GBA SP 001 Distorted Video & Freezing after CPU/RAM Short

CragT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, a friend of mine tried installing a USB-C mod on an AGS 001 CPU-30 with an IPS screen installed and working. The USB-C mod was botched and when I inspected it with my microscope, I seen that they had bridged the CPU pins 109 through 123. Also, there was a solder blob that had dropped below the RAM chip, bridging some components. F2 was blown and EM8's housing was busted but still working, continuity-wise (I have no way of testing inductance). Well I repaired some torn pads, replaced F2, and removed the solder bridging the pins/components and got the charging circuit working. However, when I power on the console it shows the GBA splash screen normally, but then the game (DBZ: Legacy of Goku, tested fine on another GBA SP) boots to a distorted image. After about 5 -10 seconds of the game booting and cycling through what should be the intro company credits screens, the console freezes on the ebfoot technologies logo. I've tested multiple components, referencing my working GBA SP, but am limited because my GBA has a different motherboard version. I'm thinking the CPU or RAM is probably fried, but am interested in any insight you could give. It's odd to me that the game boots but freezes, with no audio distortion. I've reflowed the CPU, RAM, and cartridge slot pins, tested all those lines for continuity, and cleaned the cartridge slot and switches with deoxIT.
QAd2X3q.jpeg
mNPdbzk.jpeg
hIUyp7W.jpeg
jtIkRpl.jpeg
eP3oDQf.jpeg
NWY3Fm7.jpeg
z3jqsup.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: hippy dave

Uevon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pardon me. I'm no expert and sadly can't help you, but if I may I'd like to ask a question: how did you test the cartridge slot for continutity? I have a GBA SP that can't even make it to the logo screens (and in GB mode there is no Game Boy logo at all, just the startup sound and the ability to change the screen size with the shoulder buttons)

Good luck with your GBA. I understand how frustrating this is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over