Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

axhernandez12

Trophies
Website
wii.spiffy360.com
XP
Country
United States
One thing I noticed while playing Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 is that half of the sound isn't working. I've tried switching the sound channels a bit, and checked on some other emulators to make sure my DS Lite speakers weren't broken. I haven't checked any other games yet, 'cause I just keep turning the sound off and playing.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One thing I noticed while playing Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 is that half of the sound isn't working. I've tried switching the sound channels a bit, and checked on some other emulators to make sure my DS Lite speakers weren't broken. I haven't checked any other games yet, 'cause I just keep turning the sound off and playing.

I noticed this in DW3. It happened a long time ago, sometime between .2 and .3.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering... would it be possible to implement a cheat search engine like in nesds so one could create his own cheats?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering... would it be possible to implement a cheat search engine like in nesds so one could create his own cheats?

No, use a pc emulator for that. It would seem redundant since emulators like bgb have excellent facilities for this sort of thing. I couldn't make anything comparable to that on a ds.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country

Look for Visual Boy Advance. It has a cheat function and a memory viewer - so if you know what you're editing, you can go into the memory and do it directly.

overdriver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to thank you to make this emulator. I played original Donkey Kong and This is only one of two emulator that actually play sound of girl's screaming. other emulator is gbc.emu on android. all other emulators including Lameboy do not play that sound.
good job..!

This is almost perfect except screen zoom/scale :)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to thank you to make this emulator. I played original Donkey Kong and This is only one of two emulator that actually play sound of girl's screaming. other emulator is gbc.emu on android. all other emulators including Lameboy do not play that sound.
good job..!

This is almost perfect except screen zoom/scale :)

Most emulators do emulate the scream properly, including Lameboy, but not in Super Gameboy mode. The next release will have super gameboy mode, so you'll need to disable it to hear the scream.

Now, in case anyone is wondering. I probably would have released 0.4 right now if it wasn't for this random crashing issue related to audio. It's really hard to debug. I was playing kaizo Pokemon Blue for 20 or 30 minutes and only then did it crash on me. As far as I can tell it's actually a fifo overflow or something. It still kind of functions after the crash but a bunch of things don't work, like X and Y buttons, the bottom screen's backlight, and other things. I lost my progress because I couldn't find the "save & exit" option.

Reactions: Geren

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks I tested a lot of roms that I had in original carts, and all are perfect, the colors was like the orignal game boy, gba color, also the gb mono was with the original colos like is in gbc and gba.

I am also glad that kyrbi have color XD, and also the game Batman The Animated Series who never worked in lameboy works great in the latest unstable build of GameYob.
Can you add the function of fast backward ??
Since I put the gbc and gbpocket bios in the roms and emulators directory I dont know where is the exactly folder to put it, should I put the bios in emulator or roms folder??

Its recommended to put the emulator in the main root of the sd card, or its safe to put and run the emulator in another folder?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks I tested a lot of roms that I had in original carts, and all are perfect, the colors was like the orignal game boy, gba color, also the gb mono was with the original colos like is in gbc and gba.

I am also glad that kyrbi have color XD, and also the game Batman The Animated Series who never worked in lameboy works great in the latest unstable build of GameYob.
Can you add the function of fast backward ??
Since I put the gbc and gbpocket bios in the roms and emulators directory I dont know where is the exactly folder to put it, should I put the bios in emulator or roms folder??

Its recommended to put the emulator in the main root of the sd card, or its safe to put and run the emulator in another folder?

I don't have a solid directory structure set up yet. gameyob.ini must be in the root directory. You can put the bios with your roms, or you can specify its location in gameyob.ini. But only the gameboy color bios is recognized.

Rewinding is a big "maybe".

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Would you consider adding GBA bios recognition to GameYob? I'm just thinking about games like Oracle of Seasons and Ages where you could only get into certain areas if you were playing on a GBA.
Doesn't need the GBA BIOS, and the setting is in there already, GBC on GBA or whatever it's called.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have a solid directory structure set up yet. gameyob.ini must be in the root directory. You can put the bios with your roms, or you can specify its location in gameyob.ini. But only the gameboy color bios is recognized.

Rewinding is a big "maybe".

I didn't know about directory, was just a noob question because some homebrews its better, or only workscorrectly when is in the root directory:wacko:.
Thanks now I understand that its better to put the emulator in the root directory and only gbc bios in the roms directory.

I always run the emulator with full screen aspect:nds: and I am very happy that you put this function on the gameyob:nds::bow:, I remember before I got the gba sp when I always get bored due the small size of gbc screen and I had to use screen magnifier
enhanced-buzz-31952-1335557462-3.jpg

Now at least I can play any GBC-GB:gba: games with the full screen of DSi XL.:nds::bow:.
All games that I played worked great with the full screen scale, only Resident Eevil Gaiden have some issues when have the animation of the text dialogue, the text do similar of move with the rhythm of the music.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I got the emulator to crash, and I got it to happen successfully a second time. Here is the error screen:

W0GcLpM.jpg

It happened when I loaded up Pokemon Yellow (Which runs beautifully by the way) and then changed the game to TMNT: Back From The Sewers.gb and It crashed to this screen. The emulator refuses to load the TMNT game at all on it's own, just showing a white screen instead of playing. Can this issue be fixed?

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, use a pc emulator for that. It would seem redundant since emulators like bgb have excellent facilities for this sort of thing. I couldn't make anything comparable to that on a ds.
Could you at least make it to where you could edit the code and description while in the emulator?

Reactions: LWares87

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 tell uremum to start charging, then you keep the money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I charge your wife rent at this point
    +1
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Good good let your hate flow through you!!! +2