Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

hbk007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just received the new Aurora Deluxe cable with a brightness switch that I ordered. I will install later and see if it's much better than the regular cable.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2643624522.24.VD9agD&id=24351728191

According to the sloppy translation: GBA motherboard power supply to the display itself is actually not stable, it will lead to playing GBC, GB and other electrical popular card game screen splash screen. Aurora cable core optimized using an independent lighting, splash screen immediately resolve this

hbk007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what'd they mean with "splash screen"?

Since other people are having problems with Gameboy Color games, i'm guessing it has to do with the voltage point that the screen is soldered to, which draws too much power from the GBA motherboard and messes up Gameboy color games.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what'd they mean with "splash screen"?

"A splash screen is an image that appears while a game or program is loading. The term may also be used to describe an introduction page on a website."

Though that doesn't seem to make any sense in the context.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"A splash screen is an image that appears while a game or program is loading. The term may also be used to describe an introduction page on a website."

Though that doesn't seem to make any sense in the context.

Thanks for explaining, but i already knew that.
It's just as you said, it doesn't make sense in the translation so I thought that it maybe meant something else.

--EDIT--

I have two of the games he tried in the video, I'll have to try it out myself and see if i can replicate the problem.

I have been playing Metroid Fusion on mine this whole week without any issues.

hbk007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here is the Aurora Deluxe cable with 2 way brightness switch. I took pictures of a GBA and GBC game with High/Low brightness.
The backlight still turns on even though I did NOT solder the wire to the motherboard yet. I'm guessing that if it's soldered, it will be more stable and possibly brighter screen.
I will solder the wire later tonight after I buy a new solder pencil from the store and see if the brightness changes. I notice the instruction pictures show a new soldering point, which im hoping is the most stable.

The cable adapter itself
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/em4AAOSwcWdTbCdG/$_57.JPG
Testing
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/QAoAAOxyBotTbCdP/$_57.JPG
GBA low brightness
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/QOkAAOxyBotTbCdc/$_57.JPG
GBA high brightness
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/-W4AAOxyuR5TbCdn/$_57.JPG
GBC low brightness
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/oNoAAOxyc2pTbCdx/$_57.JPG
GBC high brightness
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/L5oAAOxyYANTbCd7/$_57.JPG

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The classic GBA is far more comfortable in my opinion - if he had a spare then bless him for improving on the classic model. :yay:

That seems to be the consensus in this thread, and it surprises me. The original GBA model was always more uncomfortable for me ... fingers on the backside never felt like they had a grip. Besides the backlit screen, I've always thought the AGS-101 SP design was better because 1- clamshell design protects screen, 2- smaller footprint, fits better in a pocket, 3- soft reset easier to do (subjective), and 4- clicky action buttons. (DSPhat had the clicky buttons too ... loved it, but hated that it had dimmer screens than my GBA-SP.)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That seems to be the consensus in this thread, and it surprises me. The original GBA model was always more uncomfortable for me ... fingers on the backside never felt like they had a grip. Besides the backlit screen, I've always thought the AGS-101 SP design was better because 1- clamshell design protects screen, 2- smaller footprint, fits better in a pocket, 3- soft reset easier to do (subjective), and 4- clicky action buttons. (DSPhat had the clicky buttons too ... loved it, but hated that it had dimmer screens than my GBA-SP.)
I guess it depends on the way you hold it or your personal preference - I keep my pointing fingers on the triggers, the thumbs on the buttons/d-pad and curve the rest, resting them on the ridges or the back of the battery compartment. Even now, 13 years later with hands much larger than when I was a kid it's still relatively comfortable to me, although I do recall that I may have been fussy about the back of the system myself back in the day, I can't be sure, what I do know is that I loved my GBA then and I love it now. I can see the benefit of protecting the screen with a clamshell design, however I believe that there is such a thing as "too small". I don't doubt that a decade ago the SP might've been the right size for me, but having used it recently I simply find it too small for comfortable use, as much as I like clamshells. It also doesn't look nearly as nice and the clicky buttons are a matter of preference - I have a soft spot for the old ruber buttons of yesterday. :P

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Since other people are having problems with Gameboy Color games, i'm guessing it has to do with the voltage point that the screen is soldered to, which draws too much power from the GBA motherboard and messes up Gameboy color games.

Well i tried Pokemon Silver and just left it running the splash/intro part without pressing any buttons and I didn't notice anything.
I actually don't know what I'm looking for, do you have any links to the people experiencing the problems?

Edit

I even played some blade, that's GBC only game, no issues.
Not even with the old GB games.

hbk007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a premodded one on ebay and it works fine for GBA games and the screen looks nice, but it will freeze randomly trying to play a GBC game in it. the main game I want to play on there is the Pokemon red full color hack (via my Drag'n'Derp cart)

any ideas? all i can think of is that the screen pulls to much (milli)amps causing the gameboy to freeze when playing Gameboy as Gameboy games run at 5v vs. GBA Games at 3.3v.

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished installing my backlit mod into AGB-001. :)

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I popped in a couple GBC games. It looks beautiful and vivid on my system. My kit is from rosecoloredgaming

Reactions: Ozito

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you buy that adapter, then yes, you will have to solder a wire to a source of power (on the mobo). Check the pictures on previous pages.

Wishin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you buy that adapter, then yes, you will have to solder a wire to a source of power (on the mobo). Check the pictures on previous pages.

But if I don't solder it to the mobo can I play normal GBA games?
And what adapters doesn't need soldering?

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

It all depends on what you prefer.

But if I don't solder it to the mobo can I play normal GBA games?
And what adapters doesn't need soldering?

You won't have any back light if you don't solder that wire to a power source.
The screen will be darker than the original screen making it more difficult to play than it was in the beginning.

This one that hbk007 bought doesn't seem to need any soldering done to light up the screen.

But do have in mind that it seems like it is not meant to be used without having a wire soldered to a power source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto