1. djpannda

OP djpannda GBAtemp's Pannda

United States
    [​IMG]
    Hello Folks!!

Time for another Pannda's Marvelous Mods!
    Todays Edition is a Gameboy Pocket IPS Mod. I got a non-working Green GBP from a thrift store for $15. I can hear it chime when it’s on so I knew it was not dead.
    I decided to buy a listing for about $40 Multi Colors GBP OSD Version RIPS LCD Backlight LCD Mod & Pre- cut Housing shell. The kit has everything you need
    s-l1600-5.jpg IMG_1833.jpeg
    I really did not want to cut the shell so I Opted to buy the aftermarket shell and this version allows you to create to 36 preset colors. Really looks easy, the last GBP black light mod I did was one you need to replace the Screen Backing film without breaking the original ribbon and it was a Pain to deal with.
    IMG_1659.jpeg Shell does not look bad so I really don't want to cut it.
    1. Remove the 6 Triwings screws on the back of the gbp. Carefully remove the backing and the 3 Philip screws holding the motherboard
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    2. Apple the adhesive tape on the front of the new Shell. Place the New screen ( Easily lines up with the Precut shell) and apply place the insulating film.
    IMG_1835.jpeg IMG_1834.jpeg IMG_1836.jpeg
    3. Solder the wires to the Power pad ( you can also solder the sel, A, B for additional options but its not really needed, I tried it but was not working properly so I Give it up on it). Solder the other side of the Power wire to the 2nd pad of the power switch. Replace the buttons.
    IMG_1837.jpeg IMG_1839.jpeg
    4.Attached the PCB to the Screen, Apply the insulating film on the PCB and connect the Ribbon to the PCB and Motherboard . Make sure to attached both the Color touch button and the Brightness touch button
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    5. Close it up ( make sure you test it before completely closing it) The new shell is more of a Lime Green but I really liked the different colors as contrast. SO, The Front is the lIme Green and the back is the Original green and it looks Great
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    6.The screen really looks Nice and there's not signs of screen tearing, The best part is just a small tap on the top and the color pallet changes to 36 options ( and Brightness on the Other side)
    IMG_1842.jpeg IMG_1843.jpeg
    This mod it pretty easy if you buy the precut shell and don't really use the manual options wires. and it nice to add the 8 GBP to my collection. Thanks for viewing another Eps of Pannda's Marvelous Mods.

Last edited by djpannda, May 9, 2021
    chronoss, Benja81, aadz93 and 4 others like this.
  2. aadz93

aadz93 GBAtemp Official Psychonaut

Korea, North
    Nice

But Does one really, need 36 separate pallets?

I use green, grayscale, and the GBC stock pallet, and 5 custom pallets

Too bad it isn't solderless

Last edited by aadz93, May 11, 2021
  3. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I was not aware that it even existed, nice!!!

Installation looks easy, I just suggest people to not use those electrical tapes, they leave too much residual glue on everything, and they go dry in about 7 years or so, so it may come lose after that.

4. aadz93

Korea, North

They started appearing within the last few years, via Shenzhen modders

5. djpannda

United States
    YES I need a New Pallet for every game ! lol
    like @aadz93 stated it started popping up a few back but the newest versions are a lot easier to install/ better screen and features.

aadz93 likes this.
  6. aadz93

Korea, North
    Yeah this one I believe is the cheaper one, iirc it has issue with displaying white, which appears greyish

The newer ones are solderless, and fixes previous issue but cost more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313414954782?hash=item48f8fcaf1e:g:3rcAAOSw9PNgJMPR

7. djpannda

United States
    I would hate then they claim "Solderless". They mean Wrap the Power Wire around the batter terminals. I tried one before and it ended up bad.. where any jiggle would turn off the screen. Trust me just Solder the power wire. The one I got was $40

aadz93 likes this.
  8. aadz93

Korea, North
    Lol I just looked at that, said the same thing, it's only one wire, and it'll be hard to fuck that solder joint up ...

Yeah the 30 and $40 ones are the older version iirc

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - GameBoy, pallets, Pocket