KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are setting your self up for dissapointment lol

What? Just saying that it's possible instead of outright "boo. it's sky3ds method". I already have a 4.x 3dsxl so this only affects my decision to import a PAL N3ds, no point getting a N3ds if it doesn't have emunand to future proof it.

Also, to throw in a new speculative theory, it's a theme based exploit. There's no way that a 9.x exploit exists but yet it does not exist in <9.x (reasoning being that if its there unnoticed by ninty, it should have existed prior to 9.x) This means that it's probably have something to do with new features introduced into 9.x that has vulnerabilities. This means themes exploit?

D

Deleted-355425

If that was the case then they would of told everyone to upgrade now. They didn't so take it from that

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that was the case then they would of told everyone to upgrade now. They didn't so take it from that
Wut? They just everyone not on 4.x to upgrade to 9.x :blink:

If what you're getting at is that they didn't advise 4.x people to upgrade, it might be that the new exploit doesn't allow for as many features as the one in 4.x. Or that they still haven't perfected the new method. Or that it take a while for them to add support for the new exploit, so people on 4.x would be better off staying there for the moment rather than upgrading and having to wait.

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It COULD be that they didn't wish to cause confusion to 4.x customers. Not to mention there's probably still a wait. There's the age old policy of don't fix anything that isn't broke. 4.x might have a better and easier entry point.

D

Deleted-355425

well i hope you are right because i want my new 3DSXL on a kexploit,

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No they didn't find a kernel exploit again, it's using the same method which sky3ds is using, they wouldn't say stay on 4.x otherwise.. Stop getting people's hopes up

Could you please back up your statements. I mean where are you getting this info?? People will start to think you are a Sky3ds plant. Stop speculating and saying things without any proof because thats how rumors start, and thats how you get a 5 page
discussion that some guy told us the GW team are using the same method as Sky3ds does. I mean think about it for FFS, Sky3ds works on all firmwares so far but the people at GW said to update to the latest firmware and not go past it.
Does it still sound that they are using the same method as Sky3ds? :rolleyes:

D

Deleted-355425

Could you please back up your statements. I mean where are you getting this info?? People will start to think you are a Sky3ds plant. Stop speculating and saying things without any proof because thats how rumors start, and thats how you get a 5 page
discussion that some guy told us the GW team are using the same method as Sky3ds does. I mean think about it for FFS, Sky3ds works on all firmwares so far but the people at GW said to update to the latest firmware and not go past it.
Does it still sound that they are using the same method as Sky3ds? :rolleyes:

You have as much proof it doesn't work around the same method as i say it does, im going off the facts GW has posted, and its logical to think its around the same method when sky3ds have just released their card, you are told not to go any further then the current firmware because Nintendo will patch sky 3d's method so why would GW be worried and say not to upgrade further? its all pretty obvious. when they say stay on 4.x that should further enforce my opinion so take it or leave it doesn't bother me either way.

Goatsie666

Head Smithy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@up are you trolling or did your game related knowledge never went past ps2 era ?

PS4 Release Dates:
Release date
Xbox One:

Release date
  • NA November 22, 2013[2]
  • EU November 22, 2013 (some countries, September 2, 2014 for others)[3]
  • AU November 22, 2013
  • BR November 22, 2013
  • CN September 29, 2014[6]

Wii U:
Release date
  • US|CA November 18, 2012
  • JP December 8, 2012
If we go for number of games produced i'd suspect that'd be usa, though i can't find proper data though.

no i really thought that

OriginalFool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have as much proof it doesn't work around the same method as i say it does, im going off the facts GW has posted, and its logical to think its around the same method when sky3ds have just released their card, you are told not to go any further then the current firmware because Nintendo will patch sky 3d's method so why would GW be worried and say not to upgrade further? its all pretty obvious. when they say stay on 4.x that should further enforce my opinion so take it or leave it doesn't bother me either way.

The only problem I see with this logic is that sky3ds works on all firmwares between 4.5 and 9.2. Whereas gateway specifies 9.0-9.2. While obviously you could write this off as just not wanting to support other firmware for ease, more logically for me atleaat something specific in those firmwares is being exploited.

Azebu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

We talked this through already.
There are two reasons why you should stay on 4.x
1. Because if you updated now, you wouldn't be able to use your Gateway for some time.
2a. Because there are no extra benefits of going to 9.2 instead. I don't really imagine any new features you could get on 9.2 that you wouldn't on 4.x.
2b. IF they really found something "whoa", a really good reason to update to 9.2, they can force an update to 9.2 with Gateway at a later date, can't they?

timxirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also feel it's most likely the case that they're using the same or similar method to Sky3DS... but like anyone else talking about it now, I don't have any "proof" either.

Someone may have pointed it out before, but Sky3DS isn't the only security breach 9.0-9.2 has seen. It's unlikely that GW team is using Smea's unreleased exploit, but combine both Smea's exploit and Sky3DS' method... Well, with that combo we might get somewhere (keyword: might). I still doubt we'll see .cia installs or emunand on 9.0-9.2. For obvious reasons I'm more concerned about the emunand feature.

(yes, I am fully aware smea's exploit is going to require an eshop game download)

EDIT: I too will keep FW 4.5 on my 3DS XL. Unfortunately I don't have a choice on my New 3DS LL, so 9.2 will have to do.

EDIT2: I take back my speculation on GW Team having possibly used Sky3DS method. Sky3DS works on all current FW (latest being 9.2). If my guess is based purely on a literal interpretation of the announcement, then the ONLY options for GW compatibility are 4.1-4.5 or 9.0-9.2 and nothing inbetween.

