Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
OP
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
I've managed to get a micro SD going with multiple partitions and games on each of the partitions. However, it doesn't look like the GW3DS supports anything more than a single partition in the partition tables (either that or I'm just doing something wrong).

I'm gonna contact the GW team and see if they can take a look into this

Heres a quick guide if anyone wants to take a look into it:
1. Download bootice from here
2. In the "Physical Disk" section find your SD in the "destination disk" section and click "parts manage".
3. In the new window, click "re-partitioning" and select USB-HDD mode (Multi-partitions).
4. Configure the settings to your liking and let it format.
5. The SD is now partitioned with multiple partitions.
6. Download USB Image Tool from here
7. Extract, etc.
8. In the top left, select "volume mode" and select the volume you want to image with a ROM
9. Click the "restore" button and change the search options to "all files" and find your rom.
10. Let it image
11. Done

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if there's an app available on Android or iOS that would allow hiding sd card partitions, letting someone change them on the go. Not an ideal solution but a better one than having a half dozen sd cards.

Reactions: sonic2756

suly10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You've proposed a decent idea but if gateway havnt been able to have at least 2 roms on one sd card, what makes you think they havnt maybe already tried what youve done?

Avc123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've proposed a decent idea but if gateway havnt been able to have at least 2 roms on one sd card, what makes you think they havnt maybe already tried what youve done?

See it's statements like this that are annoying. "Why didn't you help, because you thought someone else already did it?"
Never assume just because someone has been trying longer that their creativity, or ideas have already covered your thoughts.
To be frank, it never hurts to ask, right?

Reactions: Ergo

suly10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I know I know, I just mean it in the way that what hes proposed, gateway may have already tried, I never said he was wrong or his idea was just complete BS so I aoplogize for coming across like that

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
The gateway3ds reads the SD from byte 0.
We have to write the rom at this position the data just gets passed through 1:1.
If you create partitions, the gateway feeds the 3ds with a partition table => garbage.

Multiple roms per SD is possible, but the gateway team has to implent a way to read those partitions or even better a filesystem.
To switch the roms, a gui is also needed (or manually editing filenames/hiding partitions etc).

I don't expect this feature in 2013.

Reactions: justinkb

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We have to write the rom at this position the data just gets passed through 1:1.
If you create partitions, the gateway feeds the 3ds with a partition table => garbage.

Multiple roms per SD is possible, but the gateway team has to implent a way to read those partitions or even better a filesystem.
To switch the roms, a gui is also needed (or manually editing filenames/hiding partitions etc).

wanted to post exactly this, but since you already did, i'll just quote and +1.

if they do make a GUI etc. eventually (which I doubt will ever happen, btw), doing it with partitions and stuff would be unnecessarily complicated for the average user, they would just add some simple fat32 fs to the card firmware or some stuff and their fpga would map the 'rom file' to raw data fed to 3ds.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Maybe the DS installer can serves as the GUI.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
if we put multiple 3ds files into sd card, remove the .3ds extension will work isn't it?. i mean we can simply rename the selected file we want

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if we put multiple 3ds files into sd card, remove the .3ds extension will work isn't it?. i mean we can simply rename the selected file we want

The Gateway doesn't work like that. You have to "burn" the image to sd card, it's not like drag-and-drop .3ds roms onto the SD

schmake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Purely an exercise in futility. My best guess is that the current exploit is just bypassing the check on card and allowing the gateway to boot. The SD is simply a copy of the rom package, not a file as other have mentioned.

Wait until the hack/payload is reverse engineered and or homebrew becomes enabled as you will simply load roms from the 3DS's SD card

xyzmanas

Trophies
XP
Country
The gateway 3ds should read the first first partition in the space address and I don't think hiding or un-hiding the partition will make the difference because logically the partition is still there, hiding and unhidung are used as a windows feature but the partitions are still there. I have seen this happening in many devices, for example the XBOX 360 just reads the first partition on the hard disk and none after that. If we have to see a multipartition support then it has to be done at the gateway end, if they could manage changing the Reading address of the partition but I guess that would be different for most of the sd cards.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You don't need separate partitions to pull this off - all you need are jumps to specific areas of the SD card itself. Sectors are individually addressed - all you need is the address of the start of the binary and its total length.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.