GameCube VC

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by ForeverEternal, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ForeverEternal
    OP

ForeverEternal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    Assuming it's a thing for the switch through software emulation.

Will it be possible for Nintendo to render those games in HD?

nmkd likes this.
  2. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I REALLY hope this system gets it, but I'm very likely assuming it will use a real framebuffer and render games in 480p. The Tegra X1 can run GC games just fine and that's community built. An official R&D project from Nintendo would probably fare better, especially the Switch is speculated to use an even better chip (Officially a custom one at that)

nmkd likes this.
  3. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    We have pretty much no idea what the specs are other than the SoC will be using Pascal architecture.\

edit: so no one can do too much more than make an educated guess

4. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Can't remember what the actual name for them are but the reason the Wii U doesn't have GCN emulation is because of the L and R having that sensitivity feature used notably in Mario Sunshine where you can control how strong Fludd is depending on how far you push it down.

My point is, if the Switch doesn't have that there will be no VC because Nintendo doesn't like 'work-arounds' regardless of how simple they may be.

Last edited by Kourin, Nov 3, 2016
  5. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    umm maybe, wait and see.. nintendo do things extrange

6. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    You can emulate GCN on the Wii U with a little trick.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

7. CatmanFan

CatmanFan nope

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    For me, GameCube VC is a must-have. I want an inclusion of several configurations such as controller mapping, screen size and smoothing, savestates, etc.

Another part of my wish-list is the pricing, which I think should be $9.99/$10.49.

8. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I always wonder how they would deal with the shoulder trigger controls. A massive example is Mario Sunshine. Press lightly and Mario can run and use the water cannon. Press all the way down and it'll click and Mario will stand in place and use the water cannon. Another is Luigi's Mansion where the strength of the vacuum cleaner is determined by how hard you press the shoulder button. Unless they seriously want to repackage the Gamecube controller and the adapter again.

9. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    If we get official GC support, I don't think it will be right away. I think we will have to wait a few years before nintendo starts pulling out the stops to get us retro content.

10. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    you mean "Nintendont"? That is a "bridge" not an emulator

11. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Yes...

12. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    The point wasn't that it can be done, the point was that Nintendo won't do it because unless the controller has the sensitive L and R button, they have to do some kind of work-around. Which Nintendo never does.

13. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    I dont think they will make them HD. I think it will be pure and simple emulation of gamecube.
    However, i dont exclude the possibility of porting gamecube game like mario sunshine in HD for switch

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The thing is, the Wii U is still still using the same PowerPC as the Wii/CG. Which is why it's easy to emulate the GC on the Wii U.
    The Switch is no longer going to be using PowerPC, so emulation is going to be a lot harder on the Switch. I am not saying impossible, but it's definitely not going to happen at launch.

15. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Yes.
    Performance-wise it's possible (especially with an official VC), and even a homebrew emulator could work. Tegra X1 plays most GC games at a decent speed, for example Metroid Prime @40fps.