Gateway Release New Video - First Units To Ship This Week

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
bullshit needs to be stopped.

if you have a team that allows you to explore the inners of a console you buy, namely, they invest years, write down their findings, even share them through internet, without a single fee, that's some love for hardware hacking which is goooooooooooood, as long it doesn't call for piracy. Sadly a simple jump function enables piracy, so in the end, it's up to what people wants. (ie: teams that want to rip off, like gateway does)

If you do not show respect, or little for them, because you say they are selling their research, without a single proof about that, then I'll have none for you, and keep calling, what you're doing now,

speaking bullshit.

and give away the source link, i'd love to take a look at it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TemplarGR you are walking a very fine line and using some logic that may not be the tightest.

There is much historical precedent both public (the DS, the 360 and the PS3 scene will all attest to that) and known to those that know (you probably had to be there but read various NFOs for releases, calls for standards and whatever else to get an impression of what goes). However in this case we do not have the first inkling of such a thing occurring and if you continue spouting off it does then it will likely not end well.

I can well believe what you said has occurred but until such a time as there is evidence of such a thing occurring (we accept real world stuff, technical analysis and more) then you are spreading rumours at best and misinformation at worst.

Reactions: Rydian and Minox

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time will tell. There is the possibility that it happened just like you said. But you can't deny there is a strong possibilty they just sold the exploit... In fact, with what we know right now it is the most likely scenario. And that is what i believe, and unless it is proven that they use a different exploit, i will keep saying that...

Even if it is the same exploit it does not mean neo/yellow sold it, they're not the only smart guys in the world, someone else could have found the same exploit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The two exploits are of completely different nature - the Gateway one exploits hardware vulnerabilities (which have been partially mended by a software update), yellows8's/bushing's/the 3DBrew's crew exploits security holes in the firmware itself. Two entirely different cups of tea that have nothing to do with each other.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In fact, with what we know right now it is the most likely scenario.
Unless you provide some kind of proof to go with your theory it's as much untrue as any other guess someone else might hold. Saying something over and over again does not make it true.

So unless you have proof, stop spreading silly malicious rumors like that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As I said in another thread, neimod/yellow8 sold their exploit to the highest bidder. That is why they were "concerned" with free piracy if they released the hack. Notice the "free" part. They don't mind the piracy part, as long as they get paid for it...

There is no income from CFW, but there is from flashkarts... That is all folks...

PS: Making money from their hard work is fine, spreading moral BS about preventing piracy is not...
I have kind of a hard time believing that though. They seemed so adamant about preventing piracy. It's far more morally wrong to try to profit off piracy than to simply allow it to happen.
I would not be surprised if they make a post to dispel any rumor that they had anything to do with this in the future. Maybe even a post that explains a bit how it works, I would be interested in reading that :)

nothing as in NOTHING? or nothing as in nothing to help run roms on a lower firmware they are designed for?
i mean, surely it would make the rom smaller right by removing the update file?

maybe i don't know about how the hack works, but hmm... just because there IS a hack, it doesn't mean you don't need hardware, right?
sure there may be a kernel hack, but that doesn't mean you have to be able to trigger it by some image/mp3/file on your sd card. but maybe not?
maybe i am thinking about this the wrong way? it seems a bit like how people were getting upset with the ps3 and cobra's ode, why do you have to pay for hardware etc, release it as a software hack etc... but, it seemed like it HAD to be hardware... how else can you have an ODE without hardware? (at least, without heavily hacking the fw... etc, surely anything can be done if the source code for the os of consoles were released)
Well, we don't know for sure yet, but by the sound of it, that second cartridge used to prepare the 3DS likely installs something onto the 3DS that allows the flashcart to function. It could just as well allow loading from the 3DS SD card though it might be more work.

Their "entry point" as they call it is probably a portion of a retail game being exploited, similar to the 3DS/DSi carts currently available, but maybe requiring some work on the user end to trigger the exploit, like how hacked Wii saves work. This would technically allow them to run anything once the kernel exploit is used to gain system access, including a loader that would launch games from the SD card.
That doesn't mean a hardware device isn't required, as the second cart may be required on every boot to enable games to load from the flashcart. We don't know much about this yet, but there is probably a reason they have never shown the 3DS being turned on in their demonstration videos. It's always on before they start recording. Still the main flashcart that only serves as an interface for a MicroSD slot to load games from is basically unneccessary as there is no reason they couldn't load games from the main SD slot when they have full kernel access.

Regardless, with a kernel hack there is nothing stopping them from modding the firmware to create a CFW of sorts though it would for sure be more work if they aren't already doing something similar to this. This might still happen by a homebrew developer creating something that makes use of the Gateway 3DS in some way to mod the system though. I wouldn't expect any flashcart team to do this as it would be a lot of work for something they wouldn't benefit from in any way.

However, I think what they are currently doing to load games from the flashcart could be modified to load from the SD slot with relative ease by someone skilled at console hacking, as the SD slot is just another peripheral and with the kernel hack they have access to everything.
That being said, since no one quite knows exactly what the hack does to allow loading games on the flashcart apart from the Gateway team and possibly yellows8/neimod, I can't be entirely sure that it would be that easy, but it's definitely possible. What the hack does may be as simple as modifying a few bytes of memory that bypass some check preventing it from working normally. In that case loading from the SD card could mean writing an entire loader that emulates cart access.
But if the hack actually does something a bit more complicated than that, such as reading directly from the MicroSD slot, it could very easily be modified to read the normal SD slot instead. Especially as they have proven they are already able to read and write from the main SD slot.

Reactions: joshuatm

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice they found a way to fix the save file issue, I am more curious if they are working on something to address the newer games that will be released latter this year. Namely the firmware thing. I don't know find a way to block checking for firmware or something so you don't have to update, you all know what I am talking about.

Praxedes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I will be very patient in to this. I still have to beat OOT 3D and Fire Emblem Awakening. I am sure this cart will fall on some genious dev hands that could possibly being reversed engineered! So we could run games from the SD slot and be happy forever. I am on 6.1.0-12U. They claim to work up to 4.5 but there is a note on their website "while this entry point has been tested up to 6.0". Is it means that they actually make it work on 6.0?

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice they found a way to fix the save file issue, I am more curious if they are working on something to address the newer games that will be released latter this year. Namely the firmware thing. I don't know find a way to block checking for firmware or something so you don't have to update, you all know what I am talking about.

This is something that I'm keen on finding out, as well!

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To me, it's obvious that Gateway uses the Neimod/Yellow8 hack .. and this is not a lack of respect towards them at all.
1st, look at what neimod said when he successfully decrypted the firmware:
[18:37] TODO list:
[18:38] exciting!
[18:38] 1. decrypt firmware
[18:38] 2. pwn arm9
[18:38] 3. ???
[18:38] 4. profit!
[18:38] scratch 1 from TODO list ;-)

notice step 4 ;)
2nd, remember when firmware 5.x.x came out how yellow8 said that their exploit was patched by nintendo ...
3rd, We haven't heard from them since they fully hacked the kernel.

I'm sure they invested a lot of time and money on hacking the 3ds and yes they did a lot of free work for us in the past, but don't blame those guys for selling their precious hack to the highest bidder, or maybe Gateway is Neimod and Yellow8, who knows :S.
Now let's see how Gateway will deal with Nintendo's updates.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To me, it's obvious that Gateway uses the Neimod/Yellow8 hack .. and this is not a lack of respect towards them at all.

notice step 4 ;)
2nd, remember when firmware 5.x.x came out how yellow8 said that their exploit was patched by nintendo ...

I'm sure they invested a lot of time and money on hacking the 3ds and yes they did a lot of free work for us in the past, but don't blame those guys for selling their precious hack to the highest bidder, or maybe Gateway is Neimod and Yellow8, who knows :S.
Just to stop people from getting the wrong idea without knowing the deeper specs of the issue, the "TODO list" is not an indication that neimod is/was going to make profit out of it. The same kind of structure has been used on sites like 4chan for almost as long as I remember and have visited the site (around 8-9 years). It even has an own page on knowyourmeme.com. That tells you alot.

EDIT: and it's from a South Park episode from '98..

Niksy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

notice step 4 ;)

Oh god it hurts...

The "steps" neimod described are part of a meme. It goes like this:
1. First step
2. Second step
n-1. ???
n. PROFIT!

Here's a more detailed link: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/profit

Kdonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need to be smart to understand that the team behind Gateway include Neimod/Yellow.
What is the last time you saw a team that doesn't sell the work.
Seriously wake up.
Donate + Selling Product = More win
Anyway I didn't see any respect or any real transparency behind this product or any similar product.
Look at others community, you want to be free take Android.
Any team don't give a shit to your point, they make business they don't understand the Robin Hood notion
So what did you expect from them ? The 3dsbrew bring false info and just show you what they need to show you.
This as nothing to do with conspiracy or theory, this is the reality that all.
You buy or you ignore

Etkar.H

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
They could even sell it for more money since people would likely be hacking their friends' 3DSes meaning potential lost sales. I'd be willing to pay more for something that is only needed once and is usable on multiple consoles.
700kr for a flashcard is pretty expensive even here in Norway, don't you think?

Kdonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What you speak is bullshit.

reasons:

1. they're against piracy

2. they have given various methods (a.k.a tricks) to access hardware in the past, namely, the DSi community, Wii and PS3. You just need another dev that stares at those "tricks" and exploits could be found. Namely, giantpune's letter exploit on Wii, compared to teamtwiizers letterbomb exploit. the former wanted some money, for the time invested, while the other released it for free. (yes, those guys you say they've sold the exploit, have given the Wii letterbomb exploit for free)

Let's put things in another perspective, how about 3DS 4.5 and below had it's shares of low level exploits?

They did nothing in the past stop talking about something you don't know, letter bomb and co didn't come from them, do you know what is the word appropriate ? You should that a real release never come from the supposed person, it's a leak not a true share (stolen work) the one who give for free like you said never say is name/username on public

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh god it hurts...

The "steps" neimod described are part of a meme. It goes like this:
1. First step
2. Second step
n-1. ???
n. PROFIT!

Here's a more detailed link: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/profit

Haha .. didn't know about that one ;) but I still think it's obvious that they're involved in the Gateway hack ... I mean, why post pictures and progress of all your research and when you succeed, you just say: We'll never release it to the public and the only news we had after, was that firmware 5.x.x fixed the exploit they were using. Do you really think they did all that work just to say: well, Nintendo patched it, it was fun but let's call it a day. It would actually reassure me if they are behind Gateway ... that would mean an update for the latest firmware might be possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch