GBAtemp Official Review - Mayflash Gamecube Adapter for Wii U

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Ryukouki, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]

Xabring likes this.
  2. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky
    This! Man, how people are paying upwards of $50+ for something that can be solved by this or another 3rd party adaptor from ebay is beyond me son! haha

djavs likes this.
  3. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Great review and great piece of hardware from Mayflash! Anyone dare say 3rd parties don't support Nintendo when a 3rd party has now made the only essential bit for the most important Nintendo game ever and isn't greedy with the price. :P

Ryukouki likes this.
  4. pikanag

pikanag GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    how much does this cost?

5. manlego

manlego GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2009
    Brazil
    20$

6. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    With the coming of Mayflash's GameCube adapter the original which now are out of print have dropped down (£30+) to less than they were going before (£60-90).

Thank you Mayflash for putting an end to the scalpers.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  7. djavs

djavs Advanced Member

May 6, 2007
    i was going to buy the one with smash bros but the price was shocking...so i only went for the game. Its great to see a rival product come out...so when can we but this? and from where

8. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I read the review and I have just two questions

1. Can you use wavebird controllers, that was never mentioned.

2. For someone who already owns the adapter from Nintendo, would you recommend purchasing this if you are also an avid PC gamer as well. I would like the simplistic nature of just plug and play without having to install additional drivers like you would for Nintendo's adapter.

djavs likes this.
  9. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    GameSeek has it for £15.98 and according to their schedule they'll have stock by January 30.

djavs likes this.
  10. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 18, 2015, Reason: Reply to removed content.
    Jan 18, 2015
  11. WiiCube_2013
    This message by WiiCube_2013 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jan 18, 2015, Reason: Shitpost.
    Jan 18, 2015
  12. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    The review says it can "play Wii U games" plural. What games other than Smash Bros?
    The review doesn't mention which Gamecube pads used. Old ones? New ones with Smash Bros logo? Wavebirds? Third party pads?
    The review doesn't mention where to purchase these. I know this info is buried in threads on this site somewhere but still.
    The review doesn't mention Nintendont whatsoever.

This is not a very comprehensive hardware review. Worth what I paid for though and I hope Ryukouki enjoys his adapter.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  13. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jan 18, 2015, Reason: Reply to shitposting.
    Jan 18, 2015
  14. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I wonder if he's coming back to answer our questions. I'm interested in the product once I get a better understanding. If he's busy I'm willing to wait.

15. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    In his defense, he makes it clear that it does the same thing as Nintendo's official one, for which the answers to all those questions are known.

16. Evilengine

Evilengine GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
  17. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    To anyone that owns this device could you please answer the questions I posted awhile ago?

18. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Again, he said that it has the same functions as the official adapter. The official adapter can use wave birds, so there's no reason to think this wouldn't.

Besides there's nothing special about wave birds that require specific hardware, etc. All the special hardware is in the wave bird receiver, so you just need to plug it into a GameCube port. Even the old Mayflash Wiimote GameCube adapters (where you pug the GameCube controller into an adapter that plugs into a Wiimote) supported wave birds (I own two of them).

Tl;dr there's literally no reason to worry that it doesn't support the wave bird. Everything that supports a GameCube controller can support a wave bird. ;)

RemixDeluxe likes this.