Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Don't want to be a thread necro but is this still being worked on or is the VC injection far too good in comparison? I remember using this on DS and being an extremely good emulator.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't want to be a thread necro but is this still being worked on or is the VC injection far too good in comparison? I remember using this on DS and being an extremely good emulator.
Yeah, it's a very good emulator for the 3DS as well, although I haven't heard from any update for a long time now :(

Reactions: Idaho

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well the emulator is in a good state at the moment, it surely could benefit from a few updates but my wonders are more concerned about NES and GBA, the wait for those is getting really intense ^^

D

Deleted User

As it is, it's fairly complete. A small number of games do have some issues, but a majority of games work fine. I do still have interest in GameYob, but I've been working on some other things. Plus, while I know the emulator and how it works pretty well by now, I'm still not all that great with figuring out weird game issues, which are most of what's left to fix.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
As it is, it's fairly complete. A small number of games do have some issues, but a majority of games work fine. I do still have interest in GameYob, but I've been working on some other things. Plus, while I know the emulator and how it works pretty well by now, I'm still not all that great with figuring out weird game issues, which are most of what's left to fix.
I believe in you, that you will fix those games! :)

Have you tried out the "contrast" adjustable version already? (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-3ds-gb-c-emu.372523/page-38#post-5517065 )

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe in you, that you will fix those games! :)

Have you tried out the "contrast" adjustable version already? (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-3ds-gb-c-emu.372523/page-38#post-5517065 )
Oh damn forgot about that. That was like a 10 minute hack. I definitely didn't do anything to make it look like the original GB. And it was fairly dirty cause I was trying to force a linear combination to do it. Codes ugly.

The emulator is pretty solid in my opinion. I haven't ran into a well known game bugging out.

You know there are still features that can be added. Pretty UI probably tops of the list, Thumbnails for games and save states, Rewind and even Customizable color palettes in game.
Useful features for Pokemon and the like would be running 2 emulators side by side to trade between your own games.

If you want to get to some serious advance ideas Support hi-res custom textures for tiles. Just take a quick hash of Tile data and associate it with new texture packs. I considered something like this to speed up rendering by caching the VRAM to the 3ds native pixel format, but optimizations proved more than sufficient.

Reactions: VinsCool

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh damn forgot about that. That was like a 10 minute hack. I definitely didn't do anything to make it look like the original GB. And it was fairly dirty cause I was trying to force a linear combination to do it. Codes ugly.

The emulator is pretty solid in my opinion. I haven't ran into a well known game bugging out.

You know there are still features that can be added. Pretty UI probably tops of the list, Thumbnails for games and save states, Rewind and even Customizable color palettes in game.
Useful features for Pokemon and the like would be running 2 emulators side by side to trade between your own games.

If you want to get to some serious advance ideas Support hi-res custom textures for tiles. Just take a quick hash of Tile data and associate it with new texture packs. I considered something like this to speed up rendering by caching the VRAM to the 3ds native pixel format, but optimizations proved more than sufficient.
What about making the contrast really work like on a real GameBoy? Should be possible right?

There are games like Alleyway and Volley Fire don't work properly.
Both have the same issue: objects that should move horizontal, are not moving at all....

Eye candy UI can always be added later on, I think we should focus on bug fixing first though...

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok last time I re-up this thread. Wanted to comment that I tried the emulator myself and it works like a charm on the games I have tried so far (Pokemon card 2 / Zelda awakening DX). I kind of feel that the Fast Forward option is a bit slower than I remember from the DS version but otherwise everything's perfect, in fact I'd rather use this than any VC custom games. Many thanks to those behind the development of this project :)

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
For me, even if development just stopped, it would be fine the way it is now....... But if it can be improved even better.... :)

tyrkiskpeber

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I couldn't find an answer, so I'll just come out and ask.
Where do I find gameyob.ini and where do I place it?
I'd like to be able to put games on my gateway sd card, what's the correct path for this? (I have a new 3ds)
Is this port better than the one on DS? I have a working R4 that I could use.

tyrkiskpeber

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh, I just assumed because of the op post:
"By default, it looks for roms in the /gb directory of your SD card (NOT gateway's microSD card)."
I'll make do with the internal sd card.
Would still like an explanation on the gameyob.ini file though.

D

Deleted User

Oh, I just assumed because of the op post:
"By default, it looks for roms in the /gb directory of your SD card (NOT gateway's microSD card)."
I'll make do with the internal sd card.
Would still like an explanation on the gameyob.ini file though.
gameyob.ini is automatically created by GameYob when you save your settings within the app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...