actually a gig is it? because memory sizes go up like this;
128,256,512, 1024. but Simon didnt say! if i remember correctly, most companies cut it at 1000mb flat right? i could use that too.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if you have 16 thousand songs on your iPod to fill the 80 gig, and if each song is about 4 minutes long,
you'll need to listen to your iPod for over 44 days non-stop to go through.
and say you listen to your ipod for about 5 hours a day, then that's about 211 days you need to listen to, so you can listen to ALL of the songs on your ipod. Then it's not like you will ONLY listen to those songs. you'll delete more, download the newer ones, and so on. So what's the point of 80 gigs if you won't be listening to 50gigs of the 80 anyways?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/4l3lyXcUDkI?feature=shared&t=43