Hacking Gateway 3DS Team Response to Clones and 2.0 update

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some progress report would be good. If you are making progress with 6.x you could say so. If you're still clueless as to how to support 6.x you should say so. Each time the Gateway team is just saying "not given up hope to support these consoles. But please be patient." is really pointless. It's just a marketing device. They are selling hope.

They have to find a new exploit for that - It's not really something you can give a progress report on.

Really, only four things they can say about it - Haven't found one yet but we are still looking, We just found one and are currently testing our product on the newer firmware, We've finished testing and heres a update for more firmware support, or We give up.

Edit - The Acekard was a clone as well - And it's now one of the big 3 for DS cards. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the r4i card - R4's varients that get abandoned are a dime a dozen - but the link card? Might be worth looking into.

Either way, more cards being out is a good thing - Means more people actively looking for new exploits in a attempt to oneup their competion.

I'm hoping to buy the cards anyway, just for collection purposes.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Claiming clones that cause failure and bricks to protect their future sales is not really relevant.

Coming out with a claim that support for 6.x is coming is way better in future proofing their product.

All that the gateway team has been saying is "we're working on 5.x and 6.x"

To that, my response would be... I'm working on an elixir of youth. Please buy my vitamin C pills meanwhile.

Some progress report would be good. If you are making progress with 6.x you could say so. If you're still clueless as to how to support 6.x you should say so. Each time the Gateway team is just saying "not given up hope to support these consoles. But please be patient." is really pointless. It's just a marketing device. They are selling hope.

Actually it is relevant, clones have a high failure rate, some poor sod it bound to buy a fake thinking it's a real Gateway. After a bit of time, the device ruins the 3DS and said customer goes on a warpath about how the GW team screwed him over, blah, blah, blah. They don't want people to be screwed over by some shoddy clone manufacturer. It's not a marketing device and they're not selling hope. If the so-called "selling hope ploy" bothers you so much, perhaps it would best fit your needs to update your system to 6.3. The team has kept their word since day one, not once have they let people down. They have to find another exploit, test it, make sure that it's ready to be implemented, etc.

I sincerely hope that what you said was a joke.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
They have to find a new exploit for that - It's not really something you can give a progress report on.

Really, only four things they can say about it - Haven't found one yet but we are still looking, We just found one and are currently testing our product on the newer firmware, We've finished testing and heres a update for more firmware support, or We give up.

Edit - The Acekard was a clone as well - And it's now one of the big 3 for DS cards. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the r4i card - R4's varients that get abandoned are a dime a dozen - but the link card? Might be worth looking into.

Either way, more cards being out is a good thing - Means more people actively looking for new exploits in a attempt to oneup their competion.

I'm hoping to buy the cards anyway, just for collection purposes.

Acekard was never a clone. You obviously don't know anything...

Reactions: enarky and redact

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of this clone animosity is reminding me of a game I played where human cloning was in its early stages and was often considered taboo, to the point where some clones where physically beaten, if not killed. Good times.

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
just found out i can use my dstwo can load the gateway program on my 3ds. so once i get the gateway i am not going to use the r4i card that comes with it.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty sure the first ever public release of Acekard was an R4 clone, but i've been wrong before.

You're very wrong. Acekard have never cloned any other cart they are in fact one of the few teams to design their own hardware from scratch. The others being Team Cyclops, R4/M3, Supercard and Ezflash.

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The clones are barely even discounted. Can't blame someone for buying a $4 R4 but who is seriously going to spend $60+ on an unreliable clone when the real thing is barely any higher?

Reactions: kyogre123

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I liked how they claimed clones will surely fail/brick "before long"

I also find it amusing that they respond about the clones in the 1st place. They're ripping off devs and in turn, they're getting ripped off by the chinese which was going to happen anyways.
Its Chinese nature to cheaply ripoff everything in existence.
true blue all over again, im suprised they didnt pack the fake sad and threaten to leave the scene

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Yeah, I understand that proper progress reports are out of the question at this point of time.

Clarification from the GW team is clearly missing. It's like the entire issue about 6.x support is stuck in limbo. Neither here nor there. "Still working" is an extremely vague descriptor without proper context.

Actually it is relevant, clones have a high failure rate, some poor sod it bound to buy a fake thinking it's a real Gateway. After a bit of time, the device ruins the 3DS and said customer goes on a warpath about how the GW team screwed him over, blah, blah, blah. They don't want people to be screwed over by some shoddy clone manufacturer. It's not a marketing device and they're not selling hope. If the so-called "selling hope ploy" bothers you so much, perhaps it would best fit your needs to update your system to 6.3. The team has kept their word since day one, not once have they let people down. They have to find another exploit, test it, make sure that it's ready to be implemented, etc.

I sincerely hope that what you said was a joke.

Ok, my bad. My general impression regarding clones is simply shoddier build quality as back in the old R4 clone days. Seems like this is probably not the case here but until people actually get their hands on the "clones", we won't know if the clones are proper or just cheap knock-offs. Until then, I believe further discussions of the pros and cons of clones will be rather meaningless.

As for the the selling hope part we're all entitled to our own opinion and that was mine. Businesses have been selling hope for eons. I'm just pointing out a distinct possibility.

KvinMoreaux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep, pretty much. Downgrading the firmware can be risky though.

You don't have to downgrade too it's possible to flash from 4.*ofw to a 4.*cfw i do that on my ps3 slim who can't be downgraded to 3.55 because it's min ver is 3.6.

And it's not so risky if you have a good dump.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Something else just occured to me... How can Gateway team possibly know that the 'clones' are actual clones of its 1.0 firmware? Who says the newcomers aren't developing their own personal software and hardware designs?

On another note, is there any release date for these new flashcards?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo