Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Makes me curious if the SD card speed plays a factor here at all. I saw Luigi's mansion had a loadscreen, so hopefully the cheap class 4 cards will be fast enough. If not, I don't mind shelling out 2 bucks more for a class 10 card.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If somebody already asked this, I did not read all the pages. So, will gateway also allow you to play regular ds games or not? Does anyone know?

No, it will not. The structure of the cart immitates a 3DS cart (if it's at all real, that is) and as such, it will only be compatible with 3DS games (and games only, until we learn how to sign 3DS binaries... if we'll learn how to do that at all).

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me curious if the SD card speed plays a factor here at all. I saw Luigi's mansion had a loadscreen, so hopefully the cheap class 4 cards will be fast enough. If not, I don't mind shelling out 2 bucks more for a class 10 card.

As far as the speed check goes, I don't know, but Neimod did say something interesting on IRC today. He said that unlike the DS, 3ds I/O speeds are actually slowerthan microSD. If that is the case, and there is a way for the card to regulate I/O speed to the correct spec at all times, maybe there is no way for the 3ds to single out a flashcard with speed checks. (Pure speculation, btw)
class 10 might not be necessary

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, it will not. The structure of the cart immitates a 3DS cart (if it's at all real, that is) and as such, it will only be compatible with 3DS games (and games only, until we learn how to sign 3DS binaries... if we'll learn how to do that at all).
i don't see how it could be faked. the video was extremely convincing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think I/O speeds will be a factor when detecting flashcarts because they constantly fluctuate - loading times shrink as new firmware is released because the inner workings of the system are being polished. You cannot use a value that fluctuates to determine something - it has to be a set-in-stone factor. Sure, if the flashcart will work insanely fast, it can be a dead-on give-away, but still, it's the system that determines the read speed, not the SD as the system asks for data to be sent, not the other way around.
i don't see how it could be faked. the video was extremely convincing.
It is extremely convincing, yes, but we should be "fully convinced" once samples are reviewed by credible sources. You never know - Crown3DS caused quite a stir too and that went nowhere in the end. ;)

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@natkoden, if I am interpreting your post correctly:

I can tell you right now that they know just as much as we do. The product listing is merely a placeholder which in some unfortunate cases is used to get people to throw down money. By any means it is not sold out. DSFlashcart did email me back and told me they would hopefully receive units mid June-ish.

I am in touch with a lot of the retailers right now and they are in the dark as well, unfortunately. :( Gateway has reached out to a few of them, informing them of the mid-June estimate.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I just posted it to let everyone know that they added two more resellers in the US and another one in Japan.

I wasn't trying to prove that this was real or anything. I'm as skeptical as you guys.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just posted it to let everyone know that they added two more resellers in the US and another one in Japan.

I wasn't trying to prove that this was real or anything. I'm as skeptical as you guys.
I'm going to agree with you on this one - resellers don't mean squat when we don't have information from reliable sources confirming that the product is real and indeed works. I remember there was a time when resellers asked for big bucks for pre-orders of the Crown3DS... and we know what happened with Crown3DS. :P

Reactions: Unagi

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i highly doubt it, users of such devices are so trivial in numbers it makes zero difference, wii was the most modded system ever and still modded wii users only account for about 1% of the entire installed user base , and by looking at the number of youtube hit the gateway demo video has and the number of dislikes opposed to likes then id say this thing will not even come anywhere close to users of wii hacks and loaders ,so nowhere close to even 1/2 a percent of all 3ds users will even get this ,

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is an email from Gateway, as the card will be released in the second half of june.

gateway.jpg

Please do not go off topic

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is common knowledge derrived from laws concerning private property. If you own something, you just own it. You have to distinguish between goods, which is something you buy and own and services which is something you participate in for a fee or for free like in the case of PSN. Terms of Use are not law, Nintendo can do whatever they feel like with them and they can ban you from their service if you break it, but they cannot infringe upon your private property, that being the system itself - I can't see how this is hard to understand. Your private property is protected by law, nobody can infringe upon it. Services you participate in are not private property because they're not a "good" - you have to follow their rules board to participate.

Allow me to quote here:

The above statement applies to Europe only, but other countries have equivalent law and it's pretty much universal. Unless your possession is in any way a danger to the state, nobody will strip you from it or in any way infringe upon it as said person or company would be in breach of international law and that's bad news.

This is why companies can ban you, but they can't knock on your door and take away your system which you bought, nor can they cripple its functionality - all they can do is prevent you from using services associated with it as they are not a tangible part of the system.

for now anyways , there is no law ,there are no governments, only corporate power, and public resistance, they will try to get away with what ever they can get away with
if people in poland and other countries didnt come out and protest ACTA it would be in effect right now, if people didnt protest SOPA the way they did it would be in effect right now ,they will push the envelope as far as you will let them get away with , dont count on laws and and government to protect you, they only are there to work against you ,they are all bought
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05...gress-make-it-legal-for-us-to-deploy-rootkits

Reactions: opal

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So not reading through every post, I wanted to ask. IF this turns out to be real, Will it help out the hacking community as a tool at least? I personally dont see myself buying one if it can only hold one game per sd card.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
So not reading through every post, I wanted to ask. IF this turns out to be real, Will it help out the hacking community as a tool at least? I personally dont see myself buying one if it can only hold one game per sd card.

Based on current information about it, no.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
I

I don't get why this bother people a 2gb microsd is like 5 bucks a 3ds game is usually 40 that's 8 cards u can get for the the price of one game ;)

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to agree with you on this one - resellers don't mean squat when we don't have information from reliable sources confirming that the product is real and indeed works. I remember there was a time when resellers asked for big bucks for pre-orders of the Crown3DS... and we know what happened with Crown3DS. :P

Which is why I'm paranoid about it as well because what proof do I have that this is actually real? A lot of $ could be lost if fake but i spoke woth one of my reliable suppliers and he said it is real but other products are on the works too and something better will come out with time.

anyhow I finally got an answer back and I will be getting a "proforma" around Wednesday. So by then the prices would start fluctuating around... Not even the sales team know the price of the product yet.

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why I'm paranoid about it as well because what proof do I have that this is actually real? A lot of $ could be lost if fake but i spoke woth one of my reliable suppliers and he said it is real but other products are on the works too and something better will come out with time.

anyhow I finally got an answer back and I will be getting a "proforma" around Wednesday. So by then the prices would start fluctuating around... Not even the sales team know the price of the product yet.

Lol, so basically what I just said above. ;) I've seen some clueless friends get shafted when they dropped preorder money on a product that never came. :/

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is really true... REVENGE ON NINTENDO.

I kinda by impulse bought the 3DS ,and regret it for so much time.

Only have a single game "Resident Evil Revelations" and it cost me 60€ with 2nd analog stick (50€ is the normal game price here in Portugal).

I'm bloody tired of their gaming prices.

Even a crappy little 2D game here cost from 35 to 50€. And like a gameboy 1 black and white game from the 80's cost like 6€ each for download.

Even in the 90's I could buy a cassette with like 50 games in it for like 20€ (and included some that nintendo is selling at 6€ each).

Even on E-bay used games look expensive to me, like around 25€+shipping each, and some are just simple 2D games (usually most are from US and full price gets around 40€ with the shipping).

I guess Portable console games are being sold at the price of X360 and PS3 games (some people seem to have no sense in selling a little 2D game for the price of a game that cost 100 million $ to make like GTA, and has crazy textures+technology in them that aren't meant for portability).

ps: My 3DS is OFF inside my drawer for more than a year, and I can't buy those EXPENSIVE games, since I can buy brand new games for the PC like BF3 for 16€, Ravaged for 3.99€
Keep Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: