Hacking GenplusGX 2D Box Art Mod!

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@KyleK87

Could you test these builds of Genesis Plus GX with the Cover Mod? I've taken the latest source code from GitHub with the latest changes and improvements from eke-eke, have put the source code of the Cover Mod made by @portugeek and compiled it with latest devKitPPC and libogc and other required Wii libraries.
These are still untested (I can't test them right now) but these should work.

In this link: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Genesis-Plus-GX/tree/master/builds

Hope these work for you ;)

Speaking of VBA-GX, FCEUGX, Snes9xGX i don't think so. Maybe someone can help with that? I just don't know :P
Awesome! You are a boss :) I will test right now!

Reactions: SaulFabre

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@KyleK87

Could you test these builds of Genesis Plus GX with the Cover Mod? I've taken the latest source code from GitHub with the latest changes and improvements from eke-eke, have put the source code of the Cover Mod made by @portugeek and compiled it with latest devKitPPC and libogc and other required Wii libraries.

In this link: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Genesis-Plus-GX/tree/master/builds

Speaking of VBA-GX, FCEUGX, Snes9xGX i don't think so. Maybe someone can help with that? I just don't know :P
I just ran it. First time completely glitched and greened out the screen with some alarming sounds lol. Second time it ran but there were some glitch/lines in the screen when going into different menus or running the games but the cover mod DOES work so I'm not too sure why these issues are present ...Appreciate your time I will continue to test if we get this working :D

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing that when you booted through The Homebrew Channel everything worked as it should?

If yes, then you have, what I'm going to call, a "bad" forwarder.

Channel Forwarders are supposed to be nothing more than simple shortcuts for your homebrew. They're typically created to point at specific boot.dol locations, similar to how a desktop shortcut points to its corresponding .exe file.

Along the way, some people started making Forwarders with the actual boot.dol packed into the Forwarder. This would essentially make the Forwarder fool proof, since it didn't need to look for the boot.dol in any specific directory, the boot.dol was already part of the forwarder, so it would boot up every time.

The obvious problem with this kind of Channel Forwarder is that popular Homebrew apps would receive regular updates, and you can't just update the boot.dol in the Forwarder. At least not as easily as simply dragging and dropping an updated boot.dol into your SD card.

You essentially have two different versions of Genplus on your Wii right now. The one in the SD card, and the one that was packed into the Channel Forwarder.

Looks like you need a different forwarder.

I just learned something through this comment. Thank you.

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where can I find a collection of all these cover art in 180x248?

Besides the 3D Master System collection that Mastershoe posted on here I couldn't find any more.

Thanks

You can also group resize in windows. Select the artwork, right click and select 'resize picture(s).' If you don't have this option you can add it too windows. Search something along the lines of 'Windows Image Resizer Extension'. I am able to resize hundreds of photos in like four minutes...

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Just want to see if anyone has any ideas.

I tried both builds, full installs, swapped the boot.dol file with both mods one at a time, and renamed them appropriately.

Box art is in SD:/genplus/snaps/cd, gg, md, ms, sg

Roms match SD:/genplus/roms/cd,gg,ect.

Box art is sized according to guide, 32 but, jog formatted, names match corresponding roms.

One boxart did change from ‘nothing’ to a Sega blank placeholder mentioned in the guide. On boxart, and nothing is different than the others. I have complete sets and matching art for all the systems.

Just want to know if anyone has any ideas at this point. I’m guessing perhaps I have some ‘junk files’ somewhere, but even then I’m confused on what could prevent the art from displaying…

Thanks in advance.

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

Just want to see if anyone has any ideas.

I tried both builds, full installs, swapped the boot.dol file with both mods one at a time, and renamed them appropriately.

Box art is in SD:/genplus/snaps/cd, gg, md, ms, sg

Roms match SD:/genplus/roms/cd,gg,ect.

Box art is sized according to guide, 32 but, jog formatted, names match corresponding roms.

One boxart did change from ‘nothing’ to a Sega blank placeholder mentioned in the guide. On boxart, and nothing is different than the others. I have complete sets and matching art for all the systems.

Just want to know if anyone has any ideas at this point. I’m guessing perhaps I have some ‘junk files’ somewhere, but even then I’m confused on what could prevent the art from displaying…

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kinghenry8515

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine shows up with no problem using the original 16:9 mod. Just had to mess with the depth/size/resolution.

Are you referring to the photo's?

Mine are sized in accordance with the guide. I am absolutely stumped; I am sure I have followed every step.

But yes, I expected them to just populate. Sort of like fceugx, snes9gx and vbagx; in part this is what is driving me bananas, because I like everything to sort of match.

KyleK87-if you don't mind, what size do you have your images set to?

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Mine are sized in accordance with the guide. I am absolutely stumped; I am sure I have followed every step.

But yes, I expected them to just populate. Sort of like fceugx, snes9gx and vbagx; in part this is what is driving me bananas, because I like everything to sort of match.

Mine are all 360x496

Reactions: Kinghenry8515

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I had the same issue so let me know if you need further help i'll try!

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did yes I bulk resized and changed the depth

I'm going to give it a go this week. I am deep into this PSTV mod right now, and if I break off I am going to start forgetting stuff, lol. Thank you though, glad to hear you fixed the problem, I'm excited to try!

KyleK87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to give it a go this week. I am deep into this PSTV mod right now, and if I break off I am going to start forgetting stuff, lol. Thank you though, glad to hear you fixed the problem, I'm excited to try!
Yeah no problem at all! Good luck. Let me know if you need any help :)

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@KyleK87

I forgot to comment about this Portugeek mod, the covers really complement the emulator. Nice resurrection of this mod, @SaulFabre

I just ran it. First time completely glitched and greened out the screen with some alarming sounds lol. Second time it ran but there were some glitch/lines in the screen when going into different menus or running the games but the cover mod DOES work so I'm not too sure why these issues are present ...Appreciate your time I will continue to test if we get this working :D
Was a newer build produced without the glitches, @SaulFabre?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Reactions: niuus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...