GCN GameBoy Player + ROM Loading

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also recommend SD media launcher if those are still around. You might be able to boot an iso of the disc with that. for $40 though you could probably get a used Wii, install homebrew channel, and run GBA games via vbagx. Works great.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also recommend SD media launcher if those are still around. You might be able to boot an iso of the disc with that. for $40 though you could probably get a used Wii, install homebrew channel, and run GBA games via vbagx. Works great.
Tried to find one, but none of the SD Media Launchers I saw were NTSC. And I already have a modded Wii. The goal here is to be able to use the GB Player for GameLink multiplayer since I have a Revo K101 Plus, so an emulator and a lack of a link port won't cut it.

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to find one, but none of the SD Media Launchers I saw were NTSC. And I already have a modded Wii. The goal here is to be able to use the GB Player for GameLink multiplayer since I have a Revo K101 Plus, so an emulator and a lack of a link port won't cut it.
Ahh I see that now! sorry i glossed over the other posts. Good luck getting it fired up

Tzakiel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here this goes...I picked up a really cheap GB Player at my local thrift store, and want to know what I need to do to get it up and running without a startup disc. Further, is there a method of getting the GB Player to load ROM files?

Did you ever get the GB player to load roms? What all did you use to get it working? Did you have to get a flash cart or can the launcher SD card be used to hold and launch roms with GBI?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever get the GB player to load roms? What all did you use to get it working? Did you have to get a flash cart or can the launcher SD card be used to hold and launch roms with GBI?
Oh wow, I forgot about posting that. No, I never got it to work, I couldn't get the GameCube to read data from the memcard SD adapter... Er, either that, or the Action Replay code didn't work. I forget which. In all fairness, I was trying to do this the hard way, with components not completely intended to do what I was trying to do. I'd go back through the posts and snag up the suggested hardware.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

read @FAST6191 reply
the game boy player is a game boy advance that outputs video to the gamecube..
therefore like a real gba, you need a gba flashcart

2 good options are
ez flash iv
everdrive gba

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it hasn't been said before, you can do this with only soft-modding your GC. You will need one of the few games where a save game exploit exists and is released, but Wind Waker and Smash are two of them so quite likely you'll have either of those. You will also need a Wii (with GC support) which can easily be soft-modded to put the save files on a memory card.

Then use it to boot a homebrew that allows you to play the GBA games with the GB Player.

Links to exploits:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3311 (Wind Waker)
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=5a6428be227c53e67b218ed03fa43e3b (Softmodding GC subforum)

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Or you can mod your GC and burn an iso of the gba player disc
I lost mine ages ago, but since i have 3 cubes, all are modded, 1 with Xeno, 1 with Viper and 1 with Qoob, i can use a burned iso of the disc

- Xeno is still being sold for around $9,95 i think and easy to install (No wires)

Last edited by DjoeN,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Or you can mod your GC and burn an iso of the gba player disc
I lost mine ages ago, but since i have 3 cubes, all are modded, 1 with Xeno, 1 with Viper and 1 with Qoob, i can use a burned iso of the disc

- Xeno is still being sold for around $9,95 i think and easy to install (No wires)
Game Boy Interface is better though.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I actually still have my old Action Replay. I can use that plus an SD adapter to load GBI, correct? And if that's the case, will I be able to load GBA ROMs with that method?
This is the preferred method, booting into Swiss and then GBI 240p mode, with an EZ-FLASH IV or Everdrive GB/A.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Never looked into it.

What are the benefits compared to the real disc?
It loads from SD card, so no startup disc needed, supports 240p which is ideal for the best image, and even has low latency builds. The tradeoff is you lose borders, but it's worth it.

Reactions: DjoeN

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Never looked into it.

What are the benefits compared to the real disc?
For one it runs at a more correct refresh rate, so the games look smoother. It also has lower latency. It provides extra settings, and a few extra features. But it's mostly all around improvements.
There's more info here: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782
There's also a bunch of YouTube videos comparing it to the original.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: DjoeN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto