ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
works great now albeit the flickering.
so the rom doesnt load any of the other patch files because we renamed it and only your one provided
Any given VC will only use one patch. Gamefreak packed all the patches into all the CIA's, but the only one used is the one with the same name as the rom. The rest are for different versions/languages.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any given VC will only use one patch. Gamefreak packed all the patches into all the CIA's, but the only one used is the one with the same name as the rom. The rest are for different versions/languages.
yeah also the flickering is linked to the speed you move,
loaded my red save into the blue cia with red rom and patch
passively flickering at 3rd gym area
get on bike flickerin is in sync with movement speedup now

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully he can help me. I tried to calculate the trade option in Pokemon Crystal to its right offsets.. (Maybe I made a mistake or forgot something...) but it still doesn't work.

Reactions: XRaidersP

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah also the flickering is linked to the speed you move,
loaded my red save into the blue cia with red rom and patch
passively flickering at 3rd gym area
get on bike flickerin is in sync with movement speedup now
I have a new idea that i'm going to investigate

Hopefully he can help me. I tried to calculate the trade option in Pokemon Crystal to its right offsets.. (Maybe I made a mistake or forgot something...) but it still doesn't work.
I'm sure Danny-E33 knows his stuff. Were all familiar with the disassemblies on the other forum

Elgrosp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

This means that i find the patch name for french yellow version, I juste have to give that name to the injected french yellow rom for it to work, right?
If that's the case, we should have some list with each version/language associated with the correct filename.

Has someone found any pattern in the filenames so we can guess which is which or do we have to test them one by one?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This means that i find the patch name for french yellow version, I juste have to give that name to the injected french yellow rom for it to work, right?
If that's the case, we should have some list with each version/language associated with the correct filename.

Has someone found any pattern in the filenames so we can guess which is which or do we have to test them one by one?
I gave you the right filename. the second to last letter is the languages first letter, the one before that refers to the version

Edit:
DmgapXY#.???.patch

X=game (a=red e=blue s=yellow)
Y=language (e=english i=italian j=japanese f=french d=dutch s=spanish)
#=idk, version number maybe
???=doesn't seem relevant, probably random

Also, with a test I did, I think that only colors 2-4 of palletes 4 and 5 get set to white. Here is a Rom that I wrote to test it, if anyone wants to mess with it. If you want to set custom palettes, the palette data starts at 0x1000

To quickly summerize, it displays the BG palette on screen, in a grid of 4X8 tiles. Since the palette data at 0x1000 is all 00, it displays all colors as black (as you will see in an emulator). However when injected, it looks like 6 of the tiles are white

Attachments

• paletteTest.rar
    859 bytes · Views: 191
Last edited by froggestspirit,
Reactions: Elgrosp

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave you the right filename. the second to last letter is the languages first letter, the one before that refers to the version

Edit:
DmgapXY#.???.patch

X=game (a=red e=blue s=yellow)
Y=language (e=english i=italian j=japanese f=french d=dutch s=spanish)
#=idk, version number maybe
???=doesn't seem relevant, probably random

Also, with a test I did, I think that only colors 2-4 of palletes 4 and 5 get set to white. Here is a Rom that I wrote to test it, if anyone wants to mess with it. If you want to set custom palettes, the palette data starts at 0x1000

To quickly summerize, it displays the BG palette on screen, in a grid of 4X8 tiles. Since the palette data at 0x1000 is all 00, it displays all colors as black (as you will see in an emulator). However when injected, it looks like 6 of the tiles are white
Can I use this for my yellow crystal? :/

Reactions: XRaidersP

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use this for my yellow crystal? :/
naming the files doesn't matter. Those are the official names used for the official VC releases. Whether you name your rom "Dmgapse0.h08" or "pokemonyellow.gbc" makes no difference, it only matters that the patches have the same name.

As for the palette issues, I'm pretty much convinced that's coded into the emulator itself. So that leaves us with these options:
-Disassemble the emulator and try to patch it
-Find some work around similar to what I did for (kinda) fixing red in color
-Use the old emulator (this wont be nice seen as how we lose wireless support)
-Wait for pokemon G/S/C to be released, in which the glitch should be officially fixed

Though, has someone tried running red in the old emulator with the patch from this release? It'd be funny if there was wireless in the old one

Elgrosp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, with the correct patch, I was able to go to the wifi partner prompt with a french Yellow ROM. Gonna try a real trade tomorrow and let you know.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, with the correct patch, I was able to go to the wifi partner prompt with a french Yellow ROM. Gonna try a real trade tomorrow and let you know.
well i dont see why it wouldnt work essentially its the original roms with a patch your jut using another language

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naming the files doesn't matter. Those are the official names used for the official VC releases. Whether you name your rom "Dmgapse0.h08" or "pokemonyellow.gbc" makes no difference, it only matters that the patches have the same name.

As for the palette issues, I'm pretty much convinced that's coded into the emulator itself. So that leaves us with these options:
-Disassemble the emulator and try to patch it
-Find some work around similar to what I did for (kinda) fixing red in color
-Use the old emulator (this wont be nice seen as how we lose wireless support)
-Wait for pokemon G/S/C to be released, in which the glitch should be officially fixed

Though, has someone tried running red in the old emulator with the patch from this release? It'd be funny if there was wireless in the old one
Considering the options, disassembling the emulator, though unrealistic, may be the best option here. There's no guarantee that Nintendo is ever going to release Gold and Silver on VC, finding a workaround that FULLY works is unlikely, and using the old emulator would sacrifice Wireless.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Double post, but here's the patch file for Link's Awakening DX. It uses Mode2 quite a bit, and has some specific names.
;Dmgazle2.f51: ZeldaYumeDX

[PRINT]
Mode = 1
Address = xA0481
Fixcode = x18

[SoundDelayA]
Mode = 2
Type = 0
Address = x226
Fixcode = 2

[SoundDelayB]
Mode = 2
Type = 0
Address = x22C
Fixcode = 2

[SoundDelayC]
Mode = 2
Type = 1
Address = x230

[STAFF_Begin]
Mode = 5
Type = 0
Address = x5EDF7

[STAFF_End]
Mode = 5
Type = 1
Address = x5C66F

[YAHOO_1]
Mode = 1
Address = x72CBD
Fixcode = a4:48 45 4C 4C

[YAHOO_2]
Mode = 1
Address = x72CDE
Fixcode = a6:49 50 50 45 45 21

[YAHOO_3]
Mode = 1
Address = x72D1D
Fixcode = a14:49 50 50 45 45 21 20 59 49 50 50 45 45 21

[YAHOO_4]
Mode = 1
Address = x72E16
Fixcode = a6:49 50 50 45 45 21

;[LIGHT_Begin]
;Mode = 3
;Type = 0
;DarkEnable = 1
;Dark = 4
;Address = x610EF

;[LIGHT_End]
;Mode = 3
;Type = 1
;Address = x63F2D

;4F: origin 57: 1/2 5F: 1/4 67: 1/8
[LIGHT_FREQ]
Mode = 1
Address = x93b81
Fixcode = x67

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_75_0]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AB7
;Fixcode = a16: 6B 19 6B 19 B5 32 00 00 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_75_1]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AC7
;Fixcode = a16: 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_75_2]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AD7
;Fixcode = a16: 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47 6B 19 B5 32 00 00 FF 47

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_75_3]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AE7
;Fixcode = a16: 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47 6B 19 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47

;[LIGHT_COLOR_WHITE_75]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93B37
;Fixcode = a16: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_74_0]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93A77

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_74_1]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93A87

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_74_2]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93A97
;Fixcode = a16: B5 32 00 00 B5 32 FF 47 FF 7F FF 7F FF 7F FF 7F

;[LIGHT_COLOR_BLACK_74_3]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AA7
;Fixcode = a16: B5 32 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47 00 00 6B 19 B5 32 FF 47

;[LIGHT_COLOR_WHITE_74_0]
;Mode = 1
;Address = x93AF7
;Fixcode = a16: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

[Dead Menu Begin]
Mode = 2
Type = 3
Address = x42DC
Fixcode = 1343

[Dead Menu End]
Mode = 2
Type = 4
Address = x42E5
Fixcode = 1343

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the options, disassembling the emulator, though unrealistic, may be the best option here. There's no guarantee that Nintendo is ever going to release Gold and Silver on VC, finding a workaround that FULLY works is unlikely, and using the old emulator would sacrifice Wireless.
Let's all cross our fingers and hope that Nintendo releases G/S/C VC mid year to add to the hype and celebration of the 20th anniversary :lol:

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this shouldn't be posted here feel free to remove the link. In the below pastebin are my findings of what may be being modified by the patches using the pokered disassembly as a guide. I'm not 100% sure on everything so take it with a grain of salt. I also skipped over some patches that had to do with link battle as I was most interested in trade and initial connection (to use time capsule in g/s/c).

http://pastebin.com/sQHuv6Gj

I tried to match patterns to see if the offsets could be replaced easily using the pokecrystal dissaembly but got stuck when I got to the link cable fake patches as that is where red and crystal started to differ by a lot. there wasn't a clean equivalent to the cable_club_npc.asm file whihc in red, handles all initial connections to link, that I could match patterns to. It may have been a futile effort but I learned a little bit more in the process so it wasn't a huge waste of time for me.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this shouldn't be posted here feel free to remove the link. In the below pastebin are my findings of what may be being modified by the patches using the pokered disassembly as a guide. I'm not 100% sure on everything so take it with a grain of salt. I also skipped over some patches that had to do with link battle as I was most interested in trade and initial connection (to use time capsule in g/s/c).

http://pastebin.com/sQHuv6Gj

I tried to match patterns to see if the offsets could be replaced easily using the pokecrystal dissaembly but got stuck when I got to the link cable fake patches as that is where red and crystal started to differ by a lot. there wasn't a clean equivalent to the cable_club_npc.asm file whihc in red, handles all initial connections to link, that I could match patterns to. It may have been a futile effort but I learned a little bit more in the process so it wasn't a huge waste of time for me.
well dont forget gold/silver/crystal had mystery gift that trys to access IR port also so may conflict there, just like yellow has patches to block print function

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well dont forget gold/silver/crystal had mystery gift that trys to access IR port also so may conflict there, just like yellow has patches to block print function
Yeah I saw references to mystery gift as I was looking through the Crystal dissasembly. Needless to say I had forgotten it when I had started aahahaha. While I don't think the IR port would cause any trouble by itself, I do know that simple pattern searching simply won't be enough to get these patches working on other games. I do see repairing patches for certain R/B/Y romhacks that break the network patches as possible however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye