Hardware Game Pad Screen Power Switch Mod

Wooley-X64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello All,
New Wii U owner (2 days in). I tried to watch Netflix last night and I found that the game pad likes to mirror what I am watching on the TV. I can see the need for this in the event that I do not want to watch/play a movie/game on the TV and wish to use the game pad. (AWESOME) Now when I want to use the TV and not have the game pad wasting energy and also casting great lights in my dark living room. ( NOT SO AWESOME)

TL;DR

I have searched around many a forum and found that you have two options here:
Play movie...then walk the Game pad out of the range of the Wii U so it disconnects and then power down the game pad.

YEAH that sounds like a great idea...if I intend on not pausing the movie/show or deciding to change my mind and go to watch something else. I would then have to power the pad back on and then once I made my selection or changes walk away and disconnect the game pad again. (People stated they do this). I cannot fathom doing that. I want to continue to use the game pad to control the system. I just don't want the darn screen on when no one is looking at it.

The other way around this is to use the half thought out option that Nintendo included in the software. (IF YOU HAVE A WII REMOTE HANDY).
Get the show playing as you want. Then hit Home -> Game pad settings -> turn off display. Now your screen is dark (Do no touch the game pad or it will spring back to life) Except...now the screen on the TV is stuck in the home menu. So you have to connect up (power on) another controller to pull yourself out of that screen and continue watching your show/movie.

Really? (People do this too)

Well, All BS aside from whoever is at fault. Netflix Nintendo...I do not care. Even if they could ad a press power button put game pad into sleep mode or at least turn off the screen in a simple update. That is all beside the point of this post.

TL;DR We game pad screen always on sucks
Simple Question:
Would it be possible to attach a toggle switch to the Game Pad to disconnect power to only the screen?
If even remotely possible. How hard would such a feat be? I have close to no skill in soldering, but I am savvy enough that I have not killed myself or broken anything yet.

Thank you all in advance,
-Wooley

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really want to void your warranty over this? You realize if you do break your game pad, it's $130 to replace. Do method number two, keep it in the charging cradle, put a blanket or something over it. That's the best you can do for now. But it doesn't mirror the screen, doesn't it put like video information down there as an alternative option?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Chances are the GamePad won't even work if the screen is detached (same as having a switch on it in the off position).

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a silicone protector over my wiiu gamepad
(like this one)
http://www.jpc.de/image/w600/misc/2/0873124003888.jpg[/spoiler]

and this makes it very simple, to put something, like a black piece of paper or something similar between the protector and the screen, so I don't see the screens glow in the dark, but can still use its buttons...
try it, if you got some kind of protector around your gamepad

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have a silicone protector over my wiiu gamepad
(like this one)
http://www.jpc.de/image/w600/misc/2/0873124003888.jpg[/spoiler]

and this makes it very simple, to put something, like a black piece of paper or something similar between the protector and the screen, so I don't see the screens glow in the dark, but can still use its buttons...
try it, if you got some kind of protector around your gamepad

Same here.

If the screen actually bothers me that much then I just put a cloth over it and then it's done.

I've gotten used to charge the GamePad when it asks.

Wooley-X64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really want to void your warranty over this? You realize if you do break your game pad, it's $130 to replace.
Yes, I'd love to mod my system, breaking it is always a possibility. I could drop the game pad and it could die, but then again, the guy at the retail establishment said these things are fragile. So I picked up the extra warranty. (I doubt they are going to check for a broken label at a retail outlet) *May be against your religion, but not mine.

Do method number two, keep it in the charging cradle, put a blanket or something over it.

I wanted to use the controller to navigate through the menu, I just didn't want the screen on showing me the same thing that was on the TV on its wicked lame low life battery. It doesn't do much good on the cradle across the room. Walking upstairs to get the wii motes, not so much of a thing I want to do daily either.

That's the best you can do for now. But it doesn't mirror the screen, doesn't it put like video information down there as an alternative option?

The Wii U updated in the background and I now have this working as default. I assume netflix put out an update that addressed this issue. It really did use to mirror the image with no "INTUITIVE" way to disable it.

I don't mind the video info on the screen as much as I did the mirroring, so this problem is now gone.

Chances are the GamePad won't even work if the screen is detached (same as having a switch on it in the off position).

Well, detached and powered off are two different configurations. If I power off my monitor that doesn't mean my PC is going to turn off right?

People with busted iPhone screens can still receive calls.

Installing an inline switch between the power and the screen seems like overkill, but its not like I am able to write the code to press the power button for a split second and put the item to sleep or turn off the display, like just about any smart phone we have today. Even my Laptop will go into sleep if I just press power (Not hold).

I find it uncanny that the with its limited battery life, and at the same time the system's eagerness to be power efficient...("If you idle for more than 1 hour I will automatically turn OFF") that the game pad will sit in an always on mode.

For the longevity of the battery and for the sake of not wasting electricity, why does the device not have this simple option? A LiPo battery has a finite number of cycles and on top of that the battery is just garbage. Really a 3.7v 1s LiPo Cell with only 1500mah in a $130 controller?

They could have used something as simple as a AA shaped LiPo with greater capacity like this:

DSC_0698.jpg

But that is for another discussion.

put something, like a black piece of paper or something similar between the protector and the screen,

GENIUS! I love it. I will do that. Totally solves the annoyance issue, but the battery being drained for what seems like no reason. That's just an oversight on the designers part.

Thank you all for the responses.
-Wooley

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Yes, I'd love to mod my system, breaking it is always a possibility. I could drop the game pad and it could die, but then again, the guy at the retail establishment said these things are fragile. So I picked up the extra warranty. (I doubt they are going to check for a broken label at a retail outlet) *May be against your religion, but not mine.
He either thought that was honestly true or he just bullshitted you into buying an unneeded warranty.

I've seen the GamePad at work dropping countless times and that thing still works perfectly (not saying it should be dropped though), it's worth mentioning that Nintendo produced these oversized controllers with in mind that kids were going to use them also.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Well, detached and powered off are two different configurations. If I power off my monitor that doesn't mean my PC is going to turn off right?

People with busted iPhone screens can still receive calls.

Installing an inline switch between the power and the screen seems like overkill, but its not like I am able to write the code to press the power button for a split second and put the item to sleep or turn off the display, like just about any smart phone we have today. Even my Laptop will go into sleep if I just press power (Not hold).

-Wooley

It might be different in devices like this. It's more comparable to something like removing a capacitor from your PC.
The 3DS won't work if you remove the top screen IIRC.

loco365

Trophies
XP
What I'd do, is simply have a scredriver nearby, and when I don't need it anymore, just pop out the gamepad battery. Not only are you conserving the battery's power, but you're also not voiding your warranty!

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep the cradle and a wiimote on the table near the couch. Don't even have to get up. I only have to get up when I have people over and want to give them a controller. Even then, I often just ask my guests to get their own controller off the other table. Why don't you keep all your Wii stuff in the same room? If you don't keep a charger near your couch, how do you keep playing the game when the power goes out?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o