Hacking Gateway will fix any bricked 3DS for free, as long as you're not lying!

aliak11

Pokemon Master
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THAT was actually more helpful.

But do you know how that large string actually reach those config? How does the handshake work between the card and the 3DS? How does the flash card trick the 3DS to break out of the protected environment to gain Kernel access?

Or is that just it? After the 3DS start communicating with the card it simply send a string that does all the trick?

I would like a detailed description of the whole process, do you have a link?

This is how the first exploit works, too long or corrupted strings (01Ah 2 Nickname length in characters 050h 2 Message length in characters) in the NVRAM DS user settings cause (System Settings->Other Settings->Profile->Nintendo DS Profile) to crash in 3DS-mode due to a stack-smash.

The kernel exploit is actually tied to a huge rsa_verify request for which the length isn't checked, the payload written by gateway's ROP chain at 0x080C3EE0 is copied somewhere in the 0x20000000 area by the kernel and what triggers it to jump to the code later on.

boogiemantcb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone gave up the right to bitch about a bricked unit when they went and started modifying a system to do things that it hasn't been fully tested for. What were the circstances behind the 2 or 3 "legitimate" gateway bricks? Also how many people are running gateway cards right now? If they have sold 10,000 cards that resulted in 3 bricks I think they could afford shipping and replacement to keep their sales flowing. And I thought I read in gateways update to send valid bricked units back to the reseller who would finish processing the claim. This would make a company that can be held responsible to actually be responsible for fixing bricks. But I could have read that wrong. And as far as the $100 ransom that sounds reasonable to me because they probably don't want people bricking their unit with a competitors card then buying a gateway and sending it in trying to make gateway foot the bill for their mistake. This would cost gateway lots of money to send people their bricks back plus time they take to investigate whether its legit or not. At least they're being honest and saying straight up if you try to scam us it will cost you $100. Sure they're not the first business to do this..

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has the last laugh after all i guess. Oh well. Guess i'm glad i chose to ignore 3ds flashcards.
Sending in your system all the way to china to a group of people who supposedly will maybe fix your console seems pretty shady...
How come all the bricks happened at this moment in time anyways? Did i miss that answer somewhere?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has the last laugh after all i guess. Oh well. Guess i'm glad i chose to ignore 3ds flashcards.
Sending in your system all the way to china to a group of people who supposedly will maybe fix your console seems pretty shady...
How come all the bricks happened at this moment in time anyways? Did i miss that answer somewhere?

And people asked my why I never bought the sodding thing.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They added code to brick the CONSOLE of people who may use a clone. Not the cart, the console. There is nothing to defend that, it is just plain overkill and more than sufficent reason to no longer trust them in any way.

Quick to think up other things they can do, slow to think about if they're possible.

If you can prove they tried to brick clones instead first and failed, go for it.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait for feedback from people that actually used this "service"

There is WAY too much trust you have to put into this "company" if you have to send your 3DS, Gateway, $100, AND pay for the shipping to China. I mean, you're entrusting roughly $300 in your assets, give or take, to some no-names in China, that, lets be honest here, probably aren't obligated to do anything but rob you due to a lack of International, Chinese, and regional laws. You're sending your $300 to halfway around the world and theres no guarantee they'll do anything for you.

They say things like "If you used a clone, we'll know" but what if they don't know, and they're in the position of dictating their word over yours, because we don't and can't know the range of their abilities. Even if they send back your 3DS and Gateway, they can say "You did this so we're keeping your $100" without having to provide proof that the really didfind out if you were using a clone or not.

The smartest thing in my opinion is telling Nintendo your device was stolen to see what eShop purchases you can salvage, and listi your 3DS as bricked on eBay and see what you can get for it. Use what little money you can still get and apply it to a new system and try to get Nintendo to transfer your purchase history to that new system. Its very complex and frustrating thing to do, but its better than having a bricked system, and IMO, better than sending your $180 3DS, $80 Gateway, and $100 to some unknowns in fucking China.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You guys dont get it.
They most likely don't care if you bricked your console using a clone cart but in order to get unbricked YOU NEED TO BUY A GATEWAY.

"You want a working console ? sure become our customer and well gladly fix it"

Person that sent in is happy, Gateway has a new loyal customer, profit !

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You guys dont get it.
They most likely don't care if you bricked your console using a clone cart but in order to get unbricked YOU NEED TO BUY A GATEWAY.

"You want a working console ? sure become our customer and well gladly fix it"

Person that sent in is happy, Gateway has a new loyal customer, profit !

do you really think that if team gateway are offering this service they would be able to tell if a modified launcher.dat was used to BSOD the 3DS, the are not gonna just replace a persons 3DS cos they have just purchased a gateway card............................sudeki300

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Dont know where people are getting the idea its gonna cost $100, like they plainly state, if you sent an imcomplete return (3DS, GW and SD) or send in a 3DS that used a clone, it will cost you $100 to get it shipped back if you want to see it again, they arent charging for the service, even the send in portion that people are presuming to cost "50$ US to send it to china"

"To send us your console, Gateway and SD card, please contact your vendor, and email us the tracking number and vendor's name. We will handle the rest."

you will more than likely get sent a prepaid postage bag, to send to your vendor who will onsend to GW or you send directly to their service centre, where exactly do they say pay a shitload to ship it to us ???
Just like the other 50 threads, full of speculation, but very little fact :) Like they say, its very unlikely to have happened to legit GW users and if so they will fix or replace for you, which will be FREE OF CHARGE IF LEGIT, Cost will be time and trust

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wait for feedback from people that actually used this "service"

There is WAY too much trust you have to put into this "company" if you have to send your 3DS, Gateway, $100, AND pay for the shipping to China. I mean, you're entrusting roughly $300 in your assets, give or take, to some no-names in China, that, lets be honest here, probably aren't obligated to do anything but rob you due to a lack of International, Chinese, and regional laws. You're sending your $300 to halfway around the world and theres no guarantee they'll do anything for you.

They say things like "If you used a clone, we'll know" but what if they don't know, and they're in the position of dictating their word over yours, because we don't and can't know the range of their abilities. Even if they send back your 3DS and Gateway, they can say "You did this so we're keeping your $100" without having to provide proof that the really didfind out if you were using a clone or not.

The smartest thing in my opinion is telling Nintendo your device was stolen to see what eShop purchases you can salvage, and listi your 3DS as bricked on eBay and see what you can get for it. Use what little money you can still get and apply it to a new system and try to get Nintendo to transfer your purchase history to that new system. Its very complex and frustrating thing to do, but its better than having a bricked system, and IMO, better than sending your $180 3DS, $80 Gateway, and $100 to some unknowns in fucking China.
I'm mostly wondering how the hell they would tell.
1. The clones are pretty much a near direct copy
2. the bricking code zeroes out the NAND.
Zeroes are zeroes, you can't really tell what zeroed them. I guess they assume that the bricking code will never run on a legit Gateway, so if your NAND is zeroed they immediately declare fake.

Reactions: Madridi

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It doesnt zero the NAND, its set the EMMC Controller to a size of 0 bytes, and they will be able to spot the differences between the clones bricks and ones done by their device or they wouldnt bother, are people expecting a scam and expect to see 50 refurbished 4.5's turning up on aliexpress or eachmall :)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haha, it gets better and better with this team.

With this email they clearly admit that legit GW users also can get bricks.
Something they always (and still) deny.
Well, of course they can. These kinds of bricks were reported long before Gateway ever came along. The same thing happens if a component gets knocked loose. If I'm interpreting this email right, they think that is the only kind of brick that can happen to a Gateway user, judging by the fact that they don't need a NAND backup. If it's bricked through software, they'll mostly likely instantly declare it a clone caused brick, no matter what.

Reactions: NEP

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, of course they can. These kinds of bricks were reported long before Gateway ever came along. The same thing happens if a component gets knocked loose. If I'm interpreting this email right, they think that is the only kind of brick that can happen to a Gateway user, judging by the fact that they don't need a NAND backup. If it's bricked through software, they'll mostly likely instantly declare it a clone caused brick, no matter what.
Of course they say that this is the only cause of bricks for legit GW users.
But why should they offer support for these kind bricks?
Normally they would say: Go to Nintendo and let them fix this, the brick has nothing to do with us.
No, they now know exactly that their kill code can brick legit GW users.

This whole repair bullshit is a simple PR move to save their image.
So that the little warez kiddies can say: See, GW is so nice, they offer repairs.
You only have to read this thread, so many naive people that are not able to make a own line of thought and believe everything the marketingdepartment of a corp. says them, it´s unbelievable (and sad).
Everyone who can´t see through this by reading this email full of ridiculous accusations (clone mafia with faked brick reports :rofl:) and contradictions ("legit GW doesn´t brick" -> "we offer repairs for legit bricked units" :wtf: ) should get a reality check.
Who is stupid enough to think that a flashcard manufacturer would repair send in items can gladly learn the hard way.:rofl2:

I more and more believe, that GW team is the exact same as True Blue/Paradox/garyOPA.
The whole situation is like a big deja-vu.
They have good coders yes, Paradox have/had some of the best in the scene (but killed their reputation with True Blue), but are extremely bad with business.
You would think they have learned from True Blue that clones are inevitable, especially in this shady modding greymarket.
Seems like they have learned nothing.

@Ryukouki:
I think GBAtemp should report a little bit more critical about these things and not only paste PR mails on the front page.
You have a (often) very young and very naive community, you should warn them more about risks and make them think clearer.
Don´t be the PR shill of some shady modding company.;)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Of course they say that this is the only cause of bricks for legit GW users.
But why should they offer support for these kind bricks?
Normally they would say: Go to Nintendo and let them fix this, the brick has nothing to do with us.
No, they now know exactly that their kill code can brick legit GW users.

This whole repair bullshit is a simple PR move to save their image.
So that the little warez kiddies can say: See, GW is so nice, they offer repairs.
You only have to read this thread, so many naive people that are not able to make a own line of thought and believe everything the marketingdepartment of a corp. says them, it´s unbelievable (and sad).
Everyone who can´t see through this by reading this email full of ridiculous accusations and contradictions should get a reality check.
Who is stupid enough to think that a flashcard manufacturer would repair send in items can gladly pay dearly.:rofl2:

I more and more believe, that GW team is the exact same as True Blue/Paradox/PS3Crunch/garyOPA.
The whole situation is like a big daja-vu.
They are good coders, Paradox have/had some of the best in the scene (but killed their reputation with True Blue), but are extremely bad with business.
You would think they have learned from True Blue that Clones are inevitable, especially in this shaddy modding greymarket.
Seems like they have learned nothing.

@Ryukouki:
I think GBAtemp should report a little bit more critical about these things and not only paste PR mails on the front page.
You have a (often) very young and very naive community, you should warn them more about risks and make them think clearer.
Don´t be a PR shill of some shaddy modding company.;)
If your console is bricked, and you only used the files we provided on our website, then it is almost certain this is not related to Gateway, but we will gladly help you to thank you for your support and purchase. We mean it was probably just an accidental bricking, like it happens sometimes for mainstream Nintendo 3DS users or any device in fact who do not user any accessoryt. But we will fix it for you, gladly.
They're so sure only unrelated brick can happen that it wouldn't surprise if they refused any killcode bricked 3DS outright, no matter what the actual cause was.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
They're so sure only unrelated brick can happen that it wouldn't surprise if they refused any killcode bricked 3DS outright, no matter what the actual cause was.

Yeah, the whole thing to me reads that they're not really offering the service because the email is so intimidating that nobody with a legit brick would dare use it.

gix222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i played all night on 2.02b and nothing happened, it confirms the Gateway is SAFE.

where to find those r4`s who will pay me big monnies to post here bad things about safe product?!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, wut wut