1. 10,066

Front-page
    game-stop-sign.jpg

As GameStop struggles with relevancy within even its own target market, the company itself still believes they're essential to the daily lives of the average gamer. In a memo allegedly sent out to workers at the chain, GameStop head management stated the following: "Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers' experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time."

So, if you work at a GameStop, don't think that you'll be able to get a few days off for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. While GameStop seems adamant in maintaining that they're "essential", it appears that law enforcement has shown up at certain locations, trying to close the store, only to be informed by GameStop store managers that the video game retailer has legal documentation to prove its importance during the outbreak of a virus.

:arrow: Source

Ricken, Red771, DarkFlare69 and 15 others like this.
  2. Discussion (135 replies)

3. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Yeah, instead of shopping for bread, toilet paper and bidets, I always grab my daily game.
    Goes great with the morning wood... errr coffee.

4. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    Essential? Are they for real!? I will stay inside and use a helpful tool called the internet to get my games. Not going to risk my health for them. >.>

Victorum, DrHouse1337, XAIXER and 8 others like this.
  5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Yeah, no, forget what I said before. Not even Reggie can save this kinda sinking ship of arrogance.

6. JayMathis

JayMathis GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can count on one hand how many times I went in a gamestop last decade. They're not essential for anybody, they just want $$$.

7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re hoping to cash in on people who may be looking to self isolate.

I know of one non grocery store in the UK where sales seem to have improved as people prepare to self isolate e.g. desks, bread makers, TVs, games, white goods, etc.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll start closing stores ‘for the benefit of the community’ or some other BS as soon as the profitability changes.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I'm afraid to go to gamestop, I might end up with clothes and toys than a game. :ninja:

But I have to since is the only gamestore near me. :blink:

IncredulousP likes this.
  9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    this whole crisis thing has every unworthy actor on the planet wave it's hand and proudly proclaim "I am evil, I just thought you should know."

Joom, Axido, seanp2500 and 1 other person like this.
  10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    I hav no problem with any shop staying open - but if a worker doesn't feel comfortable til this is over then they should be able to keep ther job - it's gonna be a tough decision for some people

Redhorse, IncredulousP and 2Hack like this.
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Are they really counting eSports players as "working from home"? In my mind that just doesn't qualify as a job.
    Never mind that most eSports games are played on PC, and they don't sell PC gaming peripherals at all.

tyrantnyx and 2Hack like this.
  12. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

United States
    Can't wait till there is legal precedent with this whole outbreak and the wellbeing of employees during pandemics... It really doesn't make any sense financially since I'm sure their cost to stay open are not being covered by the revenue they bring in due to people self isolating. I don't see or know anyone going into a gamestop right now. Unless each store handles Online purchases and shipping, but I doubt that too.

13. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    The delusion is real. Also, apparently they lied about their sanitation policies amid this pandemic. Nice.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Aside from the questionable, subjective first half... They do actually have gaming peripherals for PC.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Not here they don't. :unsure:

15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Not all stores carry them as they don't sell well enough. I had 2 GS stores here. One did carry keyboards, mice, capture cards and microphones/headsets. Guess which store they closed.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  16. Leen

Leen Member
    Newcomer

United States
    As i Said in the doom eternal post on gamestop there is a lot of stuff that "should be closed" that aren't not just gamestop. And at this point the people who have it should stay home and not infect the people who don't get a choice but to work( as a person who works at a grocery store i would love not to be near the people who could infect me but don't really get a choice)

17. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

United States
    Yee, I am going to gamestop tomorrow to pick up animal crossing.

Ryccardo likes this.
  18. Shape

Shape Member
    Newcomer

United States
    100% this.

codezer0 likes this.
  19. Leen

Leen Member
    Newcomer

United States
    To be fair where i live a small chain game store(used games has new too) is still open too so you really cant shit too much on them if other game stores are open too

invaderyoyo likes this.
  20. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Are they first class necessity business, though?

21. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

United States
    Oh boy Gamestop

I'm pretty sure they're only doing this because they're desperate for business as-is.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - worldwide, essential, closures