Gateway 3DS: Multiple Games On One SD

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sonic2756, Aug 18, 2013.

1. sonic2756
    OP

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    I've managed to get a micro SD going with multiple partitions and games on each of the partitions. However, it doesn't look like the GW3DS supports anything more than a single partition in the partition tables (either that or I'm just doing something wrong).

I'm gonna contact the GW team and see if they can take a look into this

Heres a quick guide if anyone wants to take a look into it:
    1. Download bootice from here
    2. In the "Physical Disk" section find your SD in the "destination disk" section and click "parts manage".
    3. In the new window, click "re-partitioning" and select USB-HDD mode (Multi-partitions).
    4. Configure the settings to your liking and let it format.
    5. The SD is now partitioned with multiple partitions.
    6. Download USB Image Tool from here
    7. Extract, etc.
    8. In the top left, select "volume mode" and select the volume you want to image with a ROM
    9. Click the "restore" button and change the search options to "all files" and find your rom.
    10. Let it image
    11. Done

2. suly10

suly10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2013
    Its a good idea but how would gateway load up other partitions?

3. sonic2756
    OP

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    You'd have to hide/unhide the other partitions so it mounts the non-hidden one first.

4. Relf

Relf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2010
    Canada
    I wonder if there's an app available on Android or iOS that would allow hiding sd card partitions, letting someone change them on the go. Not an ideal solution but a better one than having a half dozen sd cards.

sonic2756 likes this.
  5. suly10

suly10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2013
    You've proposed a decent idea but if gateway havnt been able to have at least 2 roms on one sd card, what makes you think they havnt maybe already tried what youve done?

6. sonic2756
    OP

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Wouldn't be for IOS, pretty sure there's one for android.

7. Avc123

Avc123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    See it's statements like this that are annoying. "Why didn't you help, because you thought someone else already did it?"
    Never assume just because someone has been trying longer that their creativity, or ideas have already covered your thoughts.
    To be frank, it never hurts to ask, right?

Ergo likes this.
  8. suly10

suly10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah I know I know, I just mean it in the way that what hes proposed, gateway may have already tried, I never said he was wrong or his idea was just complete BS so I aoplogize for coming across like that

9. n1ghty

n1ghty GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The gateway3ds reads the SD from byte 0.
    We have to write the rom at this position the data just gets passed through 1:1.
    If you create partitions, the gateway feeds the 3ds with a partition table => garbage.

Multiple roms per SD is possible, but the gateway team has to implent a way to read those partitions or even better a filesystem.
    To switch the roms, a gui is also needed (or manually editing filenames/hiding partitions etc).

I don't expect this feature in 2013.

justinkb likes this.
  10. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    wanted to post exactly this, but since you already did, i'll just quote and +1.

if they do make a GUI etc. eventually (which I doubt will ever happen, btw), doing it with partitions and stuff would be unnecessarily complicated for the average user, they would just add some simple fat32 fs to the card firmware or some stuff and their fpga would map the 'rom file' to raw data fed to 3ds.

11. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Maybe the DS installer can serves as the GUI.

12. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    if we put multiple 3ds files into sd card, remove the .3ds extension will work isn't it?. i mean we can simply rename the selected file we want

13. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica

The Gateway doesn't work like that. You have to "burn" the image to sd card, it's not like drag-and-drop .3ds roms onto the SD

14. schmake

schmake Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2006
    Purely an exercise in futility. My best guess is that the current exploit is just bypassing the check on card and allowing the gateway to boot. The SD is simply a copy of the rom package, not a file as other have mentioned.

Wait until the hack/payload is reverse engineered and or homebrew becomes enabled as you will simply load roms from the 3DS's SD card

15. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    ic. thanks for the info. i'll get mine tomorrow, currently at dhl processing centre

16. xyzmanas

xyzmanas GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2013
    The gateway 3ds should read the first first partition in the space address and I don't think hiding or un-hiding the partition will make the difference because logically the partition is still there, hiding and unhidung are used as a windows feature but the partitions are still there. I have seen this happening in many devices, for example the XBOX 360 just reads the first partition on the hard disk and none after that. If we have to see a multipartition support then it has to be done at the gateway end, if they could manage changing the Reading address of the partition but I guess that would be different for most of the sd cards.

17. Pigfoot

Pigfoot Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2005
    south wales
    They are working on a rom selection menu, i asked them through email and i don't think it'll be that long before they make it.

18. Kingfield

Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    oh really they said that?

19. Yamagushi

Yamagushi GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    A menu would require homebrew first. So until they announce homebrew, don't hold your breathe.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You don't need separate partitions to pull this off - all you need are jumps to specific areas of the SD card itself. Sectors are individually addressed - all you need is the address of the start of the binary and its total length.