GameStop is planning to reopen stores in select areas, execs taking pay-cuts

GameStopLogo_.jpg

Undaunted by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic worldwide, GameStop is going to attempt to reopen some of its stores that were forced to close due to the illness. Amidst this, GameStop's senior-level management and executives will be facing salary reductions to compensate for the ongoing issues.

• A temporary base salary reduction of 50% for George Sherman, Chief Executive Officer, 30% for Jim Bell, Chief Financial Officer and the remainder of the executive leadership team.
  • The Board of Directors has temporarily reduced cash compensation to directors by 50%.
  • Other actions include:
    • Beginning April 26th, certain other employees across the Company’s worldwide operating units will receive temporarily reduced pay of between 10% and 30%.
    • Offered certain of the Company’s corporate support staff the option to either a temporary furlough or reduced workweek / reduced pay program.
    • Reduced inventory receipts to match demand with a focus on key hardware, software and accessories products.
    • Lowered capital spending to focus on mandatory maintenance or near-term high value strategic projects.
    • Due to the impact of governmental regulations and certain landlord decisions to close properties, the Company did not make a portion of certain lease payments and remains in discussions with its landlords regarding ongoing rent payments, including potential abatement, deferral and or restructuring of future rents during this period of COVID-19 related closure.

Most locations across the United States will remain closed, with a third of them being entirely closed, and the rest open but operating only through curbside pickup. That will change in the coming days, however, with GameStop stores in South Carolina and Georgia planning to re-open and continue business as usual. Stores across Germany, Italy, and Austria will also re-open soon, while no locations in Australia were closed due to COVID-19 and will also continue as normal.

Store Operations
The Company announced today the following updates to its global store operations:

• Approximately one-third of U.S. stores locations remain closed, with two-thirds of stores closed to customers but available for curbside pick-up.
  • The Company has begun the process of re-opening stores in Italy, Germany, Austria and the states of South Carolina and Georgia and is preparing for the potential to re-open in other operating countries and states in the coming weeks.
  • All stores in Australia remain open for business with strong results continuing with approximately 24% comparable store sales for the nine weeks ended April 4, 2020.

:arrow: Source

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Considering their risks reputation-wise (from inevitably getting a lot of bad rep from news outlets to potentially cementing themselves as "that company that kills workers for vidjagames"), I don't see it benefiting their stock prices in long term. Seems like a desperate move.

There is no such thing as long term strategy anymore, that's the same problem as the air companies fiasco for example. And there is no such thing as bad press as long as the message is that you're selling more or that you are increasing stock value.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Undaunted by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic worldwide, GameStop is going to attempt to reopen some of its stores that were forced to close due to the illness. Amidst this, GameStop's senior-level management and executives will be facing salary reductions to compensate for the ongoing issues.

Most locations across the United States will remain closed, with a third of them being entirely closed, and the rest open but operating only through curbside pickup. That will change in the coming days, however, with GameStop stores in South Carolina and Georgia planning to re-open and continue business as usual. Stores across Germany, Italy, and Austria will also re-open soon, while no locations in Australia were closed due to COVID-19 and will also continue as normal.

:arrow: Source
gamestop being shitty and greedy and people thinking that reggie can change that is like having sakurai work at ea
one amazing guy in a horrible, scummy, greedy company can't make it any less horrible, scummy or greedy

Reactions: NightScript

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop had a deal the other day, and the curb-side open gamestop in my town had an insane amount of people outside of the store super pissed they couldn't come inside the store. they were so. Angry. They wanted their slightly cheaper gamer headphones with mics. If there were a lot of stores who reported this, would explain the push. They see all those angry people as lost sales.

But then again, this is in Alabama, where stupidity is our biggest output. That and coal.
awh man... i came from alabama. I did move to georgia though, but honestly it's not much better. :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

gamestop being shitty and greedy and people thinking that reggie can change that is like having sakurai work at ea
one amazing guy in a horrible, scummy, greedy company can't make it any less horrible, scummy or greedy
Sakurai is downright amazing- if he worked at EA they would be fixed in like 2 months lol

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awh man... i came from alabama. I did move to georgia though, but honestly it's not much better. :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sakurai is downright amazing- if he worked at EA they would be fixed in like 2 months lol
even he can't save ea
or bethesda
or any other company that has descended into the pits of hell
did I miss any? oh right.
konami.
anyway, yeah. gamestop is screwed and rightfully so.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even he can't save ea
or bethesda
or any other company that has descended into the pits of hell
did I miss any? oh right.
konami.
anyway, yeah. gamestop is screwed and rightfully so.
Dude, getting anyone from nintendo- one of the best software publishers/developers in the gaming- no, the entire MEDIA industry- to work at your company is an automatic blessing.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, getting anyone from nintendo- one of the best software publishers/developers in the gaming- no, the entire MEDIA industry- to work at your company is an automatic blessing.
Oh believe me it is. As a Nintendo potato (Nintato?), I know just how good they are.
But as intelligence has limits but stupidity is infinite, someone like Reggie, Sakurai, Miyamoto or the late Iwata (bless his soul) still has a finite amount of good they can do. Incredibly large, but finite.
Meanwhile, Konami has an infinite amount of ways to abandon and suck money from their fans for the sake of f*cking pachinko and EA and Bethesda have a boundless vault full of scummy borderline-scam tactics to drain consumers dry.
Oh, and Sega is always figuring out new ways to exploit old nostalgia to gain money without making much... new.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh believe me it is. As a Nintendo potato (Nintato?), I know just how good they are.
But as intelligence has limits but stupidity is infinite, someone like Reggie, Sakurai, Miyamoto or the late Iwata (bless his soul) still has a finite amount of good they can do. Incredibly large, but finite.
Meanwhile, Konami has an infinite amount of ways to abandon and suck money from their fans for the sake of f*cking pachinko and EA and Bethesda have a boundless vault full of scummy borderline-scam tactics to drain consumers dry.
Oh, and Sega is always figuring out new ways to exploit old nostalgia to gain money without making much... new.
to be devil's advocate though (am i using it correctly?) isn't finding new ways to scam players money out of their wallets smart?
Like how the Devil is bad but very, very cunnning. he's evil and horrible- but he's smart. same thing can be said for activision and EA. coming up with new types of strategies and horrible ways to get more money out of players. I don't have interest for either of them, only worthwhile thing activision's got are the crash and spyro remakes, and no ea game has ever caught my attention.
the other two though... they're just stupid. especially konami.
If sega got a nintendo employee working there, (specifically one to replace iizuka) even just one, their entire company would be turned around. Plus sega already has some redeemable qualities, like owning atlus/the persona franchise and making the project diva games.
but konami just doesn't want to be in the gaming industry anymore. theyre now more of a pachinko/multimedia company that squirts out games every so often to please the fans. (in which most of them had went over to kojima productions since that's basically the new konami) theyve found something more profitable albeit much more scummy and lazy. nintendo employees can't fix konami.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be devil's advocate though (am i using it correctly?) isn't finding new ways to scam players money out of their wallets smart?
Like how the Devil is bad but very, very cunnning. he's evil and horrible- but he's smart. same thing can be said for activision and EA. coming up with new types of strategies and horrible ways to get more money out of players. I don't have interest for either of them, only worthwhile thing activision's got are the crash and spyro remakes, and no ea game has ever caught my attention.
the other two though... they're just stupid. especially konami.
If sega got a nintendo employee working there, (specifically one to replace iizuka) even just one, their entire company would be turned around. Plus sega already has some redeemable qualities, like owning atlus/the persona franchise and making the project diva games.
but konami just doesn't want to be in the gaming industry anymore. theyre now more of a pachinko/multimedia company that squirts out games every so often to please the fans. (in which most of them had went over to kojima productions since that's basically the new konami) theyve found something more profitable albeit much more scummy and lazy. nintendo employees can't fix konami.
Here's the plausible ways this kind of thing could occur, with who, and my idea of the results.
Example: GameStop + Reggie = GameStop is too GameStop to just Game-Stop being so greedy.
Konami dying out and being ironically brought back from the dead by IGA = maybe a good future for them after all.
Sega going under and being bought out by Nintendo (because somebody has to keep those series going, and do it better) = franchises like Sonic finally getting a reliable stream of good games with the worst being like Unleashed or Lost World and the best bordering on Mania-level perfection. Oh, and the anniversary celebrations won't suck.
High-level Nintendo employees temporarily also working at EA (I can't fathom why- maybe an intentional move for a collaboration for a Mario sports title or something) = something vaguely resembling a kind company.
Bethesda getting sued to death with nobody to revive them and their series falling into public domain = a better world.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the plausible ways this kind of thing could occur, with who, and my idea of the results.
Example: GameStop + Reggie = GameStop is too GameStop to just Game-Stop being so greedy.
Konami dying out and being ironically brought back from the dead by IGA = maybe a good future for them after all.
Sega going under and being bought out by Nintendo (because somebody has to keep those series going, and do it better) = franchises like Sonic finally getting a reliable stream of good games with the worst being like Unleashed or Lost World and the best bordering on Mania-level perfection. Oh, and the anniversary celebrations won't suck.
High-level Nintendo employees temporarily also working at EA (I can't fathom why- maybe an intentional move for a collaboration for a Mario sports title or something) = something vaguely resembling a kind company.
Bethesda getting sued to death with nobody to revive them and their series falling into public domain = a better world.
TBF just because a company is bought out by another one doesnt necessarily mean the games will be better. Igarashi would probably just buy konami to acquire all the franchises they have and then dump the crappy dev team in the trash
same for nintendo buying sega.- after all the main reason for the recent games of both of these companies sucking is because the dev team & designers don't really know how to design. or develop.
Also if nintendo employees worked at EA that would probably mean that they might make a game i'm interested in for once :rofl2:
Besthesda should get bought out by sony, or have the Spyro and Crash lisences sold to someone else, like naughty dog. those franchises are too good to just be left under their care, even if the current remakes are phenomenal

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pog? I, personally, love my local gamestop and the employees so I don't want them to get sick. However, I really want to sell some of my games/get new games
People still trade in games to gamestop/eb games? Are their offers better than all those years ago where it'd be like $4 for your $50 game?

Just sell your things on kijiji/craigslist/ebay/facebook marketplace. Even if you have to undercut the used prices at gamestop, you'd still be making more than what they'd offer you.

Back in September, I sold my duplicate copy of Smash 4 (disc only) for $40 on kijiji, then bought a CIB copy of Smash Ultimate for $45. The myNintendo Gold Coins were even unused, giving me a nice $0.90 in my eShop. Gamestop would have probably given me $3 for my game and they charge $65.99 for a used copy of Smash Ultimate. Yikes.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well a lot of businesses are reopening - it's not only GameStop

At some point the economy has to reopen

They are only doing this in select areas that don't have a high rate of covid infection
Look up camelot on youtube he has tons of videos, even during the start of this crisis he wanted people to work. Video games arent essential and all the ceo did was encourage people to still work. They even went as far as to making hand sanitizer out of pur rubbing alchohol and nothing else. The ceo was so cheap he didnt even provide proper ppe instead he cut costs by telling workers to use gamestop bags as gloves.

My company being retail obviously essential, we were provided gloves, reachable facemasks, hand sanitizer at every register and even told to call in if we have a fever without fear of loosing our job. We arent even as big as gamestop being a midwestern retailer.

The people running gamestop are scumbags and slowly closing each store and looking for any petty reason to fire workers.

No store unless essential should not be reopen until theres a proper vaccine.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look up camelot on youtube he has tons of videos, even during the start of this crisis he wanted people to work. Video games arent essential and all the ceo did was encourage people to still work. They even went as far as to making hand sanitizer out of pur rubbing alchohol and nothing else. The ceo was so cheap he didnt even provide proper ppe instead he cut costs by telling workers to use gamestop bags as gloves.

My company being retail obviously essential, we were provided gloves, reachable facemasks, hand sanitizer at every register and even told to call in if we have a fever without fear of loosing our job. We arent even as big as gamestop being a midwestern retailer.

The people running gamestop are scumbags and slowly closing each store and looking for any petty reason to fire workers.

No store unless essential should not be reopen until theres a proper vaccine.
jesus christ i knew the gamestop ceo was an asshole but i didnt know he was that cheap. i hope the company goes under. i used to go to gamestop to look at the games but not much else. once i saw an arcade being added to the mall the gamestop was in, i never went to that gamestop ever again. Best buy is your friend guys, support them. not GS...

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at all these people complaining that a company is trying to not go bankrupt amidst a virus that most people don't even know that they have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.