Hacking Gateway will fix any bricked 3DS for free, as long as you're not lying!

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The gateway installer ds mode "faux" rom installs specially crafted data into the ds mode profile of the 3DS.

When the 3ds mode mset or System settings app tries to interpret this data (when you press... You guessed it... DS profile), the specifics of that procedure are exploited, whereupon code execution becomes possible.

Did I really have to spell this out? It's been common knowledge since a year.

Reactions: NEP and inuyasha555

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
to long or corrupted strings (01Ah 2 Nickname length in characters 050h 2 Message length in characters) in the NVRAM DS user settings cause (System Settings/Other Settings/Profile/Nintendo DS Profile to crush) (this is still 3DS mode)

I'm going to take a WILD guess and say it either makes this string in the NVRAM DS user settings too long or corrupt.

Yeah I got it, 3dbrew got this message while they were apparently messing with some file in "System Settings/Other Settings/Profile/Nintendo DS Profile".

We passed 2 page of garbage so I'll reformulate my request and try to be the most unambiguous as possible :

What I asked two page ago was details about the way GW was able to gain "root" access (or whatever they call it) to execute their software? Did they use some sort of zero day? Did they exploit another sort of vulnerability?

justinkb said earlier that 3dbrew was the original maker of the exploit used by GW but I stopped taking him seriously after he told me to "kill myself". I guess the detail of GW's exploit is kept secret (with reason of course).

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, you can send your 3DS off to an anonymous group of hackers who operate beyond the reach of any civilized legal system and hope they will actually fix your damaged unit and not hold it hostage in order to attempt to extort money ($100 or whatever) out of you?

Yeah, I think I will pass on buying or using a Gateway card.

I would love some legitimate homebrew for the 3DS. I would especially love to actually be able to render SNES and Genesis games in 240p rather than the DS resolution, which is too low. But I really hope that if the 3DS ever has homebrew, it will not require one of these pirate cards from the third world because if Gateway's actions are any indication, they are untrustworthy businesses and you have absolutely no recourse through the legal system. Unless you are going to fly to whatever developing nation they operate out of (probably China), track them down, and beat the snot out of them for bricking your console, you are pretty much boned.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The gateway installer ds mode "faux" rom installs specially crafted data into the ds mode profile of the 3DS.

When the 3ds mode mset or System settings app tries to interpret this data (when you press... You guessed it... DS profile), the specifics of that procedure are exploited, whereupon code execution becomes possible.

Did I really have to spell this out? It's been common knowledge since a year.

Ok, let's interpret this...

1) Execution of Gateway installer that install "specially crafted" data in the 3DS
2) When you execute (interprete?) this data, the "specifics of that procedure are exploited" so code execution is possible (....er ok)

And me that asked about details and source...

Basically justinkb you're giving me a resume about the step to use GW's card...You plug the card, install program in 3DS and execute that program.

Let's just stop this, you cannot give me what I'm looking for.

alex_fr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
this is just a façade, they're trying to save face. they can dismiss all the claims easily and profit from shipping $$$ you send them :hateit:

I remain skeptical until someone actually gets his console repaired by them...

yeah interesting that they apparently don't need a valid NAND dump...

Reactions: Cyberdrive and ELok

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just a façade, they're trying to save face. they can dismiss all the claims easily and profit from shipping $$$ you send them :hateit:

I remain skeptical until someone actually gets his console repaired by them...

yeah interesting that they apparently don't need a valid NAND dump...
they don't touch the nand, the fuck with the nand controller so it thinks there is no nand chip.

Reactions: tjexp and kyogre123

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yeah I agree with this. I would have preferred if they created a more affordable option. Like creating a tutorial about unbricking the 3DS yourself.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I agree with this. I would have preferred if they created a more affordable option. Like creating a tutorial about unbricking the 3DS yourself.
Fixing an eMMC controller? Whoa, uh, a tutorial for THAT? I don't think a consumer will be able to fix it, because this is quite hard to do.

Reactions: NEP

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fixing an eMMC controller? Whoa, uh, a tutorial for THAT? I don't think a consumer will be able to fix it, because this is quite hard to do.

Yes why not? If it's about re-flashing a chip more than a few people will be able to do it of find someone that'll do it.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not reflashing a chip at all.

Well It was a guess but I must admit I don't know the detail about the way those 3DS brick.

You seem to have some knowledge about it, care to share? (I'm studying in embedded systems, don't hesitate to go into detail).

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well It was a guess but I must admit I don't know the detail about the way those 3DS brick.

You seem to have some knowledge about it, care to share? (I'm studying in embedded systems, don't hesitate to go into detail).
Check the edit in my post. I know how the brick works, hence why it is impossible to fix it from soldering it. But idk how it would be fixed. A few hackers know though, but they said that it is no easy task.

boogiemantcb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't get why everyone is bashing gateway so hard when there is no proof that they did anything wrong. So what if they did include a kill code that was only activated by people tampering with code that they don't know enough about! I still haven't seen one person come on this post and say they have gotten a bricked console from using only official gateway hardware and software. Everyone's all hung up on shipping costs and conspiracies yet I don't think anyone is going to have to send their unit in. Plus I'm sure gateway realizes that people in the computer industry talk on these forums and if they do shady stuff like keep people's consoles everyone would find out instantly and gateway would cease to exist as a company right when they're about to start making good money. Wouldnt make sense for gateway to risk all the time and money they spent to make the flashcard for a few bricked consoles. I give gateway the benefit of the doubt and believe they really would fix or replace a legitimately bricked 3ds. Who knows maybe they will reimburse shipping once they find out it is in fact a legitimate brick. I have been looking for hours and haven't found 1 proven case of a legitimate gateway brick.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They use American English on their website, e.g. color instead of colour, realize instead of realise. Europeans would notice that instantly. It's also an American domain. Even if the carts are manufactured in China doesn't mean it's a Chinese team or French team for that matter. Given the clues, I'd bet on American.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't get why everyone is bashing gateway so hard when there is no proof that they did anything wrong. So what if they did include a kill code that was only activated by people tampering with code that they don't know enough about! I still haven't seen one person come on this post and say they have gotten a bricked console from using only official gateway hardware and software. Everyone's all hung up on shipping costs and conspiracies yet I don't think anyone is going to have to send their unit in. Plus I'm sure gateway realizes that people in the computer industry talk on these forums and if they do shady stuff like keep people's consoles everyone would find out instantly and gateway would cease to exist as a company right when they're about to start making good money. Wouldnt make sense for gateway to risk all the time and money they spent to make the flashcard for a few bricked consoles. I give gateway the benefit of the doubt and believe they really would fix or replace a legitimately bricked 3ds. Who knows maybe they will reimburse shipping once they find out it is in fact a legitimate brick. I have been looking for hours and haven't found 1 proven case of a legitimate gateway brick.

1. People have reported bricks from Gateway cards.

2. It is not like Gateway is a reputable manufacturer which can be held legally accountable for their actions in a fair and just judicial proceeding. I would be willing to wager that 99% of Gateway's customers are pirates, so it is not exactly like dealing with HP or Microsoft, where they have a professional reputation to protect and you can bring them to court in the United States or another similar democracy.

It is primarily pirates being hurt (apologies to those who bought it for region unlocking) by a shady third world company that enables piracy. It is like someone passing through town selling some bad weed. You cannot go to the cops to complain and if they get a bad reputation around town, they will just leave and go somewhere else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    HUB
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    And the switch 3 Router
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (every one of those fitting after network-, and all play part in the OSI networking layer model)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Google switch nsp and you will see,it, that site
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Aww how cool that site is Nintendo switch to me :D
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (de-URLing the URL 🤣)
    Switch 2 U
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (or do we call them URIs now?)
  • Quincy @ Quincy: