Hacking Gateway v2.0 Part 2: NAND Emulation

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that the retail cart backup and the NAND emulation features are somehow connected. Maybe somehow, this will allow us to run our own retail cart backups in some way. I'm giddy. Good thing I never updated :D

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that the retail cart backup and the NAND emulation features are somehow connected. Maybe somehow, this will allow us to run our own retail cart backups in some way. I'm giddy. Good thing I never updated :D
There'd be little point in ROM dumping if you couldn't use your own ROM. Of course you'd be able to use your own backups. That's what Gateway is for.

Great progress on this, Gateway. I won't be using it right away (since I already have two 3DSes, one at 4.5 and one at 6.3) but if these features keep coming, I may just end up selling the second 3DS that I got specifically for Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, and other future games.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Ok so NAND running from SD cannot be 1:1 copy of 3DS NAND (because GW would not run), so it must be edited.
So maybe it can be edited a bit more. (Install games directly without eshop? ) (Install homebrew titles?)

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
people i have see the video, him/her?? push on eshop icon and show how it works.. but i have i question : sure it is nand emulation? look fast like realnand, emunand in wii are more slow of real nand

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I imagine you would take the game that requires a FW > 4.5 and dump it to a rom(A). Then you would run the emulated NAND, which you would update, thus being able to play said rom(A).

This is how you would play carts that require higher FW, it has to be a backup rom, since the system is relying on the GW card in the slot. I'm speculating that it won't work to run the updated emunand then eject the GW card and put in the cart requiring higher FW. It has to be played from backup(rom).

Is that about right?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine you would take the game that requires a FW > 4.5 and dump it to a rom(A). Then you would run the emulated NAND, which you would update, thus being able to play said rom(A).

This is how you would play carts that require higher FW, it has to be a backup rom, since the system is relying on the GW card in the slot. I'm speculating that it won't work to run the updated emunand then eject the GW card and put in the cart requiring higher FW. It has to be played from backup(rom).

Is that about right?

I would assume this is how it works. But without official confirmation from Gateway on how retail carts would be able to be used, it's all just speculation. Even the response from Pedeadstrian earlier. :)

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've read up to page 7 and things started to go around and around in conversation. This in my opinion, is a slow progress towards a CFW and i won't get too excited til they release a really good SNES EMU. (FX Chip Support)

opal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Whoop-dee-shit. Doesn't mean a thing to us. I'll spend the $80 on something else :creep:
You will spend 80$ on 2 new 3DS games or on a few old games or your 3ds will be unused piece of sh*t (Do you really want a console without any games?).
It it your choice to not to buy 3DS with 4.5 FW. You still can and you don't want to buy it...
If I were you I would just sell your 3ds and buy a new one even if I had to add some additional money to this new 3ds with 4.5 FW.

Reactions: yuyuyup

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

well the region lock is only in software, so i am sure you will be able to dump games from any region using their tool.

i really hope they make it so we can play retail carts (region free, and under below the needed firmware version), in 'gateway' mode

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ok so NAND running from SD cannot be 1:1 copy of 3DS NAND (because GW would not run), so it must be edited.
So maybe it can be edited a bit more. (Install games directly without eshop? ) (Install homebrew titles?)

It will be a 1:1 copy as its booting into it via the gateway, just by the looks of it at the moment you just end up with a fully updated system via emulated nand if you updated it, no gateway mode inside it yet.. they didnt say but possibly the ability to play retail games, but i doubt it as there product wouldn't be needed, what they have basically done is the same as sneek, boot the 3ds from a different location, and since they have have full control of the 6.3 emunand, once they port their patches etc to it, we should have full rom support ( if they suss x/y etc) and hopefully online.. This is different to exploiting a 6.3 3DS, as since its booting into the emulated 6.3 Nand via the exploit, they should be able to do what they couldnt if it was a straight 6.3 Console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: I think we as a society should take the Cave Johnson approach to scientific studies