Gamers start campaign to end Wii U/3DS region locking.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 17,006
  • Replies 186
  • Likes 15

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say go for it although we all know how stubborn Nintendo can be. They never listen to gamers unless its hurting there profits a lot, and I mean a lot. Take 3ds where it was priced way too high after having terrible sales they finally did a price cut. Now here is where Nintendo infamous stubbornness comes into play the WiiU is selling just as bad as Sony's PSvita. Neither console will do a price drop despite fans demands. There is no doubt that the WiiU will have some good games 6 months to a year from now. But these games should of been announced a year ago and have been out by now.
Any way this is about region-free for Wii U and 3ds I say do it Nintendo but I don't think they will due to past history especially the stuff I have not mentioned.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
What's wrong with wanting 60 Hz VC games? Using 50 Hz in this day and age when most TVs support NTSC is pretty stupid. No one in their right mind wants a 20% speed reduction.

I actually agree on that one! smooth game-play, good controls, are foundation of gaming.
One wall is breached by Nintendo and that is crisp picture (HD) no more that problem :) It wasn't really a problem it's just that if system can display crisp picture, anything can be good.

implying an organized campaign ended drm on A) a Sony console which never had any to begin with and B) a Microsoft console which got severe backlash from EVERYONE "solved" DRM.

Like I hate to break it to ya but saying that a hashtag solved DRM is pretty fucking smug.

EDIT: Also what incentives does Nintendo have to remove region locking? People are still enjoying the fuck out of the 3DS (well I thought non-Japanese sales are a bit flaky but the console, as a whole, is doing okay) and the Wii U won't be selling any better because a bunch of weeaboos want to play their nonexistent Japanese Wii U games.

So yeah this campaign is probably going to go nowhere but unsuccessful.

predictions, predictions and finding a logic... It doesn't hurt to try, there sure is no other way, but if people just sit, than THAT will not solve anything.
As for non existent Japanese games..it's not just about japanese game some people want region free games.
Not everything is revolving around Japan (Even though it is Japanese console and all :P )

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually agree on that one! smooth game-play, good controls, are foundation of gaming.
One wall is breached by Nintendo and that is crisp picture (HD) no more that problem :) It wasn't really a problem it's just that if system can display crisp picture, anything can be good.

I just want them to filter Snes games like they do with NES games. Not sure why they can't make them look smoother filter-wise, but whatever.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you want them to filter SNES games like they filter DS games on 3DS? :P

No, like NES games on the Wii U VC. On the TV and game pad, they have a light filtering effect (not too heavy, not too light), but Snes is only filtered on the Gamepad but not the TV. That makes no sense; 240p shouldn't look horrible scaled on a 720/1080 signal.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
No, like NES games on the Wii U VC. On the TV and game pad, they have a light filtering effect (not too heavy, not too light), but Snes is only filtered on the Gamepad but not the TV. That makes no sense; 240p shouldn't look horrible scaled on a 720/1080 signal.

I was joking, because DS games on 3DS don't look that pretty.

I never understood that, why can't nintendo actually make something so everyone can be happy..there's always something missing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was joking, because DS games on 3DS don't look that pretty.

I never understood that, why can't nintendo actually make something so everyone can be happy..there's always something missing.

Exactly. If they can implement a filter in their NES emulator, they can do it with the Snes emulator.

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing is though, it would completely SHIT on Nintendo America, because everyone will be buying games from Japan (because they are usually released earlier) and Nintendo America will get no sales.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing is though, it would completely SHIT on Nintendo America, because everyone will be buying games from Japan (because they are usually released earlier) and Nintendo America will get no sales.

That never stopped them from making the DS region free. That sold well, as did the GBA, the GBC, and neither had region lock. If it's so "detrimental" to sales, how the hell did those systems sell so well?

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That never stopped them from making the DS region free. That sold well, as did the GBA, the GBC, and neither had region lock. If it's so "detrimental" to sales, how the hell did those systems sell so well?

Well, I'm just making an assumption, but I'm guessing part of the reason was not many people had ever thought about ordering games from Japan back then. And in the GBC days, very few people ordered things online (especially from different countries) compared to today.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh please, Europe is the one taking the short straw in that situation with the current currency rates and game prices. Japan is also expensive as hell compared to the US game prices. Just like Europe. Basically weeabos and the likes (people wanting to play japanese games regardless of language skills) will order from Japan. Most people in the US will do as they have done so far: look for cheaper prices on Amazon, etc. Europe on the other hand.. Well. We pay quite a lot for new releases. Especially in the Nordics. Currently I can see new PS3/360 games hitting retail at 59.95/69.95€. That's ~$80/$90. At the same time it's $59.95 in the US. Even if the stuff was hit with import taxes, it'd be cheaper in the US.

But alas, what am I to say. I only import (region-free) electronics from the US due to import regulations in the EU region. The inside market in EU is quite strong (getting everything from Amazon and the likes lowers prices quite fast, at least for me).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No.

It is completely the opposite. Region locking is mostly to prevent gamers from Japanese and some smaller market (Brazil, SK, etc) from buying US/EU games (reverse importation). The idea is that Japanese and these small market priced their game significantly higher than US/EU counterpart, so gamers from these regions will often want to buy cheaper games from US/EU market.

Just look at Persona 4 Arena, the only PS3 retail game that uses region locking. Atlus doesn't want Japanese gamers to buy it from EU (JP gets the game one month later than EU).

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

It is completely the opposite. Region locking is mostly to prevent gamers from Japanese and some smaller market (Brazil, SK, etc) from buying US/EU games (reverse importation). The idea is that Japanese and these small market priced their game significantly higher than US/EU counterpart, so gamers from these regions will often want to buy cheaper games from US/EU market.

Just look at Persona 4 Arena, the only PS3 retail game that uses region locking. Atlus doesn't want Japanese gamers to buy it from EU (JP gets the game one month later than EU).

But still, you see my point though, right? That is why I think it will at least be a while before they actually do take it off, unless we can convince like everyone to stop buying Nintendo products until they do.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But still, you see my point though, right? That is why I think it will at least be a while before they actually do take it off, unless we can convince like everyone to stop buying Nintendo products until they do.
Then again, just releasing the stuff all at once and adding optional game translations later as downloads. While I understand someone wants to play game X or game Y or game Z in German or French, I see no reason why I should wait the things to be translated when the English version is available. And no, I'm not a native English speaker. Releasing games in all regions at the same time removes quite a lot of the needs or wants of importing (ie. convenience).

ps. I would love to see the reactions of people in the EU if every single game had to wait to be translated into Finnish before release.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Oh no they didn't. We got the gaem ten months later than everyone else... P4A is a perfect example of when region locking screws over an entire region.

ps. I would love to see the reactions of people in the EU if every single game had to wait to be translated into Finnish before release.

Considering gaems take an eternity to get released here even if the gaem is only in english, I imagine the EU gaeming community would go clinically insane.

Reactions: Qtis

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no they didn't. We got the gaem ten months later than everyone else... P4A is a perfect example of when region locking screws over an entire region.

Considering gaems take an eternity to get released here even if the gaem is only in english, I imagine the EU gaeming community would go clinically insane.

The problem with EU is the fact they consider most of Europe as one region. While politically you guys are moving towards that (with the Euro and European Union and all) media wise its the amount of countries and languages that screw you guys over.

Did I get around the ballpark there?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with EU is the fact they consider most of Europe as one region. While politically you guys are moving towards that (with the Euro and European Union and all) media wise its the amount of countries and languages that screw you guys over.

Did I get around the ballpark there?

Actually if there has been one blessing of the PS3/360 era it's that games usually get released in Europe in a timely manner. Most gaems get released simultaneously in the same week because companies are now able to coordinate their releases. Probably helped by the irrelevance of 50hz/60hz shit. And admittedly this generation is being driven more by the West than the Japanese game industry. Most companies are genuinely fine and Europe is no longer seen as the poor relation anymore. As evidenced by the PS4 being released this year alongside NA with no mention of Japan. Some companies are shit at it though, Nintendo need to up their game regarding simultaneous releases and the 50hz eshop bullshit. Anything regarding Atlus is a write off because Atlus have no professional integrity regarding Europe (Devil Survivor Overclocked and Persona 4 Arena). There's so many issues regarding Atlus E releases, it's hard not to come to the conclusion Atlus is the problem.

tl;dr: Nintendon't and Atlus need to get their shit sorted.

Language isn't a problem. You can release a game in English only. DSO and P4A are only in English yet they took a year each to get released from the European publishing agreement. Tales of Graces F was released around three months after the US release and that got translated into several languages. The issue is whether Devs/Pubs actually give a shit. Atlus don't and that's why their games have issues, Bamco do care and that's seen with Tales of Xilla being released at the same time as the NA release.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really care about region locks, but I still think it is cool if Nintendo remove them for the people who do care. To import a game(most of the time Japanese), you need to understand that language. Also importing a game is mad expensive. For example, I see a lot of Vita Japanese games priced at almost $100 in ebay and play Asia, while it really cost much much less.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!