Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If a game doesn't work with the GBC Bios on, it doesn't work on a real gameboy. If it's just that game that doesn't work, I'd think that you have a bad rom. You can confirm this by trying it with the bios in another emulator - say, bgb. Or just try to find another rom.

This may seem random, but I was bored, so GameYob now supports GBS playback. Someone requested that months ago.

Though doesn't the GBC bios verify the ROM checksum (just like the Genesis/Megadrive) which will prevent most romhacks and homebrew roms (like Ultima 3) from working correctly unless you manually "fix" the checksum?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Though doesn't the GBC bios verify the ROM checksum (just like the Genesis/Megadrive) which will prevent most romhacks and homebrew roms (like Ultima 3) from working correctly unless you manually "fix" the checksum?

That's what I'm saying. Romhacks worth their salt should fix the checksums, but some don't, and thus they don't get past the bios. What I mean by a "bad rom" is a rom which is a hack or which is incorrectly dumped.

To be technical about it, there are 2 checksums. The gameboy only cares about the header checksum. The rom checksum doesn't really matter.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I'm saying. Romhacks worth their salt should fix the checksums, but some don't, and thus they don't get past the bios. What I mean by a "bad rom" is a rom which is a hack or which is incorrectly dumped.

To be technical about it, there are 2 checksums. The gameboy only cares about the header checksum. The rom checksum doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I figured that. I know Gens has an option to automatically fix the checksum because it was a huge problem with Genesis romhacks. Oh, and have there been any major changes/improvements in the unstable build recently?

Pokeguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew exactly what was wrong by just seeing the filesize. Borders need to be in 16-bit color, RGB 555. Yours is 24-bit, RGB 888. Here's a RGB 555 version of your file, which should work.
Would be better for him to generate the img all over again though, since this one's colors are distorted

Pokeguy, try not using Paint to save it, to avoid too much compression on colors.. ..if you cant do otherwise, post the original img here so someone can save it properly

Wow, its been quite a while since I asked for help. I was finally able to see this, and now have my border working. Thanks.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some sounds don't seem to play in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. For example, the sound of a charging up doesn't seem to work and hitting an enemy with a spin strike doesn't make the right sound.

I will stick with Lameboy for now until this is resolved. Otherwise this is much better than lameboy :)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some sounds don't seem to play in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. For example, the sound of a charging up doesn't seem to work and hitting an enemy with a spin strike doesn't make the right sound.

I will stick with Lameboy for now until this is resolved. Otherwise this is much better than lameboy :)

"Sound Timing Fix" should be enabled. Are you playing with 0.4.1, or the latest build? There've been improvements to audio in newer builds.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Sound Timing Fix" should be enabled. Are you playing with 0.4.1, or the latest build? There've been improvements to audio in newer builds.

Some issue I've had while testing TLOZ: Oracle of Ages :
-For some reason, when disabling the sound in the options, the game is completely frozen.
Reopening the menu and reactivating the sound makes it possible to move again.
This also happens at some points in cinematics, but not immediately. Again, reactivate the sound and the cinematic goes on.

I've also had problem with the slash sound, and the sound when cutting grass, which weren't played after first launching, but after restarting everything, I haven't been able to reproduce it again.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some issue I've had while testing TLOZ: Oracle of Ages :
-For some reason, when disabling the sound in the options, the game is completely frozen.
Reopening the menu and reactivating the sound makes it possible to move again.
This also happens at some points in cinematics, but not immediately. Again, reactivate the sound and the cinematic goes on.

I've also had problem with the slash sound, and the sound when cutting grass, which weren't played after first launching, but after restarting everything, I haven't been able to reproduce it again.
Disabling sound disables all aspects of sound emulation. The oracle games are expecting a certain output from the sound registers, but since sound is disabled, these registers are incorrect. Which causes the game to freeze. That's why I left it under the "debug" section. Though I can't explain why the slashing sounds didn't work.
(Disabling individual channels, on the other hand, just mutes them.)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That actually sounds an awful lot like how things worked on SNES Advance and Snezziboy (the SNES emulators for the GBA). You see, SNES Advance (and Snezziboy) did not have the power to emulate the sound core, not with the GBA's measly 16 Mhz processor, so it simply did not emulate it. However, many SNES games would often poll the sound engine and freeze if there was no response. As a result, about half of the patches in the snesadvance.dat patch file are there simply to overwrite certain commands with the "no operation" command, so that the games never reach out to the sound engine at all and thus can't freeze from lack of response. (the other half are speedhacks to make the games run faster)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes well, development will probably be slowing down, as I'll be moving for university in a week. I imagine I won't have as much spare time as I used to. Of course, contributions are still welcome. It's been a while since anyone made a pull request.
That actually sounds an awful lot like how things worked on SNES Advance and Snezziboy (the SNES emulators for the GBA). You see, SNES Advance (and Snezziboy) did not have the power to emulate the sound core, not with the GBA's measly 16 Mhz processor, so it simply did not emulate it. However, many SNES games would often poll the sound engine and freeze if there was no response. As a result, about half of the patches in the snesadvance.dat patch file are there simply to overwrite certain commands with the "no operation" command, so that the games never reach out to the sound engine at all and thus can't freeze from lack of response. (the other half are speedhacks to make the games run faster)
The snes has a separate processor for sound doesn't it? I see how that would be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol