Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PLEASE ABSTAIN FROM ASKING IF THIS IS A JOKE OR NOT. THIS IS NOT EoF!

For the past few months, I've been working on a way to implement a PS1 emulator into a Game Boy Advance. And, guess what? I (half) did it!

I know this is a questionable claim to do, but I will try to answer as many questions as possible.

So, the first question everybody might ask is "How the f**k did you do it? The PS1 has a much more powerful CPU than the GBA and a lot more RAM!". Truth is, I did and I did not emulate the machine. I was able to get the european bios (which runs smoother than the american one) working in order to play games with low profiles. Then I took out just enough so the GBA could barely make it. PLEASE NOTE: I have to manually tweak every single game before converting it into a .gba file playable on your Game Boy Advance. This is due to the high amount of work I have to do behind the scenes. I am not a developer, don't judge. The only working game so far is Kula World (also known as Roll Away in America). I know this is a full 3D game, but believe it or not, it is also the easiest to emulate!

The second question is probably "How the f**k are we going to play PS1 games with 4 less buttons??". I have tweaked Kula World so you can play with the GBA just fine. B is jump and A + R/L tweaks the camera angle. I know this is going to be difficult with more advanced games, but for now all I care about is to increase the speed of the games I can emulate.

The third question, or probably the first, is "is this a joke?", which I've already answered at the very beginning of this topic, so hush.

REQUIREMENTS:

- Slot-2 Supercard (preferibly Mini-SD. Haven't tested the others yet)
- Supercard Patcher
- Game Boy Advance
- Micro SD (no less than 2GB)

FAQ:

Q_ I don't have a flashcard. Can I just use an emulator?
A_ You can try it out, but I built the emulator around my Supercard. I haven't tested it on any emulator yet.

Q_ A Supercard? That thing is slow as hell! Will I still be alive to play when it finally loads?
A_ After trimming the iso and tweaking the game and emu and cutting down to a much less powerful device, I have reduced the space to less than 30MB.

Q_ Pics or didn't happen!
A_ Wha...? This is not a question! Oh well, all right.

SCREENSHOTS BELOW

YPJf7of.jpg

yPJf7of.jpg

YpJf7of.jpg

Q_ The game looks tiny!
A_ You can increase the screen size, but I have yet to implement it. As I previously stated, I am not a developer and I have to find a way to do it without the (already difficult) emulation getting screwed.

Q_ Speaking of emulation, how well does Kula World perform?
A_ It works incredibly well! No slowdowns at all. The only problem is that it loops the first world, even if the whole game is in there. I might fix this in the future.

Q_ I don't believe you shrinked the game from a CD rom to a <30mb ROM. It's just impossible!
A_ I had to cut down the music, allowing just one. That was the heaviest part of the game, not the game itself.

Q_ I would like to help you with your project
A_ Send me a PM

Q_ I would like to donate
A_ Sorry, but I did this for fun, not for revenue.

Q_ A download link? Isn't this illegal?
A_ Truth is, I have tweaked and re-done the game SO MUCH that it might as well be my creation. There are HUNDREDS of lines written for this emulator to work, and I spent way too much time on this to not share it with you guys. I have already talked with someone from the staff and he told me this is ok, so don't even bother. The BIOS used is similar, but not the same as the original PAL PS1.

Q_ Will you be releasing more games? Can I request them?
A_ I will try my best to convert other games for the system, but I won't accept any requests. The next game I want to port is Rick Dangerous, because it's as low profile as Roll Away and it might actually work.

Q_ Is this a joke?
A_ F**k off.

KNOWN ISSUES (Kula World / Roll Away):

- Screen is too tiny
- One song only
- It loops after world 1

CHANGELOG

0.1 Hello world!

DOWNLOAD LINKS

0.1 [Kula World] http://filetrip.net/dl?AukXGMcxLM

Please leave a comment if you enjoyed the game! :D

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See how shitty the photos are? That's because I have a shitty phone. If anybody wants to make a gameplay video, be my guest. Or wait until I get a proper recorder :P

nvm, just tried it myself ... but I'm stuck at the intro, please fix that.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Woah Vipera nice job! I did not know you could code!
No seriously, I did not expect you to actually implement the restart of the "game" :)
Props to you unless you just copied this.

Reactions: Vipera

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself