Hacking Gateway 3DS Firmware v2.0 - New UI and More!

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it would be possible to nand backup above 4.5 with this. I know it would not play games, but for those of us without a 4.5 device wanting to do this in prep for the future.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just wondering... how in the world are you gonna backup a 3ds game if you're already using the game slot with the blue flash card? i suppose that is gonna be stored in the SD but how? and why do you need a 3ds nand backup? and more important if this is gonna be compatible with 5.0 and forth?

Because it is a 3ds homebrew app that is probably run after clicking ds profile in the settings menu. I say this because the top screen is not cropped like a ds game/homebrew would be.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im going to have to say congrats to the Gateway team, they finally gave me what I wanted, a way actually back up my own games :) Plus, this is all homebrew, they're making some progress, hopefully we can stop relying on the cart after the exploit is installed on the 3DS in the years to come. If only I knew how to get my 3DS downgraded from 6.X (of course... Ill probably be getting pokemon X, so maybe not :D ). I wonder if the pokemon games will be shipped with a new update that has the MSET hack fixed... :/

Reactions: digipokemaster

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Im going to have to say congrats to the Gateway team, they finally gave me what I wanted, a way actually back up my own games :) Plus, this is all homebrew, they're making some progress, hopefully we can stop relying on the cart after the exploit is installed on the 3DS in the years to come. If only I knew how to get my 3DS downgraded from 6.X (of course... Ill probably be getting pokemon X, so maybe not :D ). I wonder if the pokemon games will be shipped with a new update that has the MSET hack fixed... :/

They'll most likely pull something like that, I mean it is the most anticipated 3DS game since it's release.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I suspect it doesn't if i read the post from snailface, no forced update past 6.3 sounds like no forced update at all.
A trusted source said X/Y's firmware is 6.1. It would be impossible for the firmware to be 6.3 or above anyway because its so new.

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant I have a firmware of 5.0 something atm which I have held off updating in case they break it but not 6.0, so this will force me to update to 6.3/6.1 if I were wanting to play Pokemon?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I meant I have a firmware of 5.0 something atm which I have held off updating in case they break it but not 6.0, so this will force me to update to 6.3/6.1 if I were wanting to play Pokemon?
It will update you to 6.1 only, not 6.3.

Version 6.0+ introduced improved savegame security (and maybe more), but at least 6.1 leaves mset hax intact.

I would hold off updating for a couple of weeks; at least to see what gateways "part 2" is.

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, we still have to wait :'3 so sad but it's ok :yaynds: I hope it will support MH4, PKM, AC; support multi load, i really want to play many games on my micro SD.

piktaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of the time, with things like this, you get an interface that would be similar to loading up the program, and then following a series of commands given on screen, such as removing the gateway and then inserting the actual retail cartridge.

Any chance of a new function which could write dumped backup back to other legit 3DS cart and then run it on non-gateway 3DS? Is it too futuristic or perhaps.. :) Just an idea, sorry for off-topic.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of a new function which could write dumped backup back to other legit 3DS cart and then run it on non-gateway 3DS? Is it too futuristic or perhaps.. :) Just an idea, sorry for off-topic.

I was purely speculating, but I saw instances like what I mentioned in my response, with DS chips. It's sort of how you rip a save off of a retail cartridge.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've never heard of the ability to write data to a retail cart, so it'll most likely remain an idea.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's physically impossible.

They're called ROMs for a reason - read only memory. The part of the cartridge that holds the game cannot be reprogrammed once it's been programmed already.

Saves are stored in RAM, which is writable. So the only thing you could hope to do is backup/restore saves, which you can already do using the multiple USB save dongles out there.

Reactions: kyogre123

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Kinda cool, but what a mess it would be. And I would weight 500 pounds with all my screw ups...