1. 6,335

Front-page
    gamestop.jpg

Following the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, most stores and services halted their operations, except for essential services. GameStop, the video game retail store, deemed itself as essential retail and decided to remain open. However, it seems like this is about to change as a letter from the CEO, George Sherman, addressed to employees, and obtained by Kotaku, points out.

As of March 22nd, all of its US-based stores will temporarily close access to the public and transition to a “delivery at the door” service for those stores that still operate. Customers will be able to place orders from the GameStop app or by scanning QR codes at the door of stores. Their purchases can then be picked up curbside at the door of retail stores, after coordinating with the in-store team.

The company's CEO also wrote that eligible employees will be given 80 hours of extra paid time off, while those who aren't eligible will be offered two extra weeks of pay. Sherman also stressed that the company won't force employees to turn up for work if they don't feel comfortable doing so and that they should coordinate with their supervisors on this matter. “We respect that everyone has personal situations and preferences, so your decision will not impact your position with the company,” he added.

You can read the letter in its entirety in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (81 replies)

3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Tht just shut up the haters

Minox likes this.
  4. Cid2mizard

Cid2mizard GBAtemp Fan

France
    Since money comes before health for GameStop, I will never buy a game from micromania again.

mitcha likes this.
  5. GalacticWarsHalloween

Newcomer

Philippines
    It's a great idea that they do the same as fast food outlets during the viral pandemic, and it is okay for GameStop.

Megadriver94 and x65943 like this.
  6. relauby

relauby Contributor
    Contributor

Canada
    How did that shut up the haters? Just because GameStop was eventually forced to do the right thing doesn’t absolve them for staying open despite all the experts and everyone else indicating they should close, exploiting the situation to get a leg up on competitors by selling Doom early, saying they wouldn’t pay employees for lost hours when the governor of California forced them to close in the state, and only closing after they get their big weekend sales from the double whammy of Doom and Animal Crossing.

It’s commendable that they’re giving paid time off now, sure, but it doesn’t erase what they’ve already done. As for the whole “calling in sick won’t affect your position within the company” thing, I’m sceptical. That’s a common line of bullshit trotted out and there’s often an unspoken pressure for people to come in regardless, because that kind of thing is untraceable and unprovable. Maybe GameStop will do right by its employees, but their track record makes me doubt it.

Basically, GameStop is going to get, and deserves to get, hate for a long time.

7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    yes, they will just delivery the package with FREE covid19 included.

maorninja likes this.
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    lol. yeah, have you ever heard of a reasonable store manager in a gamestop?

9. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    This is beginning to sound like a drug deal

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Shut down, GameStop. We dont need you. :creep:

11. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Last edited by zfreeman, Mar 22, 2020
  12. RyRyIV

RyRyIV S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team

United States
    Never thought I’d see the day where GameStop would offer curbside delivery!

IncredulousP likes this.
  13. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Or, they can sell Trials of Mana early. :creep:

DJPlace likes this.
  14. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Mar 22, 2020, Reason: Shut up.
    Mar 22, 2020 Show
  15. JayMathis

JayMathis GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just picture an image of you putting your $60 game you bought a few weeks ago into one slot and then they drop some change into another slot. But they only give you store credit so you don't even get the change.

16. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Better late than never, so I'm glad they're doing that. Still, the damage to their reputation is pretty much done at this point, and I still doubt they do it out of any actual care for their workers or customers.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Wow, Gamestop is capable of making informed decisions in the face of a global epidemic *gasp*, I almost care about them now!

18. DANTENDO
    This message by DANTENDO has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Mar 22, 2020, Reason: Shut up.
    Mar 22, 2020 Show
  19. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Mar 22, 2020, Reason: Shut up.
    Mar 22, 2020 Show
  20. JayMathis

JayMathis GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would be shocked if Gamestop still exists 4-5 years from now. I'm kind of shocked they exist in 2020. Consumers have gotten smarter and that's why they're struggling to rip people off.

IncredulousP and the_randomizer like this.
  21. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I hope this causes irreparable damage to their reputation x3

22. andeers

andeers GBAtemp Regular

Cote d'Ivoire
    They are not essential. End of story. Stop GameStop, stop.

23. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah once the shit hit the fan and they finally realized it

the_randomizer likes this.
  24. USUKDecks

USUKDecks Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ahahaha wow that changed SUPER quick didn't it? yeah they realized how stupid it sounded that they deemed themselves as "essential" simply to try to qualify for some of that government $$$ and everybody saw right through that, the backlash was swift and massive, even from their own employees and BAM! literally overnight they went from "essential" to ... NOT. hmmmm gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Xzi, IncredulousP and the_randomizer like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - “delivery, GameStop, reverses