GameStop reverses decision to remain open, switches to a “delivery at the door” service

gamestop.jpg

Following the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, most stores and services halted their operations, except for essential services. GameStop, the video game retail store, deemed itself as essential retail and decided to remain open. However, it seems like this is about to change as a letter from the CEO, George Sherman, addressed to employees, and obtained by Kotaku, points out.

As of March 22nd, all of its US-based stores will temporarily close access to the public and transition to a “delivery at the door” service for those stores that still operate. Customers will be able to place orders from the GameStop app or by scanning QR codes at the door of stores. Their purchases can then be picked up curbside at the door of retail stores, after coordinating with the in-store team.

The company's CEO also wrote that eligible employees will be given 80 hours of extra paid time off, while those who aren't eligible will be offered two extra weeks of pay. Sherman also stressed that the company won't force employees to turn up for work if they don't feel comfortable doing so and that they should coordinate with their supervisors on this matter. “We respect that everyone has personal situations and preferences, so your decision will not impact your position with the company,” he added.

You can read the letter in its entirety in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tht just shut up the haters

How did that shut up the haters? Just because GameStop was eventually forced to do the right thing doesn’t absolve them for staying open despite all the experts and everyone else indicating they should close, exploiting the situation to get a leg up on competitors by selling Doom early, saying they wouldn’t pay employees for lost hours when the governor of California forced them to close in the state, and only closing after they get their big weekend sales from the double whammy of Doom and Animal Crossing.

It’s commendable that they’re giving paid time off now, sure, but it doesn’t erase what they’ve already done. As for the whole “calling in sick won’t affect your position within the company” thing, I’m sceptical. That’s a common line of bullshit trotted out and there’s often an unspoken pressure for people to come in regardless, because that kind of thing is untraceable and unprovable. Maybe GameStop will do right by its employees, but their track record makes me doubt it.

Basically, GameStop is going to get, and deserves to get, hate for a long time.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their purchases can then be picked up curbside at the door of retail stores, after coordinating with the in-store team.

This is beginning to sound like a drug deal

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by zfreeman,

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picture an image of you putting your $60 game you bought a few weeks ago into one slot and then they drop some change into another slot. But they only give you store credit so you don't even get the change.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Better late than never, so I'm glad they're doing that. Still, the damage to their reputation is pretty much done at this point, and I still doubt they do it out of any actual care for their workers or customers.

USUKDecks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahahaha wow that changed SUPER quick didn't it? yeah they realized how stupid it sounded that they deemed themselves as "essential" simply to try to qualify for some of that government $$$ and everybody saw right through that, the backlash was swift and massive, even from their own employees and BAM! literally overnight they went from "essential" to ... NOT. hmmmm gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E