Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

PinkRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Love to see sound is emulated much more accurately compared to LameBoy! (which was excellent too in many regards)

Just out of perfectionism: I can't point it precisely, but there may be a slight channel dissonance. It can be noticed in Pop-Up's main theme, when both channel 2 and 3 are playing the same notes over the beginning of the song. It could also be related to the different effects applied to each channel (one has modulation, I believe). Tried it in BGB/VBA M, and the game seems in tune. Thanks!

Edit: Did some more testing, it's also noticeable in DKC map theme, bass (ch. 3) is slightly dissonant

sverx

a DS homebrewer
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
adshomebrewersdiary.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Italy
As far as I can tell it's actually a fifo overflow or something. It still kind of functions after the crash but a bunch of things don't work, like X and Y buttons, [...]

Yes, if X & Y stop working while other buttons are still OK it's either FIFO (I hope you're using latest dkA/libnds because there was a nasty bug in FIFO a while ago...) or ARM7 code that crashed. Try closing the lid almost completely... does it go in sleep mode?

mat128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The emulator is excellent, ran every game I threw at it flawlessly.

Though, how hard would it be to make it so .sav files were saved in .srm instead since Retroarch refuses to support .sav and being able to use the same SD in both the DS and Wii to play the same games on a portable or on the big screen would be amazing.

Just a suggestion.

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Drenn, here's a suggestion.
What if you added a walkthrough viewer? Have it open a txt file with the same name as they current ROM file, showing it on the screen that isn't displaying the game? It could be turned off from the menu, scrolled with the touch screen and your place saved in the save state. Could it be added?

King Boo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, nice job with your emulator, I tested it this afternoon, it runs all the roms normally, except Keitai Denjuu Telefang Power Version, when you load the rom, the sound won't play. Can you fix that, please? I'm interested in playing the whole game on my nds, Lameboy causes a glitch that make the game freeze in a certain part of the game and this emulator is my last hope.

Edited: Good trick Drenn, THANKS! :yaywii:

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, nice job with your emulator, I tested it this afternoon, it runs all the roms normally, except Keitai Denjuu Telefang Power Version, when you load the rom, the sound won't play. Can you fix that, please? I'm interested in playing the whole game on my nds, Lameboy causes a glitch that make the game freeze in a certain part of the game and this emulator is my last hope.

Are you using version 0.3 or the latest snapshot? If you're using 0.3, try the snapshot, and vice-versa.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The audio on the titlescreen breaks all sound, even in other games, until you exit the emulator and start it again. A workaround is to disable sound until getting past the titlescreen.

Reactions: King Boo

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, if X & Y stop working while other buttons are still OK it's either FIFO (I hope you're using latest dkA/libnds because there was a nasty bug in FIFO a while ago...) or ARM7 code that crashed. Try closing the lid almost completely... does it go in sleep mode?

No sleep mode doesn't work either when this happens. But I'm pretty sure that arm7 itself is still alive. Sound code is half-done using shared memory, and some of that is still getting through, allowing for limited sound even after the crash.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I mean like Lameboy where it stretches the image (of gameboy games) past the native resolution (since it's so small).
Newer builds have this feature... but I think they also have a problem with fast forwarding causing crashes... so you might want to wait.

sverx

a DS homebrewer
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
adshomebrewersdiary.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Italy
No sleep mode doesn't work either when this happens. But I'm pretty sure that arm7 itself is still alive. Sound code is half-done using shared memory, and some of that is still getting through, allowing for limited sound even after the crash.

So looks like it's FIFO. There was a bug, patched with dkP ver 1.4.7 (IIRC). Are you using an older version?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got the emulator to crash, and I got it to happen successfully a second time. Here is the error screen:

-snip-

It happened when I loaded up Pokemon Yellow (Which runs beautifully by the way) and then changed the game to TMNT: Back From The Sewers.gb and It crashed to this screen. The emulator refuses to load the TMNT game at all on it's own, just showing a white screen instead of playing. Can this issue be fixed?

I just got around to testing this, and TMNT seems to run fine. It worked both in 0.3 and with my newest build, so expect it to work correctly in 0.4, I guess.

axhernandez12

Trophies
Website
wii.spiffy360.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you think there's a way to edit the cheat file for games through the DS? I'm thinking about the Gameshark, how you just scrolled through the alpha numbers and saved them before you played. I just don't want to have to hook up to the computer every time I want to edit a cheat. Possibility?

prosty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Uh, simple question. I haven't found any option like that in menu, but perhaps it can be done - can I turn off my screen on ds classic and play the games? I can't quite do that from acekard menu, nor from gameyob menu too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU