Despite store closures worldwide, GameStop remains open, claiming they are "essential retail"

game-stop-sign.jpg

As GameStop struggles with relevancy within even its own target market, the company itself still believes they're essential to the daily lives of the average gamer. In a memo allegedly sent out to workers at the chain, GameStop head management stated the following: "Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers' experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time."

So, if you work at a GameStop, don't think that you'll be able to get a few days off for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. While GameStop seems adamant in maintaining that they're "essential", it appears that law enforcement has shown up at certain locations, trying to close the store, only to be informed by GameStop store managers that the video game retailer has legal documentation to prove its importance during the outbreak of a virus.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re hoping to cash in on people who may be looking to self isolate.

I know of one non grocery store in the UK where sales seem to have improved as people prepare to self isolate e.g. desks, bread makers, TVs, games, white goods, etc.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll start closing stores ‘for the benefit of the community’ or some other BS as soon as the profitability changes.

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait till there is legal precedent with this whole outbreak and the wellbeing of employees during pandemics... It really doesn't make any sense financially since I'm sure their cost to stay open are not being covered by the revenue they bring in due to people self isolating. I don't see or know anyone going into a gamestop right now. Unless each store handles Online purchases and shipping, but I doubt that too.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The delusion is real. Also, apparently they lied about their sanitation policies amid this pandemic. Nice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are they really counting eSports players as "working from home"? In my mind that just doesn't qualify as a job.
Never mind that most eSports games are played on PC, and they don't sell PC gaming peripherals at all.

Aside from the questionable, subjective first half... They do actually have gaming peripherals for PC.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not here they don't. :unsure:

Not all stores carry them as they don't sell well enough. I had 2 GS stores here. One did carry keyboards, mice, capture cards and microphones/headsets. Guess which store they closed.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i Said in the doom eternal post on gamestop there is a lot of stuff that "should be closed" that aren't not just gamestop. And at this point the people who have it should stay home and not infect the people who don't get a choice but to work( as a person who works at a grocery store i would love not to be near the people who could infect me but don't really get a choice)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To be fair where i live a small chain game store(used games has new too) is still open too so you really cant shit too much on them if other game stores are open too
Are they first class necessity business, though?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey