ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds reasonable. But on my Crystal I must first find out how to leave my room. Everytime I try to leave it, the game freezes. So it has something to do with the GBC rom itself, that the VC can't handle.
Remove the patch file or rename the rom. The patches are trying to patch the wrong things in those games because they are coded to touch very specific offsets. This of course means no link functions until the offsets are figured out and specified for g/s/c

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of the fact that it is referenced in some other VC game patches, can any one find an example of another VC game that uses Mode2?
It would help us out a lot here.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove the patch file or rename the rom. The patches are trying to patch the wrong things in those games because they are coded to touch very specific offsets. This of course means no link functions until the offsets are figured out and specified for g/s/c
Nope, I already tried that. Still the same error I posted before. Weird textures or not all of them and still can't leave my room without a freeze. Or I am invisible.

Edit: Nvm, the game works, I can leave my room and pick a starter but the textures are still weird and whiteouted. Plus I really want to get the local trading function to work...

Last edited by Traiver,
Reactions: XRaidersP

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I already tried that. Still the same error I posted before. Weird textures or not all of them and still can't leave my room without a freeze. Or I am invisible.
Odd. Weird BG pallets will always be miscolored but sprites should be OK. I've injected crystal (untouched us release) in particular into red and yellow both with a rebuilt Cia and through Hans. I got up to the point where you can trade for the first time without problems(I did not attempt to progress further) . All I've done was remove the patch files. Without patches removed I would experience the same problems and its restarting and having trouble exiting rooms.

Last edited by kohu,

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd. Weird BG pallets will always be miscolored but sprites should be OK. I've injected crystal (untouched us release) in particular into red and yellow both with a rebuilt Cia and through Hans. I got up to the point where you can trade for the first time without problems(I did not attempt to progress further) . All I've done was remove the patch files. Without patches removed I would experience the same problems and its restarting and having trouble exiting rooms.
Would it be possible to delete all textes inside the patches and just leave the important network lines there?

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to delete all textes inside the patches and just leave the important network lines there?
Possible yes. But the problem is that the offsets are wrong. I've actually done that same thing already a few days ago. Turned patches off until I got into the trade area then turned on the network and gamelink patches. They didn't do anything because the offsets are wrong for g/s/c. You can look at the other patches for each region and version to see the offsets differ too. In short it's not a simple replacement, sadly.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible yes. But the problem is that the offsets are wrong. I've actually done that same thing already a few days ago. Turned patches off until I got into the trade area then turned on the network and gamelink patches. They didn't do anything because the offsets are wrong for g/s/c. You can look at the other patches for each region and version to see the offsets differ too. In short it's not a simple replacement, sadly.
Damn, we need someone with more knowledge on this. I already PMed SciresM, he helped me much in the past. And changing any offsets in the GBC rom makes no sense.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've worked a lot with the pokemon red and crystal disassemblies, to the point that I've created a fully functioning voltorb flip mini-game in crystal from scratch :P
I posted on another forum, but I might look into the disassembly, and document some link cable features. Porting the patch to crystal shouldn't be hard, I think our main obstacle is that palletes 4 and 5 seem to dissappear to white, because that seems unrelated to the patches.

As for mode 2, I'm pretty sure that's a callback for exclusive features like wireless and pikachu's cry, so that will only be in the pokemon VC releases...

[PLAY_HACK]
Mode = 2
Address = 0x150
Type = 6
Is in yellow. address 0x150 is typically the entry point of the ROM (jumped to from 0x100, the real entry point in any gb/c rom), so this is run right as the game starts (presumably to set up sound playing functions)

Last edited by froggestspirit,
Reactions: kohu

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've worked a lot with the pokemon red and crystal disassemblies, to the point that I've created a fully functioning voltorb flip mini-game in crystal from scratch :P
I posted on another forum, but I might look into the disassembly, and document some link cable features. Porting the patch to crystal shouldn't be hard, I think our main obstacle is that palletes 4 and 5 seem to dissappear to white, because that seems unrelated to the patches.

As for mode 2, I'm pretty sure that's a callback for exclusive features like wireless and pikachu's cry, so that will only be in the pokemon VC releases...

[PLAY_HACK]
Mode = 2
Address = 0x150
Type = 6
Is in yellow. address 0x150 is typically the entry point of the ROM (jumped to from 0x100, the real entry point in any gb/c rom), so this is run right as the game starts (presumably to set up sound playing functions)
I don't care about thse white pallets, the mainly feature I want to get to work it the local trade feature x)

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@froggestspirit yeah saw your work as the creator for the basis of the red color hack.

if you have any way to help the following things would be great

a 151 Pokemon Red hack that doesnt include optional stuff like the full colour hack because it breaks the game when making it.

a way to get the Gen 2 music Patch to work with the Sprite Patch, (This breaks trading)

A way to get the full colour patch for red/blue to work without lost sprites (even reducing the palette amount to counter this since certain palette numbers are not loaded) (also running this with Gen 2 sprites crashes it)

I tested gold injected into Red it crashed in first room, solved it by setting the 0x143 to 00 to force it to laod in BW, loaded with heavy graphic glitches that fixed when offscreen.
Gold then looped when selecting starter, travier said also looped when talking to rival outside.
Silver didnt start for him lol

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@froggestspirit yeah saw your work as the creator for the basis of the red color hack.

if you have any way to help the following things would be great

a 151 Pokemon Red hack that doesnt include optional stuff like the full colour hack because it breaks the game when making it.

a way to get the Gen 2 music Patch to work with the Sprite Patch, (This breaks trading)

A way to get the full colour patch for red/blue to work without lost sprites (even reducing the palette amount to counter this since certain palette numbers are not loaded) (also running this with Gen 2 sprites crashes it)

I tested gold injected into Red it crashed in first room, solved it by setting the 0x143 to 00 to force it to laod in BW, loaded with heavy graphic glitches that fixed when offscreen.
Gold then looped when selecting starter, travier said also looped when talking to rival outside.
Silver didnt start for him lol
Yes, I gave up on Silver xD I still try it with Crystal. I removed all patches and the game works well with some missing textures. Now we must figure out what patch can be in the patched file and what offsets it needs.

10268554_949286098473952_5001137072375495695_n.jpg

12805807_949286108473951_7077719580532039662_n.jpg

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
from what i can tell they removed the savestate feature because its a pokemon game and 2 they redesigned the virtual console to have networking functionality from within VC.

the last time any form of game had this was 4swords anniversary edition in which they made it into a DSI app to support these functionalities

the changes have had some straight up impacts to how the current roms are handled though

Last edited by izy,

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i can tell they removed the savestate feature because its a pokemon game and 2 they redesigned the virtual console to have networking functionality from within VC.

the last time any form of game had this was 4swords anniversary edition in which they made it into a DSI app to support these functionalities

the changes have had some straight up impacts to how the current roms are handled though
I'd say four swords was more so remade, it had better quality music, etc.

I'm almost afraid that the palette issues are in the emulator itself...
Some people were saying that the palletes can flash the correct colors when fading, is this true?
Also @squee666 , it will be hard to port any games without a disassembly, unless the network features are really simple. The gen2 graphics patch fails in pokemon red color hack because I believe that Danny-E used the crystal sprite-loading routine, so that most likely shifted enough code to mis-align the patches

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?