Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated to the latest devkitARM and libctru in 1.0.8, along with fixing a minor issue.
A hero appeared that day, bearing Code as their weapon, wearing armor of Ice and riding a steed of Fire. Their name... was Steve.

Updating to new version now

EDIT: Getting bad "tapping/stuttering" Noise while playing games that I did not have before.

Last edited by Xenosaiga, , Reason: added information

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How about gameboy camera support?

A slightly old post but this definitely. Aside from a few incompatible games and the current sound stuttering according to the above user, this is something that should be considered next in GameYob since we have an output that could be used for emulating this. (Unless camera in homebrew is something we can't reach yet.)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A slightly old post but this definitely. Aside from a few incompatible games and the current sound stuttering according to the above user, this is something that should be considered next in GameYob since we have an output that could be used for emulating this. (Unless camera in homebrew is something we can't reach yet.)
Coding the converter for the input from the 3DS's camera and the hardware emulation would be a lot of work for a novelty feature. I imagine most people would just use it once for the fun of it, or for a bit of nostalgia, then probably never touch it again. I could be wrong, but it just seems like needless work to me.

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Coding the converter for the input from the 3DS's camera and the hardware emulation would be a lot of work for a novelty feature. I imagine most people would just use it once for the fun of it, or for a bit of nostalgia, then probably never touch it again. I could be wrong, but it just seems like needless work to me.

Maybe, but you could say the same of the 1-2 Gameboy games out there that utilises gyroscopic features. (Which admittedly I'm not sure if that's actually emulated on the GameYob or not but still.) (Turns out they are.)

Alternatively Link Cable features would be another good one but I assume people will wait until the Pokemon VC titles are out to reverse engineer that.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but you could say the same of the 1 Gameboy game out there that utilises gyroscopic features. (Which admittedly I'm not sure if that's actually emulated on the GameYob or not but still.)

Alternatively Link Cable features would be another good one but I assume people will wait until the Pokemon VC titles are out to reverse engineer that.
Not quite, if a game needs the gyro for controls, then the emulator would need it if it's to support all games. The Game Boy Camera, however, I'd consider a tool, a tool that is pretty well replaced by the 3DS's built in software. Either way, it's up to whoever wants to code it in, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up due to how much work would have to go into it and the lack of interest. Well, that's assuming not many are that interested beyond novelty.

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not quite, if a game needs the gyro for controls, then the emulator would need it if it's to support all games. The Game Boy Camera, however, I'd consider a tool, a tool that is pretty well replaced by the 3DS's built in software. Either way, it's up to whoever wants to code it in, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up due to how much work would have to go into it and the lack of interest. Well, that's assuming not many are that interested beyond novelty.

Had they ever put a filter in the 3DS Camera for Gameboy camera-like pictures you'd be right, but that's not the case. I agree that it's a novelty though. Anyway I'll leave it at that, there's a few things like link cable or the camera that *could* be put in next.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not getting any sound on the latest version, is sound a working functionality in this Emulator?
Yeah. Sound is there. I know it sounds stupid but turn your volume off and then back on. Try using headphones. Also try deleting the Gameyob config file in the root of your SD card.

Could have a bad rom even.

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Sound is there. I know it sounds stupid but turn your volume off and then back on. Try using headphones. Also try deleting the Gameyob config file in the root of your SD card.

Could have a bad rom even.

I booted it a second time just now and I was able to hear sound! I really didn't change much so who knows what I did to get it going.

Savegames are copied to the SD card when you exit to the file chooser, exit via the home menu, or exit via the power button. If you run out of power, or it crashes, you'll probably lose your progress.

So does the emulator save games by default because when I was going through the Emulator's menu it has the AutoSave function off. Do I have to save my game manually in-game?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I booted it a second time just now and I was able to hear sound! I really didn't change much so who knows what I did to get it going.

So does the emulator save games by default because when I was going through the Emulator's menu it has the AutoSave function off. Do I have to save my game manually in-game?
Autosaving seems to be a misleading name. One site even said that the feature automatically backs up save states which is blatantly not true. You still need to save in-game regardless of whether autosaving is on or off. Turning autosaving on will only help with unexpected poweroffs, it's mostly a relic from the ds version.

Reactions: Cloud9Skywalker

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First thanks for this great emulator. May I request a feature though, something along the lines of auto selecting the last used rom. It would not have to auto run it (although that would be a neat configurable option) but just have it selected so that people playing one game at a time don't have to always scroll through what could be a long list at every start.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the best GBC emulator on the 3DS (aside from Virtual Console)! Only needs DSP support now!
DSP support isn't the end all, be all some people are making it out to be. I'm not sure how much GameYob would really benefit from it, since the GBC isn't that intensive to emulate in the first place. Sure it would benefit from it, but I don't know if it would be enough to justify the work that would have to go into it.

Reactions: Xenosaiga

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSP support isn't the end all, be all some people are making it out to be. I'm not sure how much GameYob would really benefit from it, since the GBC isn't that intensive to emulate in the first place. Sure it would benefit from it, but I don't know if it would be enough to justify the work that would have to go into it.
Especially since DSP is also still sorta experimental.

The only issues I seem to have with Gameyob is sound though.

Sort of a repetitive tap tap tap tap tap sound.

Reactions: Ryuzaki_MrL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...