Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There's a shop in a Zelda game that's only accessible if you put your Game Boy Color cartridge into a Game Boy Advance. MarkDarkness believes that the GBC BIOS could be slightly different on a GBA.

That cartridge is not a GBA title, though. It's a GBC one.
Shantae has also a GBA exclusive transformation.

I didn't actually know that

Are you sure its not the reverse Nebuleon? Instead of a slightly modded bios with a GBA flag of some sort, that the game itself checks for GBA Hardware or serial?

Check Hardware= CGB-001 Run GBC Mode
or
Check Hardware= AGB-001 Run GBA Mode

Though I would more suspect it would check for the presence of the AGP CPU

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Many thanks Nebuleon for your clarification.
I believe that there're something similar using some GBA games on NDS, may it be certain?

Edit: I think was pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Pokémon: GBA Insertion | Exclusive Pokemon for fans with GBA games. But i don't know if are the ds games checking slot2 or inversely.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBA mode should be easy to do. My only concern is that people will see it and wonder why their GBA roms don't work!

Ya I noticed it stopped occasionally but wasn't sure if its because its inverted when it vibrates or what since I never owned Pokemon Pinball I don't know when its supposed to vibrate
Dropbox has a new build which, in theory, should do the opposite of what it's doing now, so hopefully the rumble is no longer reversed.

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure its not the reverse Nebuleon? Instead of a slightly modded bios with a GBA flag of some sort, that the game itself checks for GBA Hardware or serial?

Check Hardware= CGB-001 Run GBC Mode
or
Check Hardware= AGB-001 Run GBA Mode

Though I would more suspect it would check for the presence of the AGP CPU

The GBA has a modified GBC bootstrap in it that sets the lowest bit of one of the registers(B) to 1. Games check that bit to see if they're running on a GBA. They can't access the GBA BIOS or CPU, or anything like that.

Here's a build that has "GBA mode":
http://filesmelt.com/dl/gameyob_gbadetection.zip

Modified source included.

Should definitely think of something else to call it though. "GBA mode" will confuse people.

Reactions: Rydian

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
GBA mode should be easy to do. My only concern is that people will see it and wonder why their GBA roms don't work!

Dropbox has a new build which, in theory, should do the opposite of what it's doing now, so hopefully the rumble is no longer reversed.

I'll check it out...

Nope just makes both my 3in1 and normal rumble pack go crazy

Just to verify latest dropbox build is 0.3-19-g6a15

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
theres no way to just make the gba enhancement thing automatic, is it?

would it make a difference if it just was just always on?
...i guess it could be problematic with SGB support though.

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
theres no way to just make the gba enhancement thing automatic, is it?

would it make a difference if it just was just always on?
...i guess it could be problematic with SGB support though.

The games I know of that detect being played on the GBA use brighter palettes to compensate for the different screen.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/qRMeX41.png

I personally wouldn't like that enabled all the time.

Reactions: Rydian

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested, here's some info I found about 'GBA Enhanced' Shantae content.

When you start up the game, the title screen will say "GBA Enhanced!" in the bottom-left corner if the game recognizes the system properly. This changes the palette for the game slightly, and also an NPC in Bandit Town will now offer to tell you a secret for 500 gems. If you enter the "Advanced Genies!" building and pay up, you'll unlock a new dance, which can be performed by pressing Down, Up, Up. The dance allows you to play as a Tinkerbat. In addition to a sabre attack with a decent range, the Tinkerbat can run, jump, and climb walls like the monkey; charge foward like the elephant (by holding down and pressing B); and climb walls like the spider.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the awesome emulator! It's the only emulator that has properly emulated pokemon brown. Even VBA doesn't emulate It properly. I really wish he would fix the patch so I can play it on real hardware.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm was testing the last two versions again with rumble and it's not inverted like I said it's constant. Mistake on my part. I hope this clarification helps pinpoint the problem

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm was testing the last two versions again with rumble and it's not inverted like I said it's constant. Mistake on my part. I hope this clarification helps pinpoint the problem
It just vibrates constantly on you too even if you turn off vibrate in the Game's main menu and the only way you can stop it is disabling it in the emulator too?

The only times it would stop for me is if it changed screens or something

lemonmeister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just vibrates constantly on you too even if you turn off vibrate in the Game's main menu and the only way you can stop it is disabling it in the emulator too?

The only times it would stop for me is if it changed screens or something

Meh, try this build. I finally found some documentation, should work now :)
Let me know

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The GBA has a modified GBC bootstrap in it that sets the lowest bit of one of the registers(B) to 1. Games check that bit to see if they're running on a GBA. They can't access the GBA BIOS or CPU, or anything like that.

Here's a build that has "GBA mode":
http://filesmelt.com/dl/gameyob_gbadetection.zip

Modified source included.

Should definitely think of something else to call it though. "GBA mode" will confuse people.
I've integrated this, while also making other selectable gameboy modes, so you can play dual-mode games in DMG mode. Also console.cpp should be more readable now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the awesome emulator! It's the only emulator that has properly emulated pokemon brown. Even VBA doesn't emulate It properly. I really wish he would fix the patch so I can play it on real hardware.
Not that I like being the downer here, but if the patch doesn't work on real hardware, then any emulator it works on is going to be an inaccurate one, as accurate ones shouldn't play it.

This was a big issue back when people were making their ROM hacks for ZSNES and such, but now that SNES9X and others have replaced it in the hacking scene...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Bad dragon +1