Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then I have no ideas. That was a neat trick, btw. I wasn't expecting that. I did figure out how to get the color feature on while SGB mode was on. Hadn't realized that was a particular hack.

Neat.
Yeah, that's a hack that's used by all the GBC emulators for the GBA and DS (in that I mean the short list of Goomba Color and Lameboy and obviously this one as well). A game I like to use for testing is Azure Dreams. It's a black "dual mode" cartridge that can be run on the GB (and thus the SGB) in 4-color mode with its own SGB border, or it can be run on a GBC for more colors. Before the emulators added the feature, I would have to either choose to have the border or the good colors but not both. It's a neat hack, indeed.

Zoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, first of all sorry for my english and thank you for your great emulator.

I have an issue with gameyob, I can run almost all my Game Boy Color ROMs but with my Game Boy ROMs I have problems.
You can download them and test it to fix the bugs. Both ROMs works fine in lameboy.

Bombjack - Loads music and the title text but I can't start it.
Metroid 2: Return of Samus - Blackscreen when I load it.

I didn't test it yet on my others Game Boy ROMs, if I do I'll edit this post to help you.
Thank you again ^^

EDIT: By the way gameyob DSTwo plugin from gbatemp wiki is corrupted and doesn't works. I made my own using the following: (gameyob.bmp is the lameboy plugin icon)
Code:
[plug setting]
icon=fat1:/_dstwoplug/gameyob.bmp
name=GAME BOY
I don't know if it is causing my issues but I don't think so.

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm having some save issues with Gameyob. On games that has saves like Kirby's Dreamland 2, Metroid 2: Return of Samus, Donkey Kong Country, Metal Gear Solid, etc. sometimes it doesn't save properly. On Kirby 2, I beat the game with the real ending getting over 90% complete but when I completely shut off the DS Lite and load Gameyob and then the rom, it somehow went back to a save file of 50% of the game completed without beating the game. To save the game on Kirby 2, you reset the game to save. With Donkey Kong (automatically save when you beat the level) and Metal Gear Solid (Mei Ling saves) it stayed halfway in the game saved until I beat the game and somehow got the completed save file. Bit Kirby 2 refuse to save after over 90% completed.

My Savestates of the emulator works perfectly fine. But the save within the Gameboy/Gameboy Color games isn't saving properly. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I'm having some save issues with Gameyob. On games that has saves like Kirby's Dreamland 2, Metroid 2: Return of Samus, Donkey Kong Country, Metal Gear Solid, etc. sometimes it doesn't save properly. On Kirby 2, I beat the game with the real ending getting over 90% complete but when I completely shut off the DS Lite and load Gameyob and then the rom, it somehow went back to a save file of 50% of the game completed without beating the game. To save the game on Kirby 2, you reset the game to save. With Donkey Kong (automatically save when you beat the level) and Metal Gear Solid (Mei Ling saves) it stayed halfway in the game saved until I beat the game and somehow got the completed save file. Bit Kirby 2 refuse to save after over 90% completed.

My Savestates of the emulator works perfectly fine. But the save within the Gameboy/Gameboy Color games isn't saving properly. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

I can confirm this.
The same thing has happened with me so far with Kirby Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land 2, Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Yellow.

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this.
The same thing has happened with me so far with Kirby Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land 2, Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Yellow.

You have this issue too I see. The ones that saved properly for me was Bionic Commando: Elite Forces, R-Type DX, Super Mario Bros. DX, Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons, etc.

But Kirby Dreamland 2 refuses to save properly. It was a pain getting those 7 Rainbow Drops to get the real ending (well the last couple of ones in later stages was a pain). Save file is stuck as if I never got any rainbow drop. Only thing I have is the Savestate with the last boss battle and the real ending.

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirby's Dream Land 2 finally saved. I was experimenting with some of Gameyob settings and what seems to work I think is turning off "SGB Borders" and saving the settings. I only have two roms that has the SBG border which is Kirby 2 and Megaman 5. After turning off SBG Borders, I went back to the savestate of the last boss battle and after the credits, I saved. I saved it continuously after that in different stages like 7 times. After turning off the DS and turned it back on and rebooting the flashcart, my save now says 93% complete instead of 50% complete.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kirby's Dream Land 2 finally saved. I was experimenting with some of Gameyob settings and what seems to work I think is turning off "SGB Borders" and saving the settings. I only have two roms that has the SBG border which is Kirby 2 and Megaman 5. After turning off SBG Borders, I went back to the savestate of the last boss battle and after the credits, I saved. I saved it continuously after that in different stages like 7 times. After turning off the DS and turned it back on and rebooting the flashcart, my save now says 93% complete instead of 50% complete.

That's... interesting. I would have thought it was a problem with autosaving, as others have reported.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Interesting, i had SGB borders ON too.
I am not home, but will certainly try to disable SGB borders once I get home to see if the autosave works properly.

One other thing... Could you share the Kirby Dream Land 2 save you have?

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's... interesting. I would have thought it was a problem with autosaving, as others have reported.

My autosaving was always off. I think it was like that by default. Maybe it's a hunch but I have a specific border for playing all my game boy & game boy color games saved. But for roms with specific SBG borders like Kirby's Dream Land 2, it would automatically use the Kirby 2 border when I boot up the rom which I found a bit annoying until I finally figured it out how to disable it. Maybe the autoborder switch was interfering the saves?

But games like Metal Gear Solid, Metroid 2: Return of Samus and others, the roms I have doesn't have any specific SBG Border and I still have some save issues with those sometimes. Although saving it continuously seems to get it to work most of the time.

SunRisesInTheEas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

thanks for your awesome work. Brings back a lot of good memories.

One thing though: SRAM Autosave (Highscores in Tetris DX) does not work in my R4DS, only on my Acekard 2i.

I tried different kernels (official / wood) but I wasn't able to get autosaving to work on the R4DS.

Please fix in 0.6

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant seem to get this too work can someone post what the file paths are for what needs to be installed it shows up in homebrew launcher but fails to load and restarts the system

Jesha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to find gameyob.ini to edit, myself, or do I have to start this thing first? Either way, thank you so much.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cant seem to get this too work can someone post what the file paths are for what needs to be installed it shows up in homebrew launcher but fails to load and restarts the system

You're talking about the 3ds version? I know smea linked here but that kid of discussion for the 3ds version would be better over here. Anyway, I can't offer much support personally for ninjhax, I can't run it myself yet. Sorry :(

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't seem to find gameyob.ini to edit, myself, or do I have to start this thing first? Either way, thank you so much.

To generate gameyob.ini you'd start gameyob, and select "save settings" in the menu. Or you can start with a blank file.

Jesha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To generate gameyob.ini you'd start gameyob, and select "save settings" in the menu. Or you can start with a blank file.

D'oh! The card reader on my laptop's busted and I didn't want to have to go across the house to get it and plop it back in my 3DS because laaaaazyyyy.
Do you happen to know what the default directory is for roms? Thank you so much (on behalf of myself and the Oracles of Ages/Seasons)

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
D'oh! The card reader on my laptop's busted and I didn't want to have to go across the house to get it and plop it back in my 3DS because laaaaazyyyy.
Do you happen to know what the default directory is for roms? Thank you so much (on behalf of myself and the Oracles of Ages/Seasons)

it's the "/gb" directory for the 3ds version.

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Having every channel is fun lol
  • D @ diamondsofmayhem:
    Actually, finally found someone who was looking for the same thing. https://gbatemp.net/threads/lost-hyrule-warriors-legends-v1-6-0-ntr-plugin.628141/ to no avail.
  • D @ diamondsofmayhem:
    well, sorry for bugging yall with this.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sup nerds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sup dawg, watching old rap vids so feel like I gotta talk...Real
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not really just funny. I'm definitely a nerd!
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    Hi there, it's any way to recover original LFCS if I don't have a NAND backup?
    Bought second hand 3DS, it seems it was "unbanned" but that was before I bought it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got these in today for $20 stink buds they aren't that bad https://a.co/d/fOMSn8g
    +1
    @BigOnYa thanks but my question isn't there
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ask your questions there, create a new thread if its not already answered, then eventually a 3ds genius will respond.
    I will, thanks
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive ones (one falls out and gone, can't find) while cutting grass so bought some cheap ones, and of course never lose these cheap ones. (Cheap meaning only $35, compared to air buds which I only have 1 of 2 now)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They need to add air tags to they airbuds..
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa the airtags are bigger than the airpods, they won't fit
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Be cool tech tho. Of course they want to lose them anyways. Buy and buy again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a holiday of it every year. (jk, maybe)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Crazy, the rich get away with this shit, and I can't shit without the poop police checking my asshole every time I shit, or if i have my toilet seatbelt on.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Crazy, the rich get away with this shit, and I can't shit without the poop police checking my...