If that's true, then GW has seemingly found a new exploit to take advantage of. (although, one that seemingly provides less flexibility.. they express favor for FW 4.5 above FW 9.0-9.2)

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Well I dont have any proof, and I never said I did. And if its logical to think its around the same method why in the hell would GW say to update to 9.x? I mean they just could have said that the new update works on all versions till 9.x BUT it would be wise to update to that version for compatibility. Im guessing that they found a exploit in the latest update which is not related to Sky3dss method which as you may know works on pretty much all firmware versions.

D

Deleted-355425

Well I dont have any proof, and I never said I did. And if its logical to think its around the same method why in the hell would GW say to update to 9.x? I mean they just could have said that the new update works on all versions till 9.x BUT it would be wise to update to that version for compatibility. Im guessing that they found a exploit in the latest update which is not related to Sky3dss method which as you may know works on pretty much all firmware versions.

if it was a new exploit they wouldn't tell you to upgrade now and just wait until they are ready to release, they know the exploit will be patched by Nintendo and they know it will be soon because its the same entry point something out on the market is using right now, isn't that obvious?

If it was new they would say nothing, wait till the new N3DS is released and release it then, they are having their hand forced right now and to maximise sales. i have 2 4.x 3DSXL and a new N3DSXL coming in less then 2 weeks, it doesn't bother me either way but its so obvious.

timxirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUT it would be wise to update to that version for compatibility. Im guessing that they found a exploit in the latest update which is not related to Sky3dss method which as you may know works on pretty much all firmware versions.

EmuNAND supports the latest firmware and it's incredibly easy to set up and use-- You actually have better compatibility with 4.5 SysNAND and 9.2 EmuNAND. I see why you might think 9.2 SysNAND might be better, but that's not the reality of the situation.

In regards to an exploit in the latest update... FW 9.0-9.2 != "pretty much all firmware versions"

Simple example:
-System FW C.X.X introduces ponies. New exploit targets ponies.
-There are no ponies in System FW B.X.X (or anything lower for that matter). How do you exploit a pony that doesn't exist?

Reactions: Ashtonx

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
if it was a new exploit they wouldn't tell you to upgrade now and just wait until they are ready to release, they know the exploit will be patched by Nintendo and they know it will be soon because its the same entry point something out on the market is using right now, isn't that obvious?

If it was new they would say nothing, wait till the new N3DS is released and release it then, they are having their hand forced right now and to maximise sales. i have 2 4.x 3DSXL and a new N3DSXL coming in less then 2 weeks, it doesn't bother me either way but its so obvious.

Why wouldnt they? Better safe than sorry. Imagine what would happen if they found a new exploit and kept that quite and Nintendo pushed a new firmware update anyway. I mean I would chew my leg off, imagine how much money they could loose by doing something that stupid. And how in the hell is this the same entry point that Sky3ds uses when Sky3ds works on and a quote "any 3DS system version(including the newest V9.2.0-20J)" while GWs new update onyl works on 9.0.0-20 / 9.1.0-20J / 9.2.0-20. Does that sound the same to you? I mean come on...

Reactions: Azebu and timxirish

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
EmuNAND supports the latest firmware and it's incredibly easy to set up and use-- You actually have better compatibility with 4.5 SysNAND and 9.2 EmuNAND. I see why you might think 9.2 SysNAND might be better, but that's not the reality of the situation.

In regards to an exploit in the latest update... FW 9.0-9.2 != "pretty much all firmware versions"

Simple example:
-System FW C.X.X introduces ponies. New exploit targets ponies.
-There are no ponies in System FW B.X.X (or anything lower for that matter). How do you exploit a pony that doesn't exist?

My point was that if they really copied Sky3dss exploit they wouldnt tell us to update to the latest firmware, they would just say every firmware is exploitable like Sky3ds states, I mean why use emunand when you dont have to.
This being said you come to a simple conclusion; Sky3ds has their own exploit which works on all firmware, GW works only on 9.0.0-20 / 9.1.0-20J / 9.2.0-20, ergo GW found a new exploit that doesnt seem to have much to do with Sky3dss method.
That being said nobody is copying anybody, but time will tell.

timxirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldnt they? Better safe than sorry. Imagine what would happen if they found a new exploit and kept that quite and Nintendo pushed a new firmware update anyway. I mean I would chew my leg off, imagine how much money they could loose by doing something that stupid. And how in the hell is this the same entry point that Sky3ds uses when Sky3ds works on and a quote "any 3DS system version(including the newest V9.2.0-20J)" while GWs new update onyl works on 9.0.0-20 / 9.1.0-20J / 9.2.0-20. Does that sound the same to you? I mean come on...

Take a closer look at the source you're quoting:

Gateway said:
We recommend the following to our interested users:
  • If you are on native System Firmare 4.5, then please stay at this version.
  • If you are on native System Firmware 5.0 or higher, then please update to 9.0.0-20, 9.1.0-20J or 9.2.0-20 and stay on this version. Do not update beyond this version.

I agree-- Better safe than sorry.
That said, looks like they've asked 4.5 users not to upgrade.

D

Deleted-355425

My point was that if they really copied Sky3dss exploit they wouldnt tell us to update to the latest firmware, they would just say every firmware is exploitable like Sky3ds states, I mean why use emunand when you dont have to.
This being said you come to a simple conclusion; Sky3ds has their own exploit which works on all firmware, GW works only on 9.0.0-20 / 9.1.0-20J / 9.2.0-20, ergo GW found a new exploit that doesnt seem to have much to do with Sky3dss method.
That being said nobody is copying anybody, but time will tell.

if they don't use new hardware maybe it can only be used on 9.x have you thought as much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT