Tutorial  Updated

GameBoy Pocket IPS Screen Mod w/ 36 color pallets.

pmm-001-jpeg.250355

Hello Folks!!

Time for another Pannda's Marvelous Mods!
Todays Edition is a Gameboy Pocket IPS Mod. I got a non-working Green GBP from a thrift store for $15. I can hear it chime when it’s on so I knew it was not dead.
I decided to buy a listing for about $40 Multi Colors GBP OSD Version RIPS LCD Backlight LCD Mod & Pre- cut Housing shell. The kit has everything you need
s-l1600-5.jpg IMG_1833.jpeg
I really did not want to cut the shell so I Opted to buy the aftermarket shell and this version allows you to create to 36 preset colors. Really looks easy, the last GBP black light mod I did was one you need to replace the Screen Backing film without breaking the original ribbon and it was a Pain to deal with.
IMG_1659.jpeg Shell does not look bad so I really don't want to cut it.
1. Remove the 6 Triwings screws on the back of the gbp. Carefully remove the backing and the 3 Philip screws holding the motherboard
IMG_1841.jpeg
2. Apple the adhesive tape on the front of the new Shell. Place the New screen ( Easily lines up with the Precut shell) and apply place the insulating film.
IMG_1835.jpeg IMG_1834.jpeg IMG_1836.jpeg
3. Solder the wires to the Power pad ( you can also solder the sel, A, B for additional options but its not really needed, I tried it but was not working properly so I Give it up on it). Solder the other side of the Power wire to the 2nd pad of the power switch. Replace the buttons.
IMG_1837.jpeg IMG_1839.jpeg
4.Attached the PCB to the Screen, Apply the insulating film on the PCB and connect the Ribbon to the PCB and Motherboard . Make sure to attached both the Color touch button and the Brightness touch button
IMG_1840.jpeg
5. Close it up ( make sure you test it before completely closing it) The new shell is more of a Lime Green but I really liked the different colors as contrast. SO, The Front is the lIme Green and the back is the Original green and it looks Great
IMG_1845.jpeg
6.The screen really looks Nice and there's not signs of screen tearing, The best part is just a small tap on the top and the color pallet changes to 36 options ( and Brightness on the Other side)
IMG_1842.jpeg IMG_1843.jpeg
This mod it pretty easy if you buy the precut shell and don't really use the manual options wires. and it nice to add the 8 GBP to my collection. Thanks for viewing another Eps of Pannda's Marvelous Mods.

Last edited by djpannda,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I was not aware that it even existed, nice!!!

Installation looks easy, I just suggest people to not use those electrical tapes, they leave too much residual glue on everything, and they go dry in about 7 years or so, so it may come lose after that.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States

Installation looks easy, I just suggest people to not use those electrical tapes, they leave too much residual glue on everything, and they go dry in about 7 years or so, so it may come lose after that.

They started appearing within the last few years, via Shenzhen modders

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice

But Does one really, need 36 separate pallets?

I use green, grayscale, and the GBC stock pallet, and 5 custom pallets

Too bad it isn't solderless
YES I need a New Pallet for every game ! lol

like @aadz93 stated it started popping up a few back but the newest versions are a lot easier to install/ better screen and features.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this one I believe is the cheaper one, iirc it has issue with displaying white, which appears greyish

The newer ones are solderless, and fixes previous issue but cost more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313414954782?hash=item48f8fcaf1e:g:3rcAAOSw9PNgJMPR
I would hate then they claim "Solderless". They mean Wrap the Power Wire around the batter terminals. I tried one before and it ended up bad.. where any jiggle would turn off the screen. Trust me just Solder the power wire. The one I got was $40

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would hate then they claim "Solderless". They mean Wrap the Power Wire around the batter terminals. I tried one before and it ended up bad.. where any jiggle would turn off the screen. Trust me just Solder the power wire. The one I got was $40

Lol I just looked at that, said the same thing, it's only one wire, and it'll be hard to fuck that solder joint up ...

Yeah the 30 and $40 ones are the older version iirc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